Skip navigation

Engine Clean

Back to the top
Just refurb the servo yourself, I'm hopeless mechanically etc but managed it.

I bought a new expansion tank as the originals always go yellow.

Can't find a pic of the sprayed servo

Back to the top
Engine block before clean and paint

Cleaned

Taped

Painted

Refurbed bits going on

Finished

Back to the top
Ok you could have talked me into it …. But just remember … I could need tips on repairing front end after brake failure  O_o

Back to the top
As I said I learned as I went and not only refurbing things yourself saves you a fortune it feels better that you did it yourself :-)

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

As I said I learned as I went and not only refurbing things yourself saves you a fortune it feels better that you did it yourself :-)

Chris, Can you remember the paint you used for the water pump, oil cooler etc as it seems to have a slight gold tint, I was going to go down the route of yellow zinc plating, but it seems a bit complicated and I like the finish you have got here.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
The brake pad holders i had powder coated but the actual calipers need painting. Yes I also had the rad brackets powder coated. Can you paint the engine in place it has the engine got be removed??

Back to the top

RichardHall said

Massbad69 said

Chris, Can you remember the paint you used for the water pump, oil cooler etc as it seems to have a slight gold tint, I was going to go down the route of yellow zinc plating, but it seems a bit complicated and I like the finish you have got here.
Richard

There's no gold tint, it may just be the pics. The paint was just Halfords heat resistant aluminium paint if I remember correctly.
The waterpump casing was a new one.

Back to the top

p12aac said

The brake pad holders i had powder coated but the actual calipers need painting. Yes I also had the rad brackets powder coated. Can you paint the engine in place it has the engine got be removed??

Obviously it would be better to remove the engine but I'm not clever enough for that, so I did it all in place.

I removed the full cooling system to give space at the front, then stripped the WUR, oil cooler, alternator etc of the front of the block.

Then refurbed or replaced all the removed parts and then cleaned and painted the block.

I had collected lots of bits over a good while and luckily, I had sourced an original coded gearbox, got it rebuilt and sprayed, then fitted which helped massively.

Back to the top
Regards your servo, for what you can see of it I would rub it down in situ, a couple of coats of primer with a brush, wetflat with fine paper and either spray it satin or brush paint it if you don't want to mask it up. Once all the pipework is on you hardly see any of it. If you make a good job of the rest of it then no one will ever notice. The bracket and arm along the back probably are Ok with just a clean or some thin brushed satin black.

Back to the top
Again guys thanks for your advice ....

Back to the top
Last question i think!!!  O_o Any tips on what to use to remove waxoyl???? would stream work?? Petrol,and so on?

Back to the top
http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/mk1-golf-washer-jet-hose-4960-p.asp

Also there you go Richard……….Washer bottle pipe

Back to the top

LennyD said

Last question i think!!!  O_o Any tips on what to use to remove waxoyl???? would stream work?? Petrol,and so on?

You are flying on this - great work so far.  :thumbs:

Great advice from Chriss too - he is the detailing King.  :cool:

I wouldn't remove the waxoyl. Products like Waxoyl are great for keeping moisture out of places it shouldn't be and, if done right, can protect your inner arches very nicely.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Correct on the washer jet pipe too.  ;)

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
cheers Shughy

Back to the top

Can anyone tell me if I have put this on the right way? Or should it go the other way like below?

Back to the top
I just realise that both these are the same way does it go the other way ors this correct ?

Back to the top

Picture of other end

Back to the top
If you do want to remove any waxoyl where it's run and you don't want it, white spirit is best, steam just blasts it somewhere else.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Cheers Richard  :thumbs: could do with the manual for my car ….89 gti cabby any tips guys ?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.