Skip navigation

Engine Clean

Back to the top

We'll today was the start of my engine clean. Must say it's come up better than I expected!!! The one thing I could do with a hand with would be some advice on new parts!!!

Do I remove all the genuine parts have them powder coated or try to buy replacements …. Things like the  Brake servo, cam cover ,  rad fan cover , Rocker cover….. And so on… Got great feedback at the anniversary gathering on my car bodywork and interior so want  to now get the engine upto scratch

I am mechanic so how difficult are theses parts to change … Would I be better getting someone to help ?

Any help would be great  ;)

Back to the top
When I did mine I used a mixture of powder coated parts that I bought, lots of shiny bolts etc and also spray painted lots of bits as well.

If I can do it anyone can :-)

Back to the top
Looks like a top job that pal … I think I want to take the parts off and powder coat …. So think it's a job for the end of the summer .. Unsure if they will come up to the standard I want though.     we

Back to the top
I took about a year yo slowly gather the parts up and then did the bay through January.

Back to the top
Wow .. Best start now then  ;)

Back to the top
A nice straight looking engine bay you have there.  Be careful cleaning the shiny parts of the fuel lines, yours look really original from the picture and still seem to have the "yellow zinc" plating on them - would not touch them with anything too abrasive as they may go highly polished but you lose the yellow effect.

The Alternator should polish up like massband69s I did mine with a Dremel and a felt wheel and mortal polish.

You can get some copies if original stickers for coil, alternator and fuel meter head if you damage any - not sure what the cabbys had if the were the same as the original tintops.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Cheers Richard .. Do you both think the parts will come up correct if I powder coat ?

Back to the top
Yes, powder coating the radiator cowling, rocker cover and straps and timing belt cover make a huge difference and they will come up fine.

Then as Richard says, new stickers, shiny bolts and jubilees etc make all the difference.

Here's a link to where u get stainless bolts etc

http://www.liquidmetalrefinement.co.uk/store/c2/Mk1_Golf.html

Back to the top
Daft things also

Clean your washer bottle out with sand and gunk.

New washer hose for pennies.

New expansion tank hose as well.

Good rubber cleaner, I use Autoglym rubber cleaner.

Back to the top
Your bay looks clean anyway so it shouldn't take too much :-)

Back to the top
Thanks for all your help guys…..i think i will have no problem removing all theses parts its just the servo i am not sure about……Would i be better getting someone that knows there onions to do this ???

I am also looking for the plastic trim that goes down the side of the windscreen O/S these seem impossible to find…Any ideas ?

Back to the top

LennyD said

Thanks for all your help guys…..i think i will have no problem removing all theses parts its just the servo i am not sure about……Would i be better getting someone that knows there onions to do this ???

I am also looking for the plastic trim that goes down the side of the windscreen O/S these seem impossible to find…Any ideas ?

The A pillar trims arent made anymore and a nightmare to get hold off.

I got the garage to remove and refit my servo as its a fair job.

Back to the top
Hi mate looks exactly like my bay. I have just had fan cowling, timing belt cover and caliper holders back from powder coaters and am painting servo and rocker cover easy enough to get off. I will post some pics next week when complete

Back to the top
Massbad what size is the windscreen wash hose that's a good tip looking on ebay not sure what siZe to order

Back to the top
I can't remember now :-(

6mm or 8mm inside diameter ??

Back to the top
I'm sure vw heritage sell it in black.

Also I'm sure you can use Vw Golf mk3 washer hose.

Back to the top
I will try and measure it
Some how. Hope I can get it half as good as yours

Back to the top
Think I am going to fit a new servo … All the rest of the parts I will remove and have powder coated next week … Thanks for the washer bottle tip MassBad69 … However do you think a replacement will be better?? Are the ones available good copies ??? Or did you just clean yours??

P12… Yes please post pictures then i can see if I am going in the right direction …. When you say caliper holders … What do you mean?? The top 2 rad brackets ?

Back to the top
New servo costs a fortune !!

Gunk and sand then a bent over tent peg with a bit duster taped on, like a giant cotton bud did this in half an hour. Dishwasher also does a great job.

Back to the top
Not got as far as the price … Should check that first I guess ….. That's a great tip then …did you do the same with the rad one 2 … If so I'm on that at the weekend … Again thanks for the tips !!  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.