Skip navigation

The Red Rocket! My Mk1 Tdi build

Back to the top

The progress so far.......

really digging pd conversions man, keep at it

Back to the top

KevMk1Tdi said

TwoFourDonkey said

Looks good Key. Now stop dicking around with houses and get it done!

Oh yeah……..guess who?

But with the new house comes a new garage and way more space for playing!

So; Saturday was moving day…….off to her new home

And safely tucked up

Loads of space to work now.

The Red Rocket! My Mk1 Tdi Build.....

My VAG family:

1982 Mk1, PD130 Tdi, 6 speed, ongoing project, to be my daily driver (one day)!
1983 Mk1, 1.8 Gti, stripped out, ongoing project, track car only.
1990 Mk1 Cabrio, 1.8 8v Turbo, G60 ECU, long term project (17 years so far)!
2008 T5 LWB, 1.9 Tdi, to be converted to camper when I've finished using it as a van!
1999 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 2.5 Tdi, currently off the road, more work required.
2010 Tiguan R-Line, daily driver. 

Back to the top
Lucky you that is a awesome garage

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Recently got hold of a decent set of seats; Porsche Boxter fronts and rear bench trimmed to match. Half leather and Mk6 (I think) cloth.
Did a quick trial fit before I strip out the whole interior to rewire the car and fit the TT dash.

Fronts have been welded onto VW sub frames but I don't think they are Mk1; adjuster handles are on the wrong side…..

They still fit but think I think the fronts are a bit high at the back so I might try to trim down the rear tubes a bit…..

They look pretty good.

My VAG family:

2008 T5 LWB, 1.9 Tdi, to be converted to camper when I've finished using it as a van!
1999 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 2.5 Tdi, currently off the road, more work required.

Back to the top
Great thread mate :thumbs:

Amazing man cave :wub:

Back to the top
Not done a great deal lately; been busy sorting out the garage so it's easier to work, then I will get stuck in. 
Bought myself a delayed Chrimbo prezzie……..

Will need spacers and some camber adjustment but should look good. Not sure about keeping the gold or changing to body colour?

My VAG family:

Back to the top
Couldn't resist getting the rears on for a test too; with 5mm spacers and the coilovers removed to see how they look…..

Gave the rims a quick polish as well; need to get some decent polish and wax to seal them……

My VAG family:

Back to the top
A bit more playing with the wheels; I'm quite happy with the fitment on the rear, they fit better than I expected. I'm definitely going to need some arch work; might get away with just rolling them.

They are 7" rims with, according to the sticker on the back, an ET40. I think maybe someone has fitted wider rims which has changed the ET to more like 28-30 maybe.
Fitted with 5mm spacers they sit in the arch more like an 8" rim would normally look except I have more space behind them for the airbags.

With a not-too-severe drop she should look ok; not sure on tyre size though. I obviously want to avoid arch scraping but don't want an over-stretched look. Maybe a 175/50/16, hard to tell until they are on there. The colour is growing on me as well; i'll keep the gold for now.

I finally found a use for that 'Work-Mate' I've had stashed in the garage for 7 years!

After inspecting the wheels I decided I wanted to strip them down to clean them up and re-seal them. Not a full re-furb at the moment but a decent clean and polish. There seems to be a lot of balancing weights on them so I suspect somebody has stripped them in the past and didn't mark them up to re-align them on assembly.

They came apart fairly easily as they hadn't been re-sealed when last assembled.

The bench works a treat for holding the wheels while cleaning

I've started polishing the rims by hand using some Autoglym paint renovator being careful not to rub too hard to scratch them.

They've not come up too bad but still have quite a lot of very small marks on the surface, not scratches, more like stone chips. I may be able to get rid of them by hand without resorting to machine polishing

My VAG family:

Back to the top

The Red Rocket! My Mk1 Tdi build

Nice wheels those mate, look forward to seeing them on at the AGM?

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Nice one man... Cant wait to see the finished car

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.