Skip navigation

Jamie's MK1 Gti Tintop Project ...Miami Blue :D

Back to the top

2.0 16v to go in

Hi guys ,my names Jamie im 22..  I just recently brought this golf as project iv always wanted one ..Shes a 83 GTI tintop 119,000 on the clock…..brought her stripped previous owner had to sell ….Its Had a lot of work done before…Re-spray in baby blue was white (needs redoing though prob doing it florida blue ), S1 bumpers ,Opening quarter lights , Drilled and slotted brakes all round , 2.0 16v 9a conversion however not in the car at the mo all wiring done by crazyquiffs , Adular mesh 3piece split rims very rare …

My plans are to tidy the engine bay up half smooth it …tidy up all the engine parts and reinstate engine keeping the fuel injection for now …then repair all the rusty bodywork and respray it (unsure on colour yet ) , Source all new interior and fit

Some pics of car when I got it,

Thanks

Last edit: by mk1 Jamie

Back to the top
Just commented on your other post, and this one answers my question! Looks like the body does need a bit of work, nothing too bad though.

Are you staying with Florida Blue?

Looking forward to the updates  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Just commented on your other post, and this one answers my question! Looks like the body does need a bit of work, nothing too bad though.

Are you staying with Florida Blue?

Looking forward to the updates  :thumbs:
Yep :Ddoes need some work nothing to bad unless when I start doing the body work I find bodges lol

Im unsure on colour yet I don't even know if it is Florida blue I think it is ….I may do it new vw beetle denim blue will have to get some opinions on that though :)thanks
J

Back to the top
Some more picture for you all of what iv done so far . Started figuring out where everything goes…and tidying up the engine and engine bay bits

Engine Degreased

Bits removed from engine

Painted bits

Some bits arrived

New coolant pipe to replace bodged one

Engine painted with por 15 engine enamel

Painted bits bolted back on starting to look nice :D

Onto the brake servo was quite corroded from brake fluid leak

Painted bits

All back together done :D

On to the engine bay

Quite abit of surface rust

Battery tray cut out batterys going in the boot along with the washer bottle

Brackets and clips removerd…expansion tank bracket removed either going for a alloy tank or a top fill rad

Started stripping the paint, rust and  very thick seam sealer off

More updates soon

Jamie

Back to the top
hi guys got abit more done stripped the sound deadening and the rust and seam seal from the rain tray

some more bits painted

More updates soon going to start re-seam sealing and welding the holes up in engine bay next week :DThanks jamie

Back to the top
Bit of an update , got the engine bay in some primer to stop it rusting …seam sealed all the joints not going for super smooth bay just a tidier one . Got my granddads old welder set up and done my first ever welds didn't do to badly I don't think …..

first welds

ground back

took the rubber bungs out aswell to be welded

Plates welded on the back also seam sealed these so no water can get into the welds

Decided to weld the ones up in the rain tray aswell as they are not needed

plates made

welded and grinded back

Starting now on the filler this week …let me know what you think guys …:)thanks jamie

Back to the top
Wow, quick turnaround on the work you've done. I drove down 2 hours to chelmsford to take a look at this but it was far worse than my shelll (so not a viable replacement), but a fairly tidy little projects. Paint work was shocking (runs and spots all over lol) and the rear arches were a state (as you know lol), to be honest, if I had my trailor there at the time I would still have bought it lol.

Looks like its had some sort of work done on th roof too as there is a sun roof shape cutout on the underside which didn't look normal and 2 straight lines of rust under the paintwork on either side of the roof, along with a small dent, maybe looking into it too much so couldn't be sure..

The bumpers, wheels, opening quarters, mirrors etc really apealed to me though lol.. Almost bought the car for the parts alone and then sold the shell on lol..

Looks like you making easy work of it thpugh.. will be nice to see thi take shape!

Few pics I took when I went down :D https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203972577385405.1073741836.1551810187&type=1&l=0613c7dd65

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Last edit: by alfie

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Thanks .. ..Yeah its definatly worse under the surface as it looked aswell been bodged a lot in its past …but will sort it ..roof was abit of a concern must have had a roof skin ontop of the original rather than cutting old one out not sure what im going to do about that yet lol

yeah its got good bits on it so defo worth the buy needs alot of parts though list is getting bigger and bigger lol

Jamie

Back to the top
UPDATE ..Iv been busy..

New alloy coolant tank

Made a bracket and test mounted it …let me know what you think guys ??

Got all the welded areas filled and sanded ready for primer

Started on the other areas of rust …Door and sill

not the neatest welding still learning ground down okay though

How much filler ???

Had to cut out the boot seam and replace

Rear arch rusty

Think my weldings getting better don't think I done too bad considering not done much welding befor

all ground down

That's all for now

let me know what you think :)jamie

Back to the top
Great work mate :-)

Back to the top
good work mate  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice wok mate, where are you based? Should have got you to do my welding! Better than what the previous welder did to mine lol!

I suspected there was a bit of filler in sills as the swage line for the trim was filled it, didn't expect that much though lol.

Looks really good though and fast prpgress!

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Great work mate :-)

Neil20vt said

good work mate  :thumbs:

:D Thanks guys :D

Alfie said

Nice wok mate, where are you based? Should have got you to do my welding! Better than what the previous welder did to mine lol!

I suspected there was a bit of filler in sills as the swage line for the trim was filled it, didn't expect that much though lol.

Looks really good though and fast prpgress!

Thanks mate…. Im in chatham Kent :D ..really lol im still learning mostly in the welders set up I think ..one more bit of major rust to tackle and that's the Apillar then be done welding…yeah its had both sills replaced so been filled over… a lot at that end though not necessary lol

thanks hope to keep this speed up lol

Back to the top
Little update …Got the car in the garage and all the glass out and trims removed e.c.t and got some more rust sorted

Apillar rust

Cut out

Welded new piece in an ground down

Then found this that I wasn't expecting under loads of filler

Started on the bracket to hold the battery in the boot

Mounted the screen wash bottle in their too :)

Had a delivery of the first lot of painting supplies ,epoxy primer ,2k primer ,thinners, hardener and filler

Thanks
Jamie

Back to the top
Nice work Jamie  :thumbs:

Did you manage to avoid any warpage around the filler neck?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice work Jamie  :thumbs:

Did you manage to avoid any warpage around the filler neck?

Think so welded it in small sections ..nothing to major anyway :)

Jamie :D

Back to the top
Hi Jamie

Great looking project, love the blue  :thumbs:  like the original brass coolant pipe,even more  :lol:

Looks like your making great progress.

Matt

Back to the top
Great threadf....highlight the brass piping, guessing it was previously owned by a plumber!!

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Hi Jamie

Great looking project, love the blue  :thumbs:  like the original brass coolant pipe,even more  :lol:

Looks like your making great progress.

Matt

Cheers buddy :D might be changing the colour alittle bit…. Miami blue possibly don't know yet :/ decisions decisions :/ ………….

shepp said

Great threadf….highlight the brass piping, guessing it was previously owned by a plumber!!

Thanks ..Haha don't know about plumber cheap skate defo though amount of bodges been done.

Will get some more pics up soon iv epoxy primed all the bare metal and started filler work now :D

Thanks
Jamie

Back to the top
Mines going to be Miami blue  :thumbs:  eventually  O_o
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.