Skip navigation

Car wont idle right!!

Back to the top
I then had no fuel filling up due to a stuck vavle but that's sorted now it now runs but I've lost the little plastic wheel which allows the choke thing to move properly and the stupid thing won't idle so if anyone wants a very cheap mk1 golf that won't run properly you can have it before I kick a big dent in the door with frustration  :P  

'83 1.3 Golf Driver GT - Project thread
Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Mazza buddy dont give in! I know exactly the feeling but its worth it. Exactly the same as what mine did though, dunno what to suggest cos I never really sorted it, maybe find someone who works on beetles cos the carbs are similar from what I hear?

Okay maybe I technically gave in by EFI…

How bad is the rest of the engine mechanically? like how do you know the rings are worn etc? Just if the compression is crappy anyway then I cant imagine it will run great whatever you do to the fuelling side of things!

If it was running fine before though and suddenly went bad then there must be a simple problem… :/ You sure theres no air leak around the inlet manifold or carb base?

TBH though since I am in the same position with you with a levels and study leave I would just take it to someone who knows what they are doing.. or find a set of these for sale..
 :ninja: :ninja:EDIT: the only one thing I can say that is useful is that the issue seemed to be gone until I ran out of petrol one day (please don't laugh too hard.. it was like 10 and I was hoping the fuel station was open.. :/)
I had to remove the top of the carb to pour fuel directly into the bowl as cranking over the car for ages didn't manage to bring fuel up. After that the idle was not as good. Maybe an issue with the gasket around the top, float level not quite right or just sucking muck into the bowl. Definitely ran worse though! So maybe check and double check those things? And please don't kick your door ;) You'll get there.

Back to the top
Yeah I really just can't think what it is now :/ other than something wrong within the carb,

I've had to fit a catch can because the crank case ventilation hose which went to the inlet housing was covering the filter in oil because the rings are worn and exhaust gasses are passing through building up pressure in the bottom end 
It must be something mechanical or something because its tempremental so I might out my old dizzy on and see it the electronic ignition is messing up? 

I'm sure it's not because if I move it about it doesn't change and I've sprayed things and it doesn't change anything 

Its annoying because it is distracting me from revision so I might have to get insured on another car to get to my exams :/ 
If my engine is in good nick then I will be getting twin 40's because they're awesome  :ninja:

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Its not the leccy ignition as I've tried my old dizzy, its also not the air cutoff switch as I've tried a spare one I had so either there's a problem in the carb or its the piston rings because I honestly can't think it could be anything else! I've been insured on my dads car so I'm leaving my car until after exams!

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Good call matey :) wish you the best of luck.. I should probably get my ar$e off here and do some revision too.. 

Back to the top
Cheers mate, good luck in yours  :thumbs:

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Had some spare time yesterday so I decided to change my ignition coil back to my old one and see if it was that aaaaand…… nothing  :dry: so im banking on it being the carb thats at fault but other than the jets being block (which they aren't) I cant think what part of the carb could be causing this issue  :ocf_emoticons__dontknow:

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Crazy quiffs did me a second hand carb for 40 quid and pretty sure they said I could return it at a loss of postage costs if it didn't help. May be an option?

Back to the top
Grr triple post :$

Last edit: by mazza411

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Dont even ask how i managed this :lol:

Last edit: by mazza411

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Thats doesnt sound like a bad deal, might look into that. Although, i was tempted to buy the kit that is on ebay (£180 though  O_o ) for a weber conversion and run that this year and when ive got more money and time next year do some more serious engine mods/rebuilds

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Had someone come round last night who took out the mixture and idle screws and we discovered that the o-ring on the mixture screw had dissintegrated and had obviously caused some blockages. We blew lots of compressed air into it and it seems to have helped things a great deal, it is now drivable. Its a good job i had some o-rings left over from when I rebuilt the carb because originally the ones that came with the kit seemed too small so a larger one was used but that never seemed right so we managed to put the smaller ones on and my car is fixed :D although i will be stripping the carb to make sure its all clear when I get the chance  :thumbs:  :D  ^_^  :rockon:

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Good to hear mate  :thumbs:

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.