Skip navigation

Mk1 GTi Engine Rebuild

Back to the top
Hi All,

I'm looking to rebuild my 1983 Gti DX engine, with the odd few performance tweeks.

If anyone has any good links for parts suppliers, or links to other gti engine rebuilds do please share as every little will help.

it was a nice day today so I managed to tidy afew things and get the engine on the stand and ready to take apart tomorrow hopefully to inspect the inside.

Back to the top
TSR Performance would be a good start. If you're wanting to keep it fairly standard but with a few tweaks then one of their upgraded heads would suit ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
have just done the same to mine this winter..
anything i may be able to help with gimme a shout mate.  :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
you may find this site useful - i did!!!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:Volkswagen Workshop Service and Repair Manuals)/enginecrankshaft_group_pistons/removing_and_install
ing_sealing_flange_and_pressure_plate/

scroll down to mk1 - duh!!!! - then on the left select engine/mechanics - has pretty much all the guides you need, plus there are plenty of helpful people on here for when you get stuck.
:thumbs::thumbs: 

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
Did my engine rebuild with TSR performance - I also sourced a few of my part through them.   

1983 VW Golf Mk1 Gti

2006 VW Caddy

My Build Thread 

Back to the top
Thanks for the replys guys.

I starting taking the block apart yesterday. What i found once I removed the cylinder head wasn't good. Piston bore number 3 was rusty like anything. Looks as though water has been sitting in there for a long time. O_oI've ended up spraying wd40 down the bore and gently as possible scrapping the rust off the sides and cleaning the bore with alittle wet and dry 600grit. Anyone know why it could be like this?

Before moving the pistons I rocked it from side to side and there is some play in all the pistons. I'm guessing this means the rings are gone or the bores are worn? Afew pictures below.

photo IMAG2336_zpsfcyhl2wj.jpg

Back to the top
wow has that been sat in the rain ??? hmmm water in bore  :o  didnt know you could get water in there i know oil and fule can mix happend to my tfsi wish you luck fella if only i had the guts to pull the engine out im guessing you have done this many of times any plans on over boring cams head work ect  :thumbs:  

Back to the top

TONYS OCD VW said

wow has that been sat in the rain ??? hmmm water in bore  :o  didnt know you could get water in there i know oil and fule can mix happend to my tfsi wish you luck fella if only i had the guts to pull the engine out im guessing you have done this many of times any plans on over boring cams head work ect  :thumbs:  

First time doing this sort of work. Just learning as I go along with the help of dubbers on the forum.

Only possible explanation could be the gasket went, or there is a crack somewhere letting water in? I bought the block off someone who said it was sat for 8 years or so. Maybe it's been left outside at one point and water some how managed to get in? idk.

I'm hoping to keep it a 1.8l but I'm not too sure if I can, as the water has caused some pitting around the cylinder bore.

Back to the top
lol fair play to ya im doing the same iv never changed a bulb but im getting pretty good at knowing most bits and mate some one in the engines for sale has got a much better block as a start its very cheap im no engine builder but the coolant cools the head right so yea cracked head plus it needs to be rebored any ways ££££ ive got the kr in mine if ur after power then its a good swap for na engines or may be a audi 2.0  ;)

Back to the top
Before the world cup kicks off, thought I would do some more work.

Managed to strip all the bits now. The main and big end bearings look like they need changing.

What happens to the crankshaft were the bearings sit, do i need to get that turned down by a engine machine shop, or is there something i can do myself?

crankshaft, were the main piston bearings sit.

The main bearings don't seem too bad?

Big end bearings, seem ok?

Althought the crankshaft, does seem to be scored, afair bit.

Back to the top
Where abouts are you based mate? I'm guessing Stockton area from your name?

I have a spare DX engine you can have if you're interested?

Back to the top
Cheers mate, I'm in London. If I travel up anytime soon, and you still have it I'll take it from you. 

Back to the top
I would take that to an engineers to have it inspected before you go any further.

they will be able to check the crank for "roundness" !!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  and advise on bearings, shells, etc..
also they will be able to check the rusty bore and see if they can rebore it and rescue it.

crank looks ok, but I'm not sure on that bore…

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
Just come back from an engineers. He recommended having it bored out. And crankshaft reground.

Re grinding the crankshaft and getting oversized bearings was coming to £300. Then reboring was coming to £150 ish and that's not including the pistons.  :o

Back to the top
What other bottom end block can I use with the dx cylinder head and kjet setup

Back to the top
they wanted how much !!!! but then look at the state that engines in get a nice lil half recon engine and cam it change the kjets for a webber set up will sound  :wub:

Back to the top

vw_tees said

Just come back from an engineers. He recommended having it bored out. And crankshaft reground.

Re grinding the crankshaft and getting oversized bearings was coming to £300. Then reboring was coming to £150 ish and that's not including the pistons.  :o

About the same as me then.
crank and bearings £300
rebore and pistons with rings £300..

at least then you know 100% it will be spot on!

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top

vw_tees said

As Richie says, sounds about right price wise. I just paid £1000 for my 20V T to be done lol :o

Just let me know if your coming up to my neck of the woods and you can take the engine no probs :thumbs:

Back to the top
Update:

Slight change of plans, as the bottom end was costing too much to repair, i've managed to get hold of a vw mk3 golf 2.0l 8v bottom end, engine code AGG. I've been reading a few posts of this and other forums on the conversion. I'll be using the same gti mk1 cylinder head, and bolting it onto the bottom end mk3 2.0l.

I've read that the exhaust and intake valves should be enlarged, due to the bottom end needing more air.

I'll looking to get the engine back into the and runner for the mk1 golf owners club gathering on the 25th&27th july. So I won't be enlarging the the valves, instead i've got hold of a bigger throlltle body, and decided to smooth out the intake manifold. Heres the progress so far, would like to hear from anyone who has done this mod. What they did regarding the Wur, and general difficulties setting everything upland getting it working.

Testing the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold

2.0l AGG bottom end.

the side walls are looking good. Although there was some plan in the pistons from side to side..is that normal?

smoothing out the manifold.

Bigger throttle body.

Matching the throttle to the intake manifold.

Last edit: by vw_tees

Back to the top
Sweet u went for the mk3 what head u useing any plans ???
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.