Skip navigation

My unique door cards with a cornish beachy twist.

Back to the top
Definitely Cornish dude!! :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looks very different mate. Nice work.

Back to the top
Hi matey.. I am just having my custom door cards done in leather as we speak.. Having just been through the trials and tribulations of building some slightly thicker, more acoustic door cards, I can see a couple of potential problems that you may want to look at.. First of all, let me show you my 7mm birch ply door cards, then explain what concerns me about yours..

If you look at the door lock mechanism, I have routed mine and then sanded the edge.. This is so that the plastic latch surround still sits flush with the lever.. Then when it gets covered with leather and the plastic surround fitted, the hard edge at the edge of the routing won't show and the leather will take a natural curve in to the routed area.. You said you are leaving yours natural wood grain. so the sanding isn't so important to take the edge of the routing, but you might want to consider routing the area where the handle surround will fit.. Also if you are using the rubber grommet from the adjustable mirrors, you might want to route that too..  The other option, seeing as you have used two pieces of 4mm ply is to adjust the top piece to allow a larger opening at these two areas.. Hope this helps..

Back to the top

The Gerbster said

Definitely Cornish dude!! :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Cheers mate appreciate the feed back:)

Many Thanks Taron‹

Back to the top

walt said

Hi matey.. I am just having my custom door cards done in leather as we speak.. Having just been through the trials and tribulations of building some slightly thicker, more acoustic door cards, I can see a couple of potential problems that you may want to look at.. First of all, let me show you my 7mm birch ply door cards, then explain what concerns me about yours..

If you look at the door lock mechanism, I have routed mine and then sanded the edge.. This is so that the plastic latch surround still sits flush with the lever.. Then when it gets covered with leather and the plastic surround fitted, the hard edge at the edge of the routing won't show and the leather will take a natural curve in to the routed area.. You said you are leaving yours natural wood grain. so the sanding isn't so important to take the edge of the routing, but you might want to consider routing the area where the handle surround will fit.. Also if you are using the rubber grommet from the adjustable mirrors, you might want to route that too..  The other option, seeing as you have used two pieces of 4mm ply is to adjust the top piece to allow a larger opening at these two areas.. Hope this helps..

Hi mate thanks for having a look at this. Ive seen your work and by any chance are you a chippy?! ;)

I know what you mean about routing the door handle section, I'm going to be using the chrome metal ones and I'm hoping they'll be sitting on top of the birch ply.
As for the mirror adjuster, i have the wolfsburg ones and again I'm hoping that they'll cover the hole i have drilled for the stem. Once i get around to putting it all back together il let you know how i get on and upload some pictures.

cheers mete:)

Many Thanks Taron‹

Back to the top
Hi Taron.. No I'm not a Chippy.. Just a perfectionist.. I just enjoy making and renovating things.. Over the last 10-15 years, I have built up quite an artillery of tools. I always buy the best quality tools that I can afford rather than cheap stuff. So now, when I want to make something, it is made that much easier by having everything there that I need… The more things you make, the better at it you get and so on and so forth.. Don't be scared of making a prototype.. I made a template for mine so that I can just make some more if need be.. Nice to see a sturdier mounting point for the mid bass speaker.. Not sure if you countersunk the clips, if not, get plenty of wood glue in the gap between the two pieces of ply.. Last thing you want is any buzzing.. You may also encounter buzzing of the door card against the internal door skin, especially if you are not using the original handle / arm rest to anchor the centre of the door card.. In this case, a bit of double sided foam tape might put a stop to it.. If the clips will allow it, you could also dynomat the back of the card.. Good luck and let us know how you get on, be interesting to see what kind of audio upgrade you got from the thicker door card..
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.