Skip navigation

Mars Red Y plate GTI

Back to the top
LOL, I guess you could have run over worse! lol

Your steering wheel horn push should have been GTI and I'm sure the twin light grille was an option but tbh I always forget! lol

Ref the fuel leak, I'd put money on it being the O-ring under the sender on top of the tank.

Next time you fill up, take the back seat out and remove the black, round cover to expose the top of the sender cover. If the O-ring has gone then you'll see the fuel brim over the top of the tank.

You can still get them, they're less than a tenner I think. I'm sure Mark funk-star could help you out on that one ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Seal for tank is a couple of £ 

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Good to see it's coming along, got a series 1 steering wheel in mine too…much nicer in my opinion.. :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
Looking good m8.

Back to the top
Hi your car looks great, I've got a red mk1 Gti and live in poole and my sister lives in romsey , like you said in your early posts should start a meet around are area if you do keep me in the loop  :thumbs:

Back to the top
yeah we definately need to start a local meet up for sure!
i'm only in bournemouth  -will start a thread in the local meets section..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Less than 10 days until 1st April and tax time - thought it was time to get the car out and ensure a level of readiness…

Love the fact it sat unstarted in a barn for 12 years, I bought it this time last year and did less than 250 miles over the summer before sticking it back in a smaller 'barn' and have only started it a couple of times over the last 6 months and she just fires up first time…with no trickle charge or battery conditioning.

Did a couple of bits a pieces - put the new door pockets on to replace the broken one.

Finally managed to get my hands on a half decent original parcel shelf so replaced the nice smooth, clean, consistently black custom one that came in the car with a slightly faded, cracked and worn original one. Ahhh - the joys of returning a car to standard. Still, think it looks better. Just need to get a replacement hanger as the eye has broken on one of them….and need to figure out the attachment to the rear seats….as I think the bar on the back of the seats in there is missing….but might be present on the spare interior I have.

Also did a badge refurb with a kit provided by chortle  which is a massive improvement and has got me out of the cycle of buying early Mk2 grill badges that I'd managed to get into.

From this:

To this:

So - ready to face the summer:

Funny how pictures make the paint look great….rather than the slightly tatty, stone chipped, faded, multi-coloured, scratched and rusty truth of it.

So now all I need to do is figure out why all the fuel falls out, get the slow puncture sorted and get the heater valve replaced, and clean up the engine bay, and get the hole in the tailgate repaired and resprayed, and stop the wipers working in slow motion, and get a period stereo, a some new suspension, and brakes, and probably some RMs, and get the Supersprint replaced with something more standard looking, and get the spare seats re-trimmed, and……

Anyone want to buy a Golf? :lol:

Y plate Mk1 GTI
65 plate 430d - newest addition
52 plate VW Bora - daily hack [255k]
15 plate 330d Touring - wife's car

Back to the top
looking better all the time!  :)

are you coming to the meet at ringwood next month??

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
That's the plan so long as Mr. Sunshine is also attending…

Y plate Mk1 GTI
65 plate 430d - newest addition
52 plate VW Bora - daily hack [255k]
15 plate 330d Touring - wife's car

Back to the top
Excellent!!
see you there..  :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.