Skip navigation

My GTI, ready for show season

Back to the top
Hi All, I've been a quiet/silent user on this forum for about a year, using it often as a source of info and inspiration, so firstly thanks to you all for that, and your input/content.

Ive owned VW's for all my driving days, my 1st car was a mk1 Driver, I've had a mk2 GTI 16v, mk4 25 Anni, currently drive a mk5 Edition 30 as my daily.
It's always been my dream to have a mk1 GTI convertible…my dream came true in June 2013, when I picked up a very well maintained 1984 (A reg) white on white model.
I am only the 3rd owner, the previous owner on a VW technician and owned the car for over 20 years, it's always been loved and kept in a garage, so I knew I had found a good one.
When I picked it up it was however looking a little tired, flat, dull, lacking the TLC it deserves. I love the standard look of the car, but it was always going to be a project for me…and a chance for me to build it into the car I've always dreamt of.

Since making the purchase I have completed a load of work on the car, on both the maintenance side and also the looks.
First job was a cam belt change and full engine service, this was followed by a full days intense valet, 2 of us over 11 hours, so a 22 man hour session, essential…and the results were mind blowing.
The paint, the roof, the seats…were white again!! Amazing!!! The previous owner did have the bespoke interior made, with the standard cloth trim being replaced with a black and white houndstooth pattern trim.

Then I wanted to get the handling sorted, so replaced the front wishbones and bushes, along with a set of FK Konigsport coilovers, plus new BBS style 15inch alloys wrapped with Toyo Proxes T1-Rs.
That was as far as I took the mods for 2013, and took the car off the road for the winter. it was over the winter months that I started searching and sourcing all the other parts I wanted to change as part of the rebuild.

FRONT
- Replaced white bumpers for black
- Single Headlamp front grill
- Chrome grill trim
- Black VW badge
- Clear smoked front headlamps
- Clear front Indicator lenses with silvertec bulbs
- German pressed plate
- Black splitter

REAR
- Replaced white bumpers for black
- Clear/Red rear lamps, with silvertec indicator bulbs
- German pressed plate
- Rear Aluminium strut brace

INTERIOR
- Stainless SteeL door handles
- Richbrook luxury mats

ENGINE
- Front Aluminium upper strut brace
- Fully Samco hose kit
- Replaced Dizzy cap, arm, coil, HT leads
- Powered coated Rocker Cover, Servo, Rad Couling, Cam Cover, Engine Mounts, Coil Bracket
- Expansion tank
- Replaced Jubilee clips all round
- Replaced Upper and lower bonnet latches
- Stainless Steel Rad brackets and screws
- Stainless Steel Rad top cover
- Stainless Steel battery cover

Along with all the above new parts, the engine was striped and every part refurbed to as new condition as possible, including respray of the bay.
All this work was over weekends and evening over a 4 week period, and sucked up around 65 man hours.

Big thanks to Funkster for all his help, couldn't of done it with out you mate.
I'd be interested in your comments, both good and bad…I am sure some of the mods will not be to everyones liking, but we all have our own tastes and dreams
So, here it is…I have to say I am really pleased with the results, and look forward to May 1st, when I can take it out for it's first drive once tax and insurance and in place.
This will continue to be a project going forward, but will always be used as a driving car….and I am sure I'll be seeing some of you at a few of the show this summer.

Back to the top
Hi Reg, welcome officially - thanks for popping out from the shadows!  :lol:

Well you've done yourself proud with that, your cabby looks fantastic I think!  :cool:

You should bring it along to Stanford Hall next weekend, would be a good first outing for it  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That looks very, very nice, all your hard work has paid off.  I really like the seats, better than the originals I think.  Wasn't sure about the black bumpers rather than the white, but the more I look at them the more I like them.  What's shows do you have planned?

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
It's funk-star you big fairy :lol:

Needs black arch spats  :ninja:

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Looks really nice work mate 👍
have you thought about the thin chrome side trim?
Cheers
Neil

171761 views (107 Kb)

Back to the top
Lovely looking motor 😊

Back to the top
Very neat

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
I was hoping to get along to Stanford Hall, but I have a prior appointment at Stamford Bridge!! Chelsea wins over VWs I am afraid. Think I'll be at Stoner Park, and defo the AGM again!!

Back to the top
Greetings.....very tidy... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
Ah fair enough, you can watch them stuff Norwich then!  :lol:  My boss is a Chelsea fan too (who seems quite famous now after making it on TV at the end of the Spain match last week making 'gestures' towards the Spanish fans!  :lol: )

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :cool:

Do it once and do it right! ok, we've identified the problem, lets not make it worse by guessing……… Identifying the sympton is not the same as understanding the cause :)

Back to the top
I see your in Berkshire  :thumbs:

There is a show on the 18th May in Bracknell if your free. View topic: Dubs at the Park - 18th May - Bracknell - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Also there is a Berkshire meet on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the white Hart in Holyport SL6 2ND. 

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Hi! I'm actually in Oxford, but Bracknell isn't to far away, have you any details on the show? This could be my first outing!! :-))

Cheers to everyone else for their comments

Back to the top

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Hey James_W, so the Dub at the Park is this Sunday, looking like good weather so I think I will come along. You guys got any plans, meeting up, show stand etc?

Back to the top
Cracking looking Cabby that mate, well done! :thumbs:
BTW. Love the wheels but if you don't, I'll have them off you!  :lol:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Hi Mate

FunkSter is a ledge  :) , half the cars on the forum must have a part or two on it from him by now.

Lovely looking motor, and nice to hear thanks in your post about all the help, I was on the forum for 6 months before I bought my first car, and everything I had learnt and the cabby buying guide really helped.

Some of your choices for yours are very similar to my clipper first car I had (link below)

If you can make dubs at the park Sunday that would be great , there is a few of us coming up from Bristol and a lot of the Berkshire boys there so be good to meet you, weathers looking good!!

Cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Hey welcome along, not sure how i missed your post first time round, stunning cabby you have :)

Be interesting to see any "before" pics you have :)

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Cheers all for your comments. Looks like I will be coming along to Dubs at the Park on Sunday, and not alone, have a mini convo sorted from Oxford…myself, 2 other cabby's and possibly 2 buses!!

Looking forward to it, if the suns out…I'll be the one handed out beers!!

Back to the top

Regtheboy said

Cheers all for your comments. Looks like I will be coming along to Dubs at the Park on Sunday, and not alone, have a mini convo sorted from Oxford…myself, 2 other cabby's and possibly 2 buses!!

Looking forward to it, if the suns out…I'll be the one handed out beers!!

yea supposed to be 20 degree's :) also if you look on thread in regional bit theres gonna be a meet up before hand so we can cruise to the show and park up together :)
View topic: Dubs at the Park - 18th May - Bracknell - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.