Back to the top
Good to see it coming along nicely…  :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top

Ice2812 said

Good to see it coming along nicely…  :thumbs:

Thank you buddy, just want to get it done now  :lol:

Back to the top
It was another busy weekend on the Mk1, especially as im on holiday al of next week so I cant get anything done.

This time we set about building an exhaust for it, as there is no off the shelf option. I had previously fitted the 1.5 exhaust, however due to the different position of the turbo to the standard 1.5 exhaust, it meant that the downpipe was pointing at the floor and coming out under the gear linkages instead of the exhaust tunnel. I thought the best option would be to buy a Mk2 GTD downpipe and modify that instead of the dual exit 1.5 pipe. After setting off looking at ebay for exhausts I found one for £30 delivered, so I bought it and received it at work a few days later.

As I hadn't bolted the rear engine mount on, I set to work doing that before we even looked at the exhaust, and unfortunately we found another hole…

Because of where the hole was we had to drop the gear linkages down to get the grinder and welder into it

However after about 45 minutes, it was all patched up with the engine mount all bolted up

The next bit was the exhaust (which I have no pictures of) it took a bit of cutting and welding and a bit more fettling until it was all done, but its now running with an Exhaust! The only real problem with that job, is that when my dad took the old 1.5 manifold off, the mesh gasket fell off, and without realising we cleaned the drive up and it went in the bin. But after a quick call and a trip over to Northamptons Euro Car Parts branch we got another one. We even had a little help yesterday!

As soon as we got the exhaust on, I had to take it for a little test, right :thumbs:. So after 2 years of her being off the road, she set 4 wheels back onto it and propelled herself down the road with absolutely no troubles at all!!! The only thing that I have to look at is the gear linkages, as I couldnt engage 5th gear, and reverse had no stop gate on it, so I think they need adjusting. But for a first trip back out, I was surprised how well it went, and how nippy it was for a diesel!

Oh, and it wasnt that illegal as i went out with a completely legal rear plate :lol::lol:

Oh, and how could I not put the rear bumper on for its test

Now its just to look at the front lights, and wire in the rears again :)

Back to the top
Nice car. I'm chucking a diesel in mine too but it's a whIle off yet. What size and offset are your wheels? I'm just looking at options for mine.

Back to the top

heartagram said

Nice car. I'm chucking a diesel in mine too but it's a whIle off yet. What size and offset are your wheels? I'm just looking at options for mine.

Thank you buddy :) I love the diesel and I havent even really taken it out yet haha! Theyre 13x7's up front and 13x8's up rear, not too sure on the offsets though

Back to the top
With the rear engine/gearbox mount where you found the hole, it seems you have welded the bracket to the car… There is 2 nuts which hold the bracket to the floor of the car…….

Bracket of the car.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK1-GOLF-JETTA-CADDY-SCIROCCO-1-5-1-8-REAR-GEARBOX-ENGINE-MOUNT-BRACKET-CABBY-/131478297999?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9cb79d8f

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi all,it's been a long time since anything has been added to the thread,with all of my other cars on the go as well.After we decided not to fit the westy front end,some thing had to be fitted for the mot,and as the original light supports had been cut away,the only thing to do was bodge a Jetta front end in. IMG_1268.JPG after it passed the mot test,it was driven around for a few weeks,to make sure the recently fitted diesel was running ok,which after a few teething problems,runs really well.We trundled off to the Mk1 ag at Uttoxeter,which was a really awesome weekend.At this drunken extravaganza we decided that the front end looked decidedly stupid,so we ordered a new front end from Heritage,and the process of cutting off the front end started. IMG_1271.JPG out with the lights IMG_1272.JPG off with the old front end IMG_1275.JPG on with the new IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1280.JPG primed,& a bit of paint IMG_1281.JPG front end done

Back to the top
IMG_1301.JPG IMG_1302.JPG After looking at the from for a while,it was decided the quad grille had to go,so a single lamp grille was sourced,& fitted,which we think looks better. IMG_1304.JPG fitted some Rota Grids for a while,which looked quite cool,running 8x15 with some 165 stretch on the rear,& 7x15 with 165's on the front,but will be changing next spring for some BBS,or that classic style of wheel. IMG_1303.JPG

Back to the top
Nice to see it on the road Travis  :cool:  :thumbs:

What made you decide not to go for the Westy front end?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Glad it's back on the road and looks much better with round headlights.
You just need to straighten those crocked back wheels now  :lol: :lol:  

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
We cut down the front valance to fit the westy,as it quite a lot deeper from top to bottom,than a standard grille.We then had to fettle the front,& make some fixing points.In doing this we had to fit & remove the grille quite a few times,& we were worried that it would damage a nos early grille,so this is why we fitted a standard front end,& put the grille back in its box.
My dad had a week off of work last week,& fitted,a pair of new complete sills.This was, a pretty tough job,as both floor pans had been pushed up,and the floor to sill flanges / middle flanges,& outer flanges on the front had been destroyed,due to over zealous use of a trolley jack in the cars past.The rear flanges were also toast,so the whole lot had to be repaired/renewed.
IMG_1399.JPG IMG_1400.JPG

Crusty old sills on drivers side,these were the better ones

Floor flattened out,and repaired,with new inner,& middle flange

Front & rear repaired,& new sill drilled for spot welding,& red oxide applied.

New sill fitted,ground back,& some filler on top.

New sill,seam sealed,red oxide,& primed.Job done.Doors were refitted,& while it was on the ramps,a couple of pieces of floor pan had to be repaired,& then it wad totally undersealed.

Back to the top
Tidy job, it's coming along nicely ;)

So what dictates if you take the MK1 or the Jetta out? How you feel when you get up?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thank you,It's better than that.If it's sunny,I can choose between,my Jetta & myMk1,if the weather is rubbish,i can choose between my harlequin 6N polo,or my 6N2 TDI.:lol:

Back to the top
glad your repairing the gx mate was worried you had abandond it with so many cars on the go lol

Back to the top
It was never going to be abandoned,there is only so far your money will go.Ha,Ha.I have lots of plans for it next year.It will be covered up for the winter very soon,but there are a lot of things to do over the winter.The first thing I think,is to make a 2" straight through stainless exhaust,& source parts for the interior.I will keep you all posted with progress :thumbs:

Back to the top
ha ha.... i know what its like having so many projects....... nothing like abit of syncronised car building lol........ good luck with the rest your doing a great job!! :cool:

Back to the top
Hi,its been a while since the thread has been updated,with the winter and all,but we have done a bit to the car.My dad sourced some 2" stainless tube,so we made a 2 piece straight through exhaust that fits quite well.It was fun,trying to work out how to cut a 22 1/2 degree angle into round tube,but after searching google we found someone who had put up a template. IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

and here are some pics of it on the car

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

and we were lucky there was a pipe flange,that we used for the tail pipe.

IMG_1523.JPG

We also sourced a set of Schmidt Th cups,the had only done 500 miles,for a good price,that I think look good on the car.

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG

Next job while there are no carpets in the car,is to fit an air suspension set up.I will keep you posted on this.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.