Skip navigation

Monster turbo mk1 golf 1.8t build

Back to the top
as far as i was aware AGU has a largeport head and has the larger bottom end, 20mm instead of 19mm pins.
but fair enough if you wanted the 7.5 ECU.

Back to the top
Yes, aeb and agu are only largeport head 20vt, agu does have 20mm wrist pins where most others uave 19mm.

You could have got agu and just used aum (me7.5) loom and ecu etc

What are you going to do about vvt?

Back to the top
You know, all these hours of work, then 15 mins of eating and straight to the unit and garage clearly effects my brain… Sigh

AUM block and ecu, AEB head and in regards to the pins it didnt matter what I had, as I went 20mm and larger diameter on the pistons too so this didnt pose an issue to me which I purchased, as the internals were all scrapped.

VVT will be deleted, and decoded from the software as I have a couple of cams to try out, so will see which works best and gives me the best results.

Back to the top
it wasn't meant to be negative, it was just a question as to the route you had taken. such power sounds bonkers in a mk1.

mine has 230 and flies.

Back to the top
Haha it's all good, the 1.8t is a well worn path and a great motor.

What final cr are you aiming for?

Back to the top

JonP said

it wasn't meant to be negative, it was just a question as to the route you had taken. such power sounds bonkers in a mk1.

mine has 230 and flies.

Thats cool, wasnt taken in a negative at all ! The 1.8t is such a well, if not over engineered engine with incredible capabilitys.. It was just a perfect basis for my goals.

I started off with the stock engine, stripped it down to clean, then change manifold, then turbo, then head.. And the bug bit.. again.

Im officially broke having spent a house deposit on the engine, now time to get some cash together and get the rest of the goodies on the way.

Lucky I dont have a wife  :lol:

Back to the top
So its been a few weeks again, been so busy with all background things that you get wayleighed with, Anyways onwards and upwards.

PICTURE TIME.

First things first, Had an 04' clio hanging about and needed to get rid of it for space. Hmm what to do?

Time to get the crank pegged

Cut to length

No brainer really… isnt it?

Found this old bad boy crank tool I smashed together in few mins from a few years back, and its lasted this long ?!

Inspired by Breaking Bad, I decided to start cooking some… stuff. CHEMISTRY rocks..

Onto the next, toughest bit yet. I would say im pretty OCD in regards to clenliness and this oil staining just irritated the hell out of me, not to meantion it looked aweful too I just wanted it gone. Tried every product on the market, Then something sprang on me…

Yep, these things were rotton.

I really… need to make an effort with taking some more nice pictures.

:lol: 

Back to the top
Loving your work mate, looking good. That was probably the best thing you could do to a clio!! :lol:

Back to the top
Wow great work and good call with the alloy cleaner, made a great job.

Love what you did with the Clio too  :lol:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks guys, means a lot. 
Yeah, about that clio. Basically, it was French so it had to be killed. How ironic it was being taken away by it's bigger French brother haha. More updates this week ! 

Back to the top
That turbo is huuuuuuuge :)

Back to the top

smudger said

That turbo is huuuuuuuge :)

No, my heads just huge haha 

Back to the top
C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Starting to get the ball rolling, the primary's are all equal but not happy with the flow and aesthetics so will be re doing runner #1 and changing the direction of #2 and #3 to match. Will post some more interesting photos later 

Back to the top
What did you use for the gearbox casing mate? Powder coat or spray?

Back to the top
Sprayed it, just make sure you get 100% dirt and grease off. It's a begger to do and I put the job off for ages. I think the local petrol garage hates me now after using the "hot wash" to degrease the shells haha 

Back to the top

butch-mk1 said

Sprayed it, just make sure you get 100% dirt and grease off. It's a begger to do and I put the job off for ages. I think the local petrol garage hates me now after using the "hot wash" to degrease the shells haha 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Thanks for the info. Got a spare box that I will be sending away for a full refurb and diff fitting. Can't decide to spray before or after the refurb.

Back to the top
Apologies for the delay in posts, I'm ( and the project for that ) is still very much alive. Had some recent hurdles including a change in job and bust phone so had little to no contact with the outside world!

Anyway, will have some pics and some big updates hopefully next week as the car will be landing it back in my garage ready for surgery and hopefully starting to trial fit the engine.

Thanks for being patient, promise it'll be worth it ! :p

Back to the top
This is going to be a real 'monster'when it's done, nice to see that some Citi Golfs made their way across the pond…

1983 Golf GT 2.1 16V with throttles/1978 Golf LS 2.1 ABF with throttles/2008 Citi Storm 1.4i/2007 Hyundai Getz - my daily

Back to the top
Nice work so far. Looking forward to updates.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.