Skip navigation

Monster turbo mk1 golf 1.8t build

Back to the top
Some of you may have remembered my previous 2l Abf build, so ill add A couple of old pictures for the hell of it. The abf just didnt cut it and the power I wanted was never going to happen with the ABF. So I decided to step up the game..

Where do I start? Been into volkswagens for as long as I can remember, Always loved the shapes of the old skool wagons since I was a kid, but also went jap before this. Time is passing by the more years I grow and before I know it I wont be able to build something like this - So for me, this is a dream come true.

It all started from a CITI, Yes, CITI golf - and over the past two years has been hurdles swings and roundabouts. Started life as a 1.3, Then a 2.0l ABF (Also was building a VRT) but have finally settled on the 1.8t.

Majority of the parts have been custom made and ordered from USA - UK and everywhere in between. I will post some pics when I get the deliveries !

Heres what a state it was when I bought it:

Attention to every single hole / rust pocket was given

Started to smooth the bay and other holes that were bugging me:

Inside is HELL. But ready for blasting now

Dealin with those horrible swage lines

Skimmed and filled.

Death of the doors, couldnt find some anywhere, time to fabricate again:

Getting these buggers to fit. Ordering some Berg Cup arches this week:

Last edit: by butch-mk1

Back to the top
Not a major update. Drove over to Wales to go pick this motor up, Only using the bottom end so the rest is going. Time for the tear down.

Head strip down

Finally after a few hundred hours work - Its starting to take shape and look like a car again. Rust was riddled everywhere, Totally rust free now and im ready to start seam welding and get the cage welded in.

Okay so it seems like forever since ive been able to have the time to post an update, been so busy with work, researching and mainly sourcing parts from all over the joint - from USA - Europe etc.. Im currently in process of moving my unit and taking all my bits back to my own garage so I have more time to work on it - Travelling 40 - 50 mile round trip just to do a couple of hours work isnt working out very well and cant seem to find any local units… Anyways, enough of the chat and more of the pictures.

This is not even 40% of what ive ordered, my garage has become a new dumping ground for car parts…. Garage take over….

MASSIVE thank you to Custom Cages uk for making this bespoke mk1 cage. Quality and engineering is superior to any cage ive seen before, im sure the story wont be quite the same when I come to fit it all. But time will tell!

FINALLY sourced a large port head - Time for a tear down and clean up ready for the new valvetrain

RS500 Cosworth alloy radiator to keep things cool

02M 6 speed box ready to be stripped, built and new diff to be homed in here - Great news the diff has now been made and is being shipped over from the US as we speak. LOoking forward to the package from the US of A. Some big things are coming over !

Took a walk over the road to the boys at FORGE motorsport - Thanks for hooking me up with the all good supersize valve - Somewhat something of a peice of engineering art…

Can you see how cold it is here in the UK now then? Check the frosting on the alloy parts haha

New 3" intercooler - pretty huge buy should fit with a little modification

Decided to go Sparco - Really happy with the quality and the weight? What weight? For steel frames these are insane light.. Super stoked with these.

Ordered up my new clutch - Should be ready in a month or so.. Or maybe a year? Seem to have to wait forevvvvvvvver for parts at the moment.. Well i guess good things come to those who wait??

Back to the top
Okay Okay couldnt leave this one out.. Could I ?

Thats all for now folks, Again sorry for the shoddy pictures… Need to go grab my DSLR next and ill get some real pictures up.. *LAZYASS*

Back to the top
Okay so managed to get the box apart and get the diff drilled out:

Super happy with my new throttle body that arrived, Its an 84mm one from a V8 so will be fabricating my own plenium in the upcoming weeks:

My package arrived from USA (Finally) after uk customs being (inserts word here) a pain? So finally can get on with the engine

Old crownwheel now pressed onto Peloquin's differential. Cant wait to test out this quality engineered bit of kit.

Bosch 1000cc Injectors should feed enough for my power goals

So time to tackle the box selector forks, A PAIN in the ass for many, however I am to eliminate the issues with selecting as I have some designs for my new shifter mech, So want the box super notchy and as healthy as possible.

Punching out the old pins, Drilling out to 17/64" and tapping with M8 x 1.25

Thats all for now folks, Have sent the block off to be bored, honed and faced up, and the head is off on tuesday for valve seat cutting, guide installation, honing and head skimming. Things are finally moving along again.

Many thanks !

Back to the top
Thanks, not much of an update but started off with this..

And ended up with this

Many thanks all for the kind words, very noble of you all :hug:

So had a call today from the fella I use for machining and said it had been done already, a week earlier than I had imagined! For anyone that needs anything from engine rebores to full on engine balancing ( and live near Bristol / Gloucestershire ) go to country engineering in Oldbury. Cracking job isn't even the word, incredibly skilled and been in the game for years. Couldn't be happier with the finish !
I managed to get back from work and get a little more done, gave the block it's first paint with some Por15 I had from one of my previous engines I built, waste not want not, plus I love the stuff really worth the money.

Have the block a prep which took a bit of work

Also a nice comparison between new vs old. Possibly a little difference…..!

I can't even begin to say how pleased I am with The quality of the parts, will have some detailed pictures when I have time to grab the DSLR out !

Back to the top
Diff finally built and ready to be dropped in its new home.

Take one large port inlet manifold

Hack it up

And basically, make one hell of a mess !

Back to the top

Back to the top
 :wub: I need that turbo.  Nice work what sort of bhp you going for mate

Back to the top
Wow thats gonna go like stink! 

Back to the top
Wow!

Some awesome work doing into this, and all those boxes and deliveries, like Christmas every week  :)

Look forward to seeing this build, good luck with it

Cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
very interesting dude! got a citi golf myself, nice to see another one around :)

Back to the top
Thanks guys, Humbled by your nice comments.

Will start in the region of 550hp and work from there, As ill be running 9j 16s all round, FWD and post 500 dont mix well. Then next year when I have the Haldex system and space frame fabbed up ill look at going 700+

Back to the top
BEAST!!!

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
Wow, this car is going to be ridiculous  :lol:

Nice work dude :cool:

Back to the top
Wow stunning work mate. Some quality work and parts going in to this, can't wait to see this one finished!  :ocf_emoticons__notworthy:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nice parts there bud, looking forward to see this one come together :thumbs:

Back to the top
Lambo killer lol it is going to be mental.   I take my hat off to you.

Back to the top
Some amazing looking engineered parts going into your project, very exciting  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
what bottom end did you use to source a AEB head for? why not start out with an AGU?

Back to the top
Thanks again guys. Im not usually a forum kind of guy, but decided that I should share.

JonP said

what bottom end did you use to source a AEB head for? why not start out with an AGU?

Im a little confused as to what you mean Jon?
I started with an AUM, ditched everything apart from the block ( as at that time, that was the only block that I could get that was closest to me with the ME 7.5 ) and sourced a AEB large port head. I would rather work on the largeport head and have a larger plenum so that I dont have to do it twice, Plus I wanted to try largeport as this will match my air flow goals better than the smallport could flow.

As most of you will know, AGU etc are great heads, But if im having new valves, guides pressed, head skimmed and checked, ported etc id rather pay once and do it to a largeport rather than spending twice.

Hope this makes things a little clearer !

Thanks again guys.

Liam  
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.