Skip navigation

MFA oil buzzer issue

Back to the top

Swapped clocks some issues resolved now new ones.

right for the wiring side, I think you need to get under and check things out see what you have and what was done when the 16v went in.

Start at the clock plug, check pin numbers and wires match up to this and also look at the pins to ensure all straight and not squashed. In particular look at T14/11 and T6/3 to confirm which one runs to a spade behind the fusebox to see if you have an early or late dash loom:
1 - blu/gry - Light switch pin 58b (dash lighting)
2 - brn - Earth
3 - pur/blk - Fusebox pin B/3 (fuel level sender)
4 - blu/yel - Fusebox pin B/7 (coolant temp sensor)
5 - red/blk - Fusebox pin B/19 (rev counter)
6 - red - Fusebox pin B/12 (permanent live)
7 - blu/wht - Fusebox pin A/28 (high beam warning)
8 - brn/wht - MFA switch mode button
9 - blu/blk - Fusebox pin A/4 (high oil pressure warning switch) (blk/blu on early models)
10- brn/red
11- yel - Spade to engine loom behind fusebox on early, Fusebox pin B/15 late (low oil pressure warning warning switch)
12- blu - Fusebox pin A/16 (alternator warning light)
13- blu/red - Fusebox pin A/17 (indicator warning lamp)
14- blk - Ignition switch pin 15 (ignition live feed)

T6
1 - wht/blu - outside air temp sensor
2 - wht/red - outside air temp sensor
3 - grn/blk - Fusebox pin B/15 on early models, spade to engine loom behind fusebox on late models (oil temp sensor)
4 - blk/yel - Fusebox pin A/3 (Gearshift control relay pin 3/L)
5 - wht/grn - Fusebox pin B/18 (Gearshift control relay pin 5/G)
6 - wht/yel - speedo signal

next check the white engine loom plug D, look at pins 1 and 21, and look for wire colours on any loose spades. mk2 all have pressure switch wires straight to white plug, oil temp to a spade. if this is missmatched to the dash loom then it will throw the pressure warning system all to pot.

Also note the colours to the pins, as MK1 and MK2 wire colours were switched! you need to confirm which wire colours you have where, then you know which way round to connect your pressure switches. No matter what the colour, pin 21 is for the high pressure switch. Pin 1 can either be low pressure switch or oil temp sensor depending on the age of the dash loom. Its the dash loom that dictates what oil sensor wires need to go what switches, not the engine loom!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Holey moley, no wonder this car was an abandoned project! I had no idea what I was getting into(ebay). Looks like there will be lots of wire chasing and possibly the need for a new gearbox! Knowing my luck the parts which have been used to put this engine in with this gearbox won't swap to one with an MFA switch in. Oh and don't get me on the ride suspension - travel? what travel! I will prevail tho..

Back to the top
Just popped out lunch time and swapped the wires over on the pressure switches on the front of the 16v engine. No change, however the one wire was blue/black, the oner was green/black. No sign of a yellow. I'm going to have to pull dash apart and follow all the wires :(. Have no idea what has been done to this car. Have bought some original twin horns to go on car as there was no horn. Where to mount it?

Back to the top
Interesting MFA stuff. I need to sort mine, but engine conversion first.

My horn mounts off the passenger side front bumper bolts.

Back to the top
aha! yeah that would do it. sounds like the loom was based on a mk1 8v wiring loom, they  have yellow wire to side of head. so start your search there :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Well on Saturday morning I was in Monmouth and there was a steam fair at which I bought a multimeter for £4 at the jumble sale. Armed with this I found pin 11 yellow wire and traced it to fuse box all good. The  fuse box to …… It had been cut off!! Managed to find the cut end and extend to the pressure switch which had the green/black wire on it. Hey presto!!!!
Same problem..
Switched blue/black and new yellow TA DA!
No buzzer or flashing light over 2k and darling oil pressure light blinks at ignition on. That will teach me to start with basics. Still no high beam light but I will chase that another day. So I have all these L shaped circuit boards and clocks. Will swap L shaped boards around when I get 5 mins see which are still good or not and then perhaps put them up for sale? J

Back to the top
I'd be interested in the oil pressure boards (either a couple untested or a 1 proven working.)

I'm only in Bristol, so easy to sort out.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.