Skip navigation

SAMGLF's Mk1 Golf GTI Karman Cabriolet Progress - Recaro Sport (But not for me!)

Back to the top
How old is the battery and what make and spec is it? Batteries with a 1 year guarantee do so for a reason, they usually only last a year!

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

How old is the battery and what make and spec is it? Batteries with a 1 year guarantee do so for a reason, they usually only last a year!

Unipart with 3 year guarantee

Back to the top

SAMGLF said

Ok, so I'd be looking at this part then for my 1991 Cabriolet wouldn't I, if it turns out to be the alternator?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Alternator-90Amp-Mk2-Golf-T25-T4-diesel-068903017PX_act_shop.product_pID_170218.htm

Looks like there are two different amp rate parts…..but guessing one is better than the other?

Is fitting one a difficult job? Bearing in mind I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to mechanics lol :)

Yes that would be the right one. What ampage is recommended depends on the equipment level of the car. My 83 GTi is very basic, so a 65amp alternator is fine, but if you've got electric windows, electric roof and other accessories on the later models then you might want to consider the 90amp one - they will both fit and are interchangeable.

Fitting one is pretty easy as it's on top of the engine at the front Right hand side of the car, couldn't be easier to get to, I would recommend you get a manual for the car if you've not done this sort of job before, or failing that find a friend who has done similar things before. If you're local, I don't mind giving you a hand as it's a simple enough job.

Mike.

1983 White cabriolet GTi

Back to the top
HI Sam

When I needed to get a new alternator for my MK2 16v recently the best price I found anywhere was these guys - http://www.thepartspeople.co.uk/

It was £97.69 exchange and their Corby branch is just down the road from my office which was convenient. They also let me take it away, bring the old one back when I had swapped it but without charging a surcharge  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Maniac said

SAMGLF said

Ok, so I'd be looking at this part then for my 1991 Cabriolet wouldn't I, if it turns out to be the alternator?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Alternator-90Amp-Mk2-Golf-T25-T4-diesel-068903017PX_act_shop.product_pID_170218.htm

Looks like there are two different amp rate parts…..but guessing one is better than the other?

Is fitting one a difficult job? Bearing in mind I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to mechanics lol :)

Yes that would be the right one. What ampage is recommended depends on the equipment level of the car. My 83 GTi is very basic, so a 65amp alternator is fine, but if you've got electric windows, electric roof and other accessories on the later models then you might want to consider the 90amp one - they will both fit and are interchangeable.

Fitting one is pretty easy as it's on top of the engine at the front Right hand side of the car, couldn't be easier to get to, I would recommend you get a manual for the car if you've not done this sort of job before, or failing that find a friend who has done similar things before. If you're local, I don't mind giving you a hand as it's a simple enough job.

Mike.

Been trying since I bought the car to get my hands on a manual but they're like gold dust.

I'll pick up a voltmeter after work, which will hopefully allow me to be sure of the problem?

If its alternator then I can get a replacement part ordered potentially. I had tried a few local garages to see if they'd have a look and tell me the exact issue, but all are busy until after easter now, leaving me having to charge the battery every night for the time being……unless I can sort myself.
Thanks for the offer, I'll bare that in mind mate, cheers. I'm in Tonbridge so can't be too far?

I had asked motorline engineering in Lewes and the village garage in East Grinstead if they could have a look for me as it has a history of being serviced at motorline and I always took my cars to the village garage in EG as I used to live there, but both places are booked up next couple of weeks.

Back to the top
definatly get your self a multi meter then you can check the simplist of things

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-LCD-VOLTMETER-MULTIMETER-CIRCUIT-TESTER-AMMETER-AC-DC-METER-OHM-BLACK-/141093479189?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item20d9d3a315

i had one of these and it did last a few years tbh i still got it and im sure if i put a new battery in it it would work again

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top

dik-van-dub said

definatly get your self a multi meter then you can check the simplist of things

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-LCD-VOLTMETER-MULTIMETER-CIRCUIT-TESTER-AMMETER-AC-DC-METER-OHM-BLACK-/141093479189?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item20d9d3a315

i had one of these and it did last a few years tbh i still got it and im sure if i put a new battery in it it would work again

Corr that's cheap…….I was looking at Halfords about £15.

Back to the top
Before you go out and buy a new alternator remove the voltage regulator and have a look at the bushes, if they are worn down you will have problems with th alternator, there's a couple of screws holding the regulator in and it looks like this and a lot cheaper than a new alternator!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-SCIROCCO-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR-C694-/220834832279?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336ac81f97

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks for the heads up, though having looked at the part, a replacement might not be a bad thing? It looks like it's been at the bottom of the ocean for 100 years!

So, maybe a replacement isn't such a bad thing?

I popped down my local industrial estate today as had to pick up a couple of things and I noticed a garage offering free battery checks etc so I thought I'd swing in and get them to test (having not yet purchased a voltmeter myself) and they tested the battery, which as expected weas perfectly fine. They said that there was definately a problem with the alternator which was reading lower than it should be and he said that it was only very just charging the battery.
Having said that he could recondition it if necessary, but suggested it could be something small like earthing problem or bushes as mark1gls mentioned, but said more than likely I'm looking at between £100-£150 to refurb it/solve.

My thoughts really, were that if that's the cost, am I not better off spending that money on a new one and taking a stab at replacing it myself (possibly with help of maniac mike who kindly offered) :)

Back to the top
Yep go new, I looked at a refurb on my MK2's alternator but it cost more than a new one!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Back to the top
I think right one, as per my PT to you SAMGLF , I bought this for my MK2

http://www.thepartspeople.co.uk/electrical/Alternators-Dynamos/Volkswagen/Golf/all/1.8/1990/Parts.aspx

If the link works, it's £97.69

Do a search for your cabby, hopefully you can get one for the same price, or cheaper

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah I checked the link before but don't understand why there are four pages of alternator parts still after I've put my reg in, all with varying prices?? There's still 20 alternators to select from for my car but I can't see any difference between them?

Back to the top
Yeah it's not the best site in that respect!! lol

Just give them a call, I did so and my local branch was really helpful. Hopefully you can save 50 odd quid then!  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That's gone rusty! Good luck with undoing those bolts I would start to soak them in penetrating oil there is one behind the cam belt cover and runs along the engine which holds the alternator at the back as well.

How is your engine so rusty has the car lived near the sea?

Back to the top

mark1gls said

That's gone rusty! Good luck with undoing those bolts I would start to soak them in penetrating oil there is one behind the cam belt cover and runs along the engine which holds the alternator at the back as well.

How is your engine so rusty has the car lived near the sea?

Yep, it came from Eastbourne so has spent a bit of time near the sea. I was pretty shocked to see it also, but having not seen any other cars of this age, I didn't really know what to expect it to look like.

Engine still seems to work fine, so inside must be fine, but it's a bit of an eye sore that's for sure and not much that can be done now other than to replace. An expense that I just don't really have the money for on this car, so unfortunately the unsightly engine will probably have to stay :(

Back to the top
You don't need to buy new stuff, as a cheap alternative get a wire brush and rub the items down and spray with paint, I found enamel paint in a rattle can seems to stick well and does not seem to be affected by the heat, most bit's you can take off, rocker cover and metal arms to hold it down, cam cover etc to make it easier to rub down and paint. Just painting the rocker cover and cam belt cover will make alot of difference to the look of the engine.

Back to the top
Whenever I have had voltage problems I have changed the alternator bushes for the sake of a few quid and undoing two screws, its worked for me every time.  Just because it looks rusty on the outside, doesn't mean its totally shot, you could save yourself a fortune.

Just the thoughts of a tight yorkshireman!!

Back to the top

whatisit said

Whenever I have had voltage problems I have changed the alternator bushes for the sake of a few quid and undoing two screws, its worked for me every time.  Just because it looks rusty on the outside, doesn't mean its totally shot, you could save yourself a fortune.

Just the thoughts of a tight yorkshireman!!

I'm a tight Scotsman :lol:
 Where would I get those alternator bushes? And are they easy enough to change?

Back to the top
You get them at German and Swedish etc.  Its as simple as undoing 2 screws.  The bushes are carbon sticks? on springs.  They push against something in the alternator to generate the power.  Because they are pushing against something, they wear down.  If they have never been changed, they will be well past it!!
There are too many online users to list.