Skip navigation

My first car & project, Mars red 1.1 1982 mk1 golf C

Back to the top

30,000 miles on clock and 3 past owners

Good job with the clean up, it looks like a completely different car  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Great work mate looks stunning :thumbs: best first car money can buy!

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Very tidy pal...Love it...

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciated. Been busy with work and enjoying driving the car around since I've been on the road with it, But I have one problem with it and I cant solve it so I need some help :)

Everything is working fine on the car apart from sometimes when driving I will loose all revs when accelerating then the engine will cut off after about 5 seconds. I thought I had solved this same problem when I first got the car on the road, but it turns out I was just leaving the choke on for too long (I was told leave it on till the engine is up to temperature) which was flooding the engine which would also explain why it took quite some time to get it going again. So by changing how I use the choke fixed this problem up until now.

My problem now is that it has happened twice now and in totally different situation, where as before it will happen everytime after 5 - 10 minutes of driving. Its the same problem as before where ill be driving along then go to accelerate and it will rev up to about 1cm of movement on the pedal then not accelerate at all past that point then the engine will die. Both times this has happened I've got out and inspected the engine and all is visably fine, I give everything a wiggle and a look over both when not running and running. When trying to start it back up it will take a fair few attempts with slight pedal pumping once I hear the engine kick into life. But the really confusing part is that the car is fine once it has happened? as in it does'nt happen again for the rest of the day and all is well.

So my question is why? has it happened to anyone else? and what the fix is somebody knows? :) Thanks in advance for your time. 

Back to the top
Lovely car mate. My red mk1 is my first car too. My top tip is get the underside sealed if you use it daily and not to use it in the snow or salty roads if you can? Just to save you money later with body work repairs and stuff. Great little engines one all the issues are sorted and the lack of power/brakes helps you to get used to driving properly I.e braking early/ engine braking or keeping speed through corners better. When I had a small block in mine i would love upsetting more powerful cars by being able to out handle them on roundabouts and corners  :) obviously they would leave me on the straight but I would be snapping at their heels again on the next corner. :lol: :wub:

I'm no expert  with mechanics but could your issues be something to do with the fuel? Muck in the tank or something? As it has been sat a while, they can get rust and dirt in there. 

Last edit: by golf1980

Back to the top
Great job on the clean up and that's a brilliant first car.

What did you use to clean it under the bonnet? it came up really well.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
Hi mate,

What a clean up! Really good job there. The engine bay is a complete transformation as well!

As for your running issues, to be honest it could be a number of different things. They all tend to have their own little oddities.

A common problem a lot of people find is that the filler neck rusts (especially when stood) and flakes of rusty cr*p fall into the tank which then get sucked through the fuel lines and get stuck in filters etc. I'd have a look at this first of all as it is easy to check.

Apologies, I skim read bits as well, what carb are you using?

Cheers
Joe

1992 Pearl Green Clipper Cab - 16v (9a block, KR head, GSXR600 Carbs) :)

Back to the top

Desperado said

Thanks! Its a shame I didnt save this really detailed message i sent to somebody, listing exactly how i cleaned the engine bay. But it basically involved: Covering the engine with plastic sheets then gave everything under the bonnet a good blasting with the karcher, once all the surface dirt came off we switched to the foaming nozzle on it filled with degreasnt and sprayed it all over. We let it sit for a couple of minutes then got to work with various sizes of hard brushes all-over then just blasted it back off with the normal nozzle. We repeated this 3 times. As for the engine i have only fitted new parts here and there, cleaned the air filter also did some cable management. Then of course sprayed the rusty metal work. Hope this helps :)

Back to the top
Very tidy...... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top

Ice2812 said

Very tidy…… :thumbs:

Why thank you  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Desperado said

Thanks pal, my comment to Desperado should answer your question :)

Back to the top

JoeHayes said

Hi mate,

What a clean up! Really good job there. The engine bay is a complete transformation as well!

As for your running issues, to be honest it could be a number of different things. They all tend to have their own little oddities.

A common problem a lot of people find is that the filler neck rusts (especially when stood) and flakes of rusty cr*p fall into the tank which then get sucked through the fuel lines and get stuck in filters etc. I'd have a look at this first of all as it is easy to check.

Apologies, I skim read bits as well, what carb are you using?

Cheers
Joe

Thanks Joe

I've had my head under the wheel arch and all is good for the filler neck, Looks and feels solid top to bottom. I've flush the fuel tank out completely and blasted the fuel lines through. Its also had all new fuel hosing and fuel filter which is just about completely clean (only a few tiny parts in it) and off top of my head its a solex 34 pict 7. 

Back to the top

Haven't been on my thread in a while, its crazy to see the photos at the begin of my thread to how it is now. My plans haven't changed for it by restoring it and keep it stock but in the future I'm going to go to the other end of the scale and get a GTI so that one can be my toy, big engine, wheels, lowered ect ect :$ Here's a photo I took this afternoon after cleaning it to get all the horrible salty dirt off her, was a nice supprise to see the sun aswell. 

Last edit: by ImJakeP

Back to the top
Think your car looks superb mate! So much cooler than a "pimped" corsa for a young lad. Did you sort the running issues?

Back to the top
You have now made me late for work!  I haven't seen this thread before, just opened up the last post and what a beautiful car you have, so glad you have kept it stock. I then go to the start of the thread and expect to see something pretty good considering mileage and can't beleive how it started out, what a transformation.

Where are you based? Would love to see this at a local show.

why not enter it in the next Car of the Month when entries start?

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Very Nice mate.. Good Job

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Cheers buddy
Much appreciated

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.