Skip navigation

Panth's Mk1 Golf Turbo Technics project

Back to the top
So a bit more progress with the Mk1. Engine all in and wired up. Dave has been amazing at updating me at every step…cannot recommend Restoshack enough.

and this is what 8 years of standing in a garage does to your fuel!

Back to the top
Mine is the same zender kit I think

Got me worried about what's in my tank now as thats 13 years old WP_20151128_010.jpg

Back to the top
It caused a few problems even after replacing the tank and the filler....its up and running now...just need to make a few decisions on how far I want to take this after the MOT is done.

Back to the top
Looking good mate! Restoshack do a top job on every car they get there hands on, they currently have my mk1 in (mars red one) i cant wait to get it painted next year its been over 3 years since i last drove it! what plans have you got for yours next?

Back to the top
They really do! And communication is key for me and Dave gets that spot on.

Plans are most likely to get it road worthy, get the kit on and looking "good" enjoy it next year and possibly get it sprayed at the end of the year.

The body is not in bad shape, yes its a used car and its been driven and I think I was to keep it that way. Are you getting a full re-spray done?

Back to the top
Another update. Dave had a professional photographer at the workshop last week and I received a few images of the car.

Back to the top
Great Update there Panth..Nice work from yourself and the Shack Boys.Small world never knew a Mk1err was so close to me In NewtonSt C. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thank you FXTURE. I'm hoping to get this moving soon!!!

Back to the top
Good built thread m8 , not many of these about now a days ! Here's a pic of my turbo technics conversion that I had in my cabby !
Cheers Davy

Back to the top
Cheers mate, a quick update. Interior is back and is clean as, and the car is going in for a MOT either tomorrow or Friday....not long now...

Back to the top
So had an  update from Restoshack and it seems like that the bottom end may have some kind of problem. Everything was going well and the car was being tested and as these things happen the old gal decides to start making a knocking sound. Might be a case of trying finding another 8v. But not sure if the current setup has anything special about it. As usual Dave's communication has been amazing.

Cars going into storage until we figure out what to do.

Back to the top
would a low compression 1.8 8v be of any use. its a JH code from a caddy sport and think they have a 8.5-1 CR.

Back to the top
Hi mate. Thanks for the offer. So long story short and after the guys have taken the engine apart looks like that there was some kind of failure, most likely caused by fueling issue. We also found out that the current pistons are from a DX application and have been machined for lower compression. This will all be re-built to make it "fresh" and hopefully running sweet as a nut asap.....

Back to the top
Not what you want to happen.Glad your continuing Panth. Its a case of lock her up or place a Cover over the mk1 .Then let some months pass and have another go.

Keep us all updated :thumbs:

Back to the top
Its all go….I cant have this project die on me…never! I want to enjoy it this year and think about the paint and next steps for next year….two little little conrod's will not defeat me!

Back to the top
Hi guys, A very quick update for you and  very big day for me!

The car's back on  the road with a MOT.
With a major engine failure Dave has successfully re-built the engine, re-furbished the turbo via turbo technics and its happy days. Pictures to follow shortly!

Back to the top
Buzzing can't wait to see this 

Back to the top
A few pictures received yesterday:

These are some of the pictures of the engine being rebuilt last week.

Back to the top
Looks good mate, love the turbo technics and the paint in the bay looks flawless!

Back to the top
Thanks Simon. Can't wait to pick it up now and I will worry about the body work next year!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.