Skip navigation

car written off :(

Back to the top
could you request a second opinion and say car has sentimental value or some b/s

Back to the top

olethalb said

could you request a second opinion and say car has sentimental value or some b/s

I'd like to pick up on that Ned because you've nothing to loose.

But I'd go with a more iron fist approach than that.
for example they said, "We consider that this is a Category B."

The word "consider", it's opinion and not an absolute fact!
(I'm short of time right now as I have to get back to work but)

Get your friendly workshop to quote a price for the work that is far less then their estimate and go back to them.
Just keep on beating on their door till you get the result (or close to) the result you want.

Oh heck, got to go, no time to proof read this!  :lol:

Good luck.  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Can you appeal to the insurance ombudsman ?

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
cant see why they would class it as a cat b

wouldnt be that hard to get this straightened up

gutted for you mate.  :(

Back to the top
cheers for the replies guys, so if I get some other opinions from a workshop etc that'll probably be best at the moment. And get together a load of stuff to send them regarding it all.

I was also thinking.. the valuation they've given the car is less than half the estimate they've put for the repair, which I'm currently disputing too, so I wonder if I manage to raise the valuation up, closer to the cost of repair, it will change anything regarding the category. (especially if I can get a cheaper quote for repair), but is that the sort of thing you were saying golfcabrio?
Not too sure how much the mk1 would have been worth now though, anyone got any ideas? the prices of them seem to have gone up a bit recently

Ice2812 said

Can you appeal to the insurance ombudsman ?

I'd heard of this but not really sure what they do?

browner01 said

cant see why they would class it as a cat b

wouldnt be that hard to get this straightened up

gutted for you mate.  :(

cheers mate, I know that's what I was thinking and why I was a bit surprised/confused to why it's been put as a B :S

'83 formel e

Back to the top
best way iv found to get the real value for you car of your insurance company is to to go on ebay ,autotrader, classic car for sale websites , any where your going to find a mk1 for sale same year engine size if possible the more you find the better the more expensive the car the better too print the adds off  then type up a letter saying,
dear sir madam you have put a valuation on my car which i feel has been under valued i have look on the internet for a similar vehicle as a my replacement car but cant not seem to find one at the valuation your assessor has valued it at, i have sent you some adds of vehicles of a similar age and year that mine was i hope this will help you re value my vehicle i hope to hear from you soon 

Back to the top
Haven't posted here in a while

Sadly I haven't been able to change the cat B, sent multiple letters trying to argue against it and the report etc but they weren't having any of it… lost heart with it all really. Sort of come to the conclusion now that it will have to be broken, but at least I can keep it to do that, and also did manage to raise the value which was nice.

Always on the look out for another mk1 tho, one has caught my eye but need to decide, with winter coming and being a student n all, whether it's a good idea atm :banghead:

(obviously is :lol:)

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Well that's poo :(

On a slight upside, I could be your first customer. If our steelies are the same could I purchase one from you? I'm currently without a spare and its a risky business!

Or…

You can purchase Oreo? He recently feature on Wheeler Dealers: Trading Up and was one of the few chosen ones to appear at the NEC Classic Motor Show 2013. Oh and he came runner up in this years AGM for the standard tintop category.

10k and he's yours  :thumbs:

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
That sucks ned but as you say at least you get to break it - and jump in another MK1!

m00 I was shocked for a mo that you were selling, but looks that's not the case  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That really sucks mate :( buy a shell and swap the good bits over? Probably easier to break  :'(

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.