Skip navigation

Modify or Keep Standard ??

Back to the top
I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times but I'm struggling with what direction to take with my mk1.

I have a 1979 series 1 Gti not in great shape but solid enough and most of the parts are there for a full restoration in the next year or so the problem is the engine I have most of the parts for a 20vt conversion but now I'm having second thoughts !!

I can sell the 20vt parts and have my original 1.6 engine and box rebuilt and probably put a lot towards my winter respray at the same time. A few weeks ago I was set on a 20vt but now after learning there are very few series 1 Gtis left I think standard may be the best option. 

So your opinions please though I think I already know the right way to go 

Thanks

Back to the top
I'd leave it standard, because of the model rarity.

Back to the top
Standard I reckon with a few subtle tweaks to the rebuilt motor to scoop a cpl extra horsepower :thumbs:

Back to the top
Standard Baz  :thumbs:

Do it correctly and its a winner in its look and its future resale, if ever  ;)

Back to the top
Do what YOU want to do.

Back to the top
Mostly standard but with one or two subtle modifications to make it one of a kind and unique. If your doing a full resto you will have the opotunity to change a lot about, in a way that it can still look oem.

Back to the top
I had a lambretta a few years ago, I totally restored it and then began to modify the engine.  What I ended up with was a flying machine in scootering terms.  I then progressed to a fast road bike but also kept my scooter only to regret ever modifying it.  Keep it original mate.

(Then by a bike, lol)

Back to the top
Sell it to me!

Back to the top
Thanks for the replys pretty much what I was thinking after I found out there are only 30 1979 series 1 Gti left in the uk. 

Going to price up an engine bay respray and start selling my 20vt parts !!

I have a fast road cam and ported head to go on my 1.6 rebuilt engine so it will still have a bit more power than standard. 

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Do what YOU want to do.

This actually is the correct answer !!

Back to the top
What 20vt bits are you selling ?  I need 02a gearbox mounts and hydraulic to cable clutch parts

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
I'm literally in the same position, without the 20v sitting about. My car already has a 1.8 S2 Gti engine. I've got all the paperwork for the swap and all the receipts but being a 79 Gti I keep looking out for a 1.6.
Like the others say do what YOU want. With regards to future value, if it's the original engine with matching numbers I'd keep it. You can always change the look of the car with bolt on bits that can be swapped or changed as and when ?

Back to the top

Yomp said

Sell it to me!

You not got enough on your plate Graham?  :lol:

Back to the top
I can't see myself selling the car ever lol !!

I always planned to return the car to standard and wanted a 20vt just for a couple of years of fun. 

Still leaning towards selling the 20vt and spending the money on standard stuff

Back to the top
let me know everything you have and how much you would want for it…. I could be interested.

Thanks

Steven

***Just seen you for sale add***

Last edit: by kaiser82

Back to the top
In the same predicament, friends say keep it standard but I want ABF in jenvey ITB.

Back to the top
Standard, it's actually harder to do it correctly.

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
Decided it's definitely going to stay standard !! 

Poor day today though found a couple of areas that will need attention that I hadn't figured on doing this year so it looks like the car will get the full body resto I had planned for next year a bit sooner !!!

It means the car won't be back on the road this year but I have a back up plan so I won't miss the shows …..

Back to the top
If it was me std……………….but it's your car do what you think is best

Vw golf 1980 cab (girlfriend's)
Vw T25 1.9dg auto hi-top autohomes camper
Alfasud 1.5ti green cloverleaf
Alfa 155 2.0 16v
Alfa 155 Q4 lhd 1 for 13 in uk
Alfa 155 2.5td lhd the only 1 in uk

Back to the top
As others have said it's your choice but for me I would aim to keep it standard

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.