Skip navigation

Curburettor problems on 1.5

Back to the top

Will not fire up. Timing and dizzy is set correct.

its got the coolant flange between 1 & 2 same as the 1.6 GTI lump :)

have to admit I'm not a massive expert on these early engines, so I could be wrong about the head fitment. I'm sure I read somewhere it works but now when I try to search I can find nothing so now I'm not so sure :lol:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
All the 1.6 carb mk1 golfs etc had it between 1 & 2 also… and they had combustion chambers. I always assumed the 1.5 engine was indentical to to earlier 1.6 but with the 73.4mm stroke rather than 80mm..

Weber used to sell a 34 ICT replacement for the Solex 34 PICT, but they went obsolete years ago..

I think we may have gone :offtopic:John ha ha ha ha…. :lol:

Back to the top
right from what i can see, all the early .16 lumps have the same crank, the 1.5 crank is different. rods same for all, 1.6 carb all share the same piston, 1.5 different as are the 1.6 gti.

the 1.5 and 1.6 carb heads are the same for FR, FV, JB, EM and GH. EH and EJ have the same head but is different to all the rest.

now I dont know what any of that means for the combustion chamber design, and if the 1.6 gti head will work on anythign else :lol:

Back to the top
If they all have the same rods then the 1.5 will need the different pistons as the compression height will need to be different to suit the shorter stroke.

So that means the 1.5 carb is the same as the 1.6 carb except for crank and pistons.

This doesn't help dubmission however  :)

The 1.5 was available with 2 power outputs, I believe mine was 70bhp and therefore had a basic Solex 34 PICT carb. I believe the 85bhp version had a twin choke carb, like the earlier 1.6 Golf/Scirocco for which a weber replacement carb is available.

Back to the top

addicted said

If they all have the same rods then the 1.5 will need the different pistons as the compression height will need to be different to suit the shorter stroke.

So that means the 1.5 carb is the same as the 1.6 carb except for crank and pistons.

This doesn't help dubmission however  :)The 1.5 was available with 2 power outputs, I believe mine was 70bhp and therefore had a basic Solex 34 PICT carb. I believe the 85bhp version had a twin choke carb, like the earlier 1.6 Golf/Scirocco for which a weber replacement carb is available.
The carb on my car (83 mod) is a Solex Pierburg 1b3. Today I took the carb off the car and gave it to a friend who is goind to blow though it and put in in a ultrasonic cleaner.

If I new of a good replacement I would just by a new one. I know the Weber 36 TLP is a good fit, but it is out of production.

Last edit: by dubmission

Back to the top
the question is then would the flat combustion chamber of the 1.6 gti head reduce the compression far to much, or just enough to make good power?  we would need a carby head to measure the cc of the combustion chamber and some calculations to see…

regardless of the above you could use the 1.6 gti cam and dizzy for a nice boost in power, if you had a 1.6 gti block you could swap the internals over to make your 1.5 a 1.6 I assume if say you live in a country where you cant change the engine number for whatever reason

Back to the top

rubjonny said

the question is then would the flat combustion chamber of the 1.6 gti head reduce the compression far to much, or just enough to make good power?  we would need a carby head to measure the cc of the combustion chamber and some calculations to see…

regardless of the above you could use the 1.6 gti cam and dizzy for a nice boost in power, if you had a 1.6 gti block you could swap the internals over to make your 1.5 a 1.6 I assume if say you live in a country where you cant change the engine number for whatever reason
Ok, got the carb back from cleaning. It was comletely jammed up with old fuel and dirt.

Mounted it on the car and cranked it on the starter. Now it gives off small popps while a small fire shoot out of the carb.

So, maybe timing. I set the firing order 1342 (number one is on the crank pulley side). So when the number one sylinder is TDC and the TDC point on the flywheel is in center of the hole in the gearbox I set the plug leads so that the copper on the rotor is towards the nr 1 lead. Then i go clockwise 3-4-2. Is this correct for my engine?
Or maybe the carb needs adjustment on the screws?

Last edit: by dubmission

Back to the top

rubjonny said

Thank you for all your help rubjonny. I finally got the car to fire :) If I haden't taken off the carb it would have never started.
The last thing missing was the timing.
See this post for solution:

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=big-block-carb-engines_2%2Fdoing-timing-two-marks&redirected=1#post_1392739

Back to the top
sweet :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.