Skip navigation

Lhasa Green 1.8 GTI engine fire repair

Back to the top

Was toast but getting better

Progress good on the engine fire rebuild, before fire,  and current state in photos below. Might have some spare Samco hoses available soon. C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Looks like you're making good progress ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Surely this was an excuse to go 20vt? Looking very clean though

I love it. I don't care what you think

Back to the top
20vt a temptation but happy with staying as stock as possible. Making headway, rewiring underway. Even remembered to label things. C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Looking good.... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
About 60 hours work so far and it's starting to look much better, back on the road by Easter. C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Very clean, not too much left to do now

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking good mate!

Back to the top
Hello john, small world  :lol:

I'll have the trim in the post before the end of the week  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
It is indeed a very small world. New photo with revamped loom - tried to tidy it up and all wrapped in heat proof tape. MAF pipe and rubber given a spruce up - air intake bit next on list. Hopefully fitting A pillar deflectors for an extra 120mph! March-2014-repair-web-version.jpg

Back to the top
Anyone any idea where I can get hold of these connectors? They're out of the flat 3 pin connector from the dizzy, which I cunningly cut open. C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nearly there, just some coolant, re-wire the lights, add a battery, position a fire extinguisher and fingers crossed.

Back to the top
Work so far. C:\fakepath\Nearly-There.jpg

Back to the top
Looking very nice and factory fresh  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Cheers Matt,

The A Pillar deflectors are looking great but there was much swearing trying to fit them until I used the  parachute cord method, remembered from fitting my Camper windows. All looks good but the dear thing won't start, turns over but no blue spark fron coil to dizzy as per Haynes test. It's time to seek expert help I think.

Back to the top
You got a photo of the deflectors, no idea how they go on? (other than difficultly  :lol: )

Back to the top
<div>
   <input class="ocp_keep_ui_controlled" readonly="readonly" size="45" title="
Attachment
"C:\fakepath\image.jpg"
164 views (1.58 Mb)
" type="text" value="attachment tag (dbl-click to edit/delete)" /></div>
<div>
   Hello, this is the method I used, adapted from putting windows into my '63 split.<br /></div>
<div>
   1. Place a length of electrical tape along the outer guttering, prevents scratches.<br /></div>
<div>
   2. Wrap same type of tape around the end of a medium flat blade screwdriver, prevents massive scratches!<br /></div>
<div>
   3. Find a long piece of parachute cord or nick the guy rope off your sons tent.<br /></div>
<div>
   4. Ease the screwdriver blade under the ouster edge of the window seal.<br /></div>
<div>
   5. Place the cord into the gap created by the screwdriver all the way down the seal.<br /></div>
<div>
   6. Take the deflector and place the leading inner edge under the seal.<br /></div>
<div>
   7. Apply some gentle pressure to keep this edge under the seal as you pull the cord down the windscreen seal.<br /></div>
<div>
   8. Your aiming to insert the plastic leading edge into the space vacated by the cord.<br /></div>
<div>
   9. When leading edge is well seated, spring the back edge over the electrical tape bad into the gutter.<br /></div>
<div>
   10. The deflector should now be wedged between the gutter and windscreen seal.<br /></div>
<div>
   11. Remove the electrical tape</div>
<input class="ocp_keep_ui_controlled" contenteditable="true" readonly="readonly" size="45" title="" type="text" value="attachment tag (dbl-click to edit/delete)" />

Back to the top
Do replacement trims come with sticky pads on the back? I think the originals had these

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Three at the top and bottom , one in the middle. Here's a pic of them on C:\fakepath\image.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.