Skip navigation

v5 mk1 golf project

Back to the top

the start!

Hopefully have space to get this one in soon Alex! Get your engine mounts sorted out so you can drive it  :thumbs:

Back to the top
So I've been getting ready to put a temporary seat in the golf which ment getting the old bucket seats out ready for selling and also the subframes so I can mount the seat
C:\fakepath\image.jpg
Managed to get a nice look at the floorpan wall bit! Not sure what it's actually called, anyway! It's had some sheet metal welded with a ton of mastic around the edges! Plus some more rust 
I'm not sure if this is an easy fix? But I'm hoping some one can tell me it is! Worried there might be more rust hiding from me! Seems as if the last owner has painted over most of it!

Alex Butcher - V5 powered MK1!  :ocf_emoticons__borg:

Back to the top
Decided I wanted to upgrade my steering wheel to something a little nicer!
The old wheel…
wheel 1.jpg
so I managed to get myself a steering wheel for £18!!! bargain right? turned out to be the wrong size fitment!
The wheel that doesnt fit…
wheel2.jpg
apparently the early golfs have the smaller spline (correct me if I'm wrong) so I needed the steering wheel to match.
which ment getting another wheel for a not so bargain price of £80, but I must admit I like it a lot more!!!
The newer and hopefully perfect wheel…
steering wheel 1.jpg

Back to the top
Third time lucky! That last one does look good, will suit yours well ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Will be good when Neil sorts out the engine mount. I hear you are after the spline adapter for your new steering wheel. I'm currently building my mk1 up at carbon motive and have the adapter you need. Fancy swapping column shaft? I can't remove the adapter as it's pressed onto the shaft

Back to the top
I had a sneaky look at your golf while I was down there, It's so nice! Also had a look as your build on here, I want your seats!! Hate to tell you the newer steering wheel I got fits my small spline, so I'm gonna keep it, sorry buddy, I would have if I hadn't already got the new wheel

Back to the top
So the new steering wheel has come today people!!
Also managed to get a fuel pump bracket and foam housing! But the bracket is to rusty for my liking even after a shot blast! So I've started making one! Let's hope it goes well!  C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
was wondering if any one has made strut braces or cross member braces? they dont seem to technical aslong as youve got the right tools?

want some like:
$T2eC16d,!)EE9s2uiPHsBQEoM723s!~~60_12.JPG barmain_large.jpg

Back to the top
so like ive said before the cars a bit of a bodge, and here is a perfect example!!! the gearbox mount was snapped!!
dont know what the last owner was thinking!!!
10304702_10201786096325744_673514061289727404_n.jpg
10348614_10201786095325719_4302733035721647601_n.jpg
10405398_10201786095605726_2579254280323710014_n.jpg
1513659_10201786096045737_6432394466650205170_n.jpg

Back to the top
Work has officially started on the car after a long wait on sourcing parts! First thing was to get the heavy engine out! Got the car up on the lift and raised it from the engine! Big thanks to the guys at Carbon Motive! Once we had done that it was pretty much stripping the car out for the next part of the job C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Last edit: by butcher103

Back to the top
That gearbox mount ??????

Looks like you've got a canny project on your hands mate.

Back to the top
It was completely thrown together, the mount in the picture is well and truely gone!! I've managed to get all the conversion mounts for the gearbox now, still need to fabricate the drivers side engine mount

Back to the top
Nothing great! But little picture from last night. C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Found loads of rust on the car today! So this means a new parts list ordered! Repair panels and a couple little bits.

Two inner wing panels
whole front panel
Left and right lower side sills
Fuel Filler panel
Rear boot lock
Go kraut Front crossmember brace
Go kraut Chassis performance subframe

Back to the top
So I got a quote off a welder to pretty much make my car solid! The price he came back with was a lot more than I thought, the car does need a fair bit doing but the £1800 quote was just way to much for my liking and pockets!! So I think it's time to learn to weld! No better time right?

I'll be replacing the inner wings, front panel, rear panel, possibly sills and each side of the scuttle panel plus a couple little bits here and there.

Any tips, tricks or things I should know when welding a mk1? Also what underseal should I use?

Back to the top
That seems pretty steep to me. Is that with you supplying all the panels too? Is there no-one on here thats local and willing to help you out for cheaper?

I've just been getting a welder myself and trying to learn how to weld - its not as easy as it looks  :$
The thing is it'll not be cheap buying a welder and all the bits you need, gas, mask, wire etc. I think mine has cost about £300+ and the welder itself was secondhand.

Back to the top
Liking this, a mk1 with a v5 it's a bit different!

Back to the top
MR_LONG I thought it was pretty steep aswell! Could get a new shell for that money, I've managed to get a guy I work with to do it for free, I'll sort him out some money though.

I've been lookin at all sorts of welders, the thing is a couple hundred and some practise means you can do so much more yourself.

Thanks Panch_mk1golf , you don't see many of them, think a lot of people dislike it, but it's the sound I love

Back to the top
Good read mate. It is going to be a nice little car once it is finished :)

Good thing about learning to weld is you can fix your own stuff whenever or help out others/make a little cash :)

Back to the top
golf1980 I hope so! The amount of effort and money that's going in to this, yeah that's the way I see it! Can do all your own stuff then!!

Little taste of what I want it to be like…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.