Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf Full Rebuild

Back to the top
Seen this photo before. Highly impractical, but looks great  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

conor1992 said

Haha why thank you :$

And I'm from Reigate/Redhill. I spend a ridiculous amount of time around Crawley and West Sussex though, and my workshop is in Pulborough in the middle of nowhere so I get around alot. Lso, I work in Dorking haha.

You local?

Ahh nice, im from leatherhead, so pretty near! when do you plan to have this on the road? be cool to see another tintop driving around!

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Seen this photo before. Highly impractical, but looks great  :thumbs:Matt
You think thats impractical? Check out his current static build  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Rubbadubdub said

Ahh nice, im from leatherhead, so pretty near! when do you plan to have this on the road? be cool to see another tintop driving around!

Ahh sweet, can't say I've seen another mk1 about at all.

And I'm always driving about the area in my awfully boring mk5 tdi haha. Yeah it's a long way off completion haha. Hoping to get a cooler daily soon though as my mk5's turbo is dying a horrible and slow death and I can't afford to repair it haha, just gonna cut my losses, sell it with the fault, and buy another mk2 most likely! Do you go to any meets?

Back to the top

conor1992 said

pazwaa said

Seen this photo before. Highly impractical, but looks great  :thumbs:Matt
You think thats impractical? Check out his current static build  :thumbs:

:o  :o  :o  low!!!!!!!

Is there a build thread?

Back to the top
Afraid not mate, he's waiting until it's finished to put one up. He's planning on keeping it multi coloured for this ear and then stripping it all back and tidying up the welds and fully painting it over next christmas. He plans to have it done for Wheels Day at Dunsfold Aerodrome in April…

Back to the top
So made a fairly big step in the build today, well it was big for me anyway, as it was scary as hell.

Goodbye roof…

And the reason I decided to sack the roof off (other than the fact it weighs a tonne)…

Now that the roof is out the car can go off to have the cage built and welded in. It's going to be attached to the edges of the roof which have been left there to keep it stiff and well braced. At the same time, I'm going to be having the rear arches cut out and re-welded back in, I've ordered the arches from VW Heritage. Whilst I was in the mood to spend money I ordered a sheet of carbon fiber to make a little blanking panel for the heater hole on the scuttle/bulk head area. Read through an older PVW mag from a couple months ago and saw one of the westside guys had bolted a carbon sheet from underneath with some nice shiny bolts   so plan on sort of 'borrowing' that idea.

In other news I also acquired a GTI rear beam with an ARB attached, took the roll bar off ready to refurb the two, will be building it back up with poly bushes and new brackets. Plan is to paint all the running gear in a nice pastel old school colour.

Back to the top
I'm confused, why did you just quote my whole build thread?  O_o

Back to the top
Brave move that man with the roof - well done  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Brave move that man with the roof - well done  :thumbs:

I can honestly say I've not done anything that ballsy before, I made a friend take the first cut just so I couldn't chicken out.

Hopefully it wasn't a big mistake haha, I'm sure I won't regret it though, once the new roof goes on, when i can eventually afford it…

Back to the top
Bit of a boring update with no pictures unfortunately, but I ordered my rear arch replacement panels this morning, and am going to meet with the guy who will be doing them later on this evening, as well as the cage.

I've also acquired my old rear beam off of my mk2 which had a rear disk brake conversion, got it for the grand price of £25 so can crack on with painting and rebuilding the rear beam on the mk1!

Lastly, I've decided on a colour for the car, Suzuka grey (new Audi colour), someone on edition 38 mentioned it to me and as soon as I saw it I thought it was perfect. I think it suits the fact that it's going to be fairly motorsport inspired, but with the carbs and interior plans it's going to be aimed more at a retro motorsport theme, so the fact that it's a sort of pastel colour goes well in my opinion. Also, its a VAG colour so sort of stays true to its roots!

Last edit: by conor1992

Back to the top
Sounds like a good colour choice to me, look forward to seeing it ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Got a photo of another car in the grey?

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Got a photo of another car in the grey?

Matt

Yes mate here…

Back to the top
Nice colour that, it's going to look awesome :thumbs:

Back to the top
So, I managed to acquire some wishbones and hubs for a tenner, not particularly interesting items, but while I'm saving to have the arches and cage done I figured I would get cracking on refurbing the running gear as it's fairly inexpensive and strangely satisfying. Started out just removing the random drive shafts attached to the hubs, as well as the disks and dust guards, next I just need to split the hub from the bearing housing, press the bearing out and I can send them to be powder coated before reassembling them. Wishbones will be seam welded, powder coated and polybushed.

Also my A4 sheet of carbon fibre turned up, so I can get that cut to size and drill the holes ready to blank the big rectangular heater hole in the scuttle from the inside, I think having it welded makes it look a little odd, plus this way if I decide I want to put the heater back in then the option is always there.

Lastly, my arches turned up, they look like they're gonna be awful, but only bits of them will be used, I don't intend on having the half the rear quarters cut out with these put in their place. I went and spoke to Gary French (some of you may know him) about having my arches sorted and it will be going ahead very soon, I also discussed the roll cage and got a quote for that too, so things may go quiet for a little while whilst I sell body parts to fund that…

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Nice colour that, it's going to look awesome :thumbs:

Cheers buddy  ;)

Back to the top
As mr meltdrummer says, that colour will look great on a mk1 golf  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

As mr meltdrummer says, that colour will look great on a mk1 golf  :thumbs:

Matt

Just bloody realised that the car of the month on the home page is suzuka grey! Dammit! Oh well, we will see…

Back to the top
Nice work so far bud
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.