Skip navigation

02j gearbox tower

Back to the top
Hi,
Am looking for an 02j gearbox tower! Something like this:

I've been to a couple of scrap yards and found nothing, and people with gearboxes on ebay don't want to sell just the tower :/

If anybody has one that'd be fantastic!

Many thanks :)

'82 c formel e - 1.8t 20v 

Back to the top
I have one still on my 02J box how much were you offering? as I was only after 75 quid for my box and corrado shifter +cables

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top

collo16v said

I have one still on my 02J box how much were you offering? as I was only after 75 quid for my box and corrado shifter +cables

Oh great! Would you accept £30 posted and include the cable ends/connectors? Just in case it's a different style fitting to the end of the cables I have at the moment. As I believe there are three different ends: a thin peg, a thicker peg and a ball type fitting.

Many thanks!

Back to the top
Are all then shifter cable ends interchangeable?

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
Yeah I believe so, you just pull the spring back and can remove them

Back to the top
The tower in my 02j in the jetta seems a bit stiff, got the gear cables attached properly today, doesn't feel as smooth as it should, might remove it and lube it up incase something is sticking….. If not I have an o2a box somewhere….

View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Yeah remove it and grease it up and it should be better!

Back to the top
Corrado one won't be the same if you have removable ends. You need a late 2001- tower to get the removable ends. 
I have a late one £50 posted 

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Mine came from a 2001 golf mk4 1.9tdi, guna romove it tomorrow and see what's going on, want to sort it before I get it running

Back to the top

funk-star said

Corrado one won't be the same if you have removable ends. You need a late 2001- tower to get the removable ends. 
I have a late one £50 posted 

That sounds good. Could you get it posted out first class tomorrow? I need it asap really as I am currently using an 02a tower in an 02j box with an 02a shifter and the shifter has broken so I can't get reverse  :lol: a bit of a pain. So basically I need the 02j tower to fit my 02j box so I can use the 02j shifter that's currently sat in my garage.
Cheers

Back to the top
Lol. And your cables deff have removable ends! 

Back to the top
Yes the cables definitely have removable ends. If you send me a private message with your paypal I can pay now for you. Cheers!

Also another question, as I plan on mounting the shifter inside the car I obviously need to run the cables through the firewall. How do I go about disconnecting the cables from the bracket? As I obviously cannot run the cables through with the bracket still attached. Thanks

Back to the top
You should have 2 clips iirc and then they pull out of the bracket. 

Also I'll message you details in a mo

Back to the top
Cheers will have a look.

The shifter is from a mk4 golf, where is the best place to put the holes in the firewall?

Cheers

Back to the top
I would of thought you would run them under the car as per mk4 etc?

Also a pic and paypal details has been messaged

Back to the top
Yes I will run them under the carpet but want the shifter inside the car, so cables will go under the carpet but will have to go through the firewall somewhere.

Cheers, have sent the payment.

Back to the top

funk-star said

I would of thought you would run them under the car as per mk4 etc?

Also a pic and paypal details has been messaged

Got the tower yesterday, thanks a lot.

I took the 02a tower out my 02j box, the parts that actually go inside look identical but it seems like it doesn't want to go in, is there a technique or does it require a bit of force to get seated again? (It took a bit of force getting the 02a tower out)
Cheers

Back to the top
On the under side of the box, opposite to the hole for the tower there is a cap held on with 2 screws. Drop that off (will drain all your oil) and see if the cap fits the shaft on the tower. 
If it doesn't let me know and I'll send the one from this box. 

Back to the top

funk-star said

On the under side of the box, opposite to the hole for the tower there is a cap held on with 2 screws. Drop that off (will drain all your oil) and see if the cap fits the shaft on the tower. 
If it doesn't let me know and I'll send the one from this box. 

The shaft diameter is the same as the 02a one that was fitted so I assume it should go in. Would it be easier to remove the cap at the bottom, fit the tower and then install the cap again? It seems that last bit is where it's having difficulty going in. Thank you

Back to the top
Yea, that could work. 
Worth trying it on the shaft tho. 

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.