Skip navigation

ICE build help pl

Back to the top

scrag said

CraigSherriff said

Of course mate, I used these:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/se322-8cm-speakers

I'm off to fit them in a couple of minutes :)

I literally got these for trial fit. I will be getting a decent pair in the near future.

nice one could you put a picy up when fitted maybe.

I went one better for you… I wired them in and took a quick video for you to give perspective of what to expect. 2 Clips, shorter one is just one speaker (close up) 2nd both speakers with cards reseated and covered etc.. Enjoy!

Photo and Video Storage | Photobucket

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/craigsherriff/media/3393F86F-A93D-4CAA-8CED-CF55BB26D895_zpspcfse4ej.mp4.html

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

scrag said

Still need to know the best way to run a six speaker set up with a bass box anyone done it out there.
That could give me a diagram of the set up maybe or a link to a ice build maybe.
Also am i right in thinking if i use components with a cross over i have to have an amp or will they run of the head unit.:ocf_emoticons__dontknow:someone must have this set up out there.
Thanks

In it's basic form it's very simple. It gets more complicated as you try to fine tune your sound. The basics needed are;

1 x Head unit with at least 1 x RCA out
1 x AMP wiring kit
6 x Speakers
3 x Pairs of speaker wire, long enough to run from AMP to each speaker
1 x Bass box
1 x 7 Channel AMP - The more channels the better, but these things don't come cheap!

Again, simplest form; you simply connect your head unit, connect your phono leads to your RCA out on the head unit and connect to the RCA Input on your amp.

Wire each speaker as per the amp set up (i.e - Front left positive, front right negative etc…) Wire your sub in.

Obviously the above is presuming you know how to wire your amp in (Earth, live, etc…)

The above will do the trick but will sound pants!! The sub will struggle for power, the speakers (as there are 2 many in a small car) will over power the bass. The amp will struggle constantly to drive all channels, especially if you like your music loud.

In terms of introducing the cross overs, it still doesn't effect the above. The cross over takes one feed from your AMP (i.e FL+ and FL-) and you then pair your wires off from the box to the corresponding component - Such as tweeter and midrange etc…

Hope this helps…

I might just put my bass box in boot and run my 4 speakers of head unit then if its going to sound poo
or maybe a 4 channel amp then
would you do a 4 channel.

Back to the top
You need to decide what type of sound your after. Obviously I don't know you and I mean no disrespect by this comment, but if your looking for something to just go boom boom and have heads turn at you as you drive then 6 speakers and a sub will do that no problems!

If you want something more refined, excellent quality and loud enough to make YOU smile and not the wider public then the perfect set up would be 4 speakers, a small sub, good speaker wire and a top quality amp.

It's really your call…

Personally, I'm the latter. My set up will eventually consist of a 5 channel amp running…

Either an 8" or 10" Focal sub
13cm Focal component speakers and tweeter for the front
10cm Focal coaxial speakers in the rear
High grade speaker cable and phono leads

That would be me happy as Larry for a long time ! :thumbs:

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

You need to decide what type of sound your after. Obviously I don't know you and I mean no disrespect by this comment, but if your looking for something to just go boom boom and have heads turn at you as you drive then 6 speakers and a sub will do that no problems!

If you want something more refined, excellent quality and loud enough to make YOU smile and not the wider public then the perfect set up would be 4 speakers, a small sub, good speaker wire and a top quality amp.

It's really your call…

Personally, I'm the latter. My set up will eventually consist of a 5 channel amp running…

Either an 8" or 10" Focal sub
13cm Focal component speakers and tweeter for the front
10cm Focal coaxial speakers in the rear
High grade speaker cable and phono leads

That would be me happy as Larry for a long time ! :thumbs:

Yes mate im 40 LOL i just want a clear sounding set up
the six set up was only because i wanted speaker in rear shelf.
But when hoods down i thought i would not here them
and be left with 4 speakers.
and it is for me not the man on street.
so looks like a 5 channel amp then.
thanks for you help one more thing whot should i look
For in an amp
watts
Ohms
name
high price

Back to the top
You can see why I delicately put that then : ) I'm pushing 30 now and my boom boom days are long behind me!!

Don't get to caught up on Watts, to find a noticeable difference in such a small compact environment such as a car, would cost ££££'s.

The ohms is a tricky thing, the lower the OHM the harder it is to drive a speaker, they draw more power. Most AMPs are capable at driving both 2 & 4 ohms without you having to change anything. You tend to find that the higher end portion of car audio use the lower ohm rating, as such, their amps will naturally work well with them.

My best piece of advice to you, is to try and brand match where possible. The reason for this is because most brands tailor their products to all be of similar soundstage and quality. A beautifully matched system can sometimes out way that of an expensive none matched system as the acoustics simply don't work together !!

If you have a budget in mind I don't mind having a little look around to see what I would do…

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

You can see why I delicately put that then : ) I'm pushing 30 now and my boom boom days are long behind me!!

Don't get to caught up on Watts, to find a noticeable difference in such a small compact environment such as a car, would cost ££££'s.

The ohms is a tricky thing, the lower the OHM the harder it is to drive a speaker, they draw more power. Most AMPs are capable at driving both 2 & 4 ohms without you having to change anything. You tend to find that the higher end portion of car audio use the lower ohm rating, as such, their amps will naturally work well with them.

My best piece of advice to you, is to try and brand match where possible. The reason for this is because most brands tailor their products to all be of similar soundstage and quality. A beautifully matched system can sometimes out way that of an expensive none matched system as the acoustics simply don't work together !!

If you have a budget in mind I don't mind having a little look around to see what I would do…

Great.  amp about 150 front speakers 50 rears 50 i have a base box and an alpine head unit .but can change if need be.I would like speaker to fit as vw intended thou .
thanks spend away lol.
And thanks

Back to the top
Oh and i have some good speaker wire copper stuff thick stuff and some gold fitments.
:thumbs:

Back to the top
My personal preference on that budget would be along the lines of;

The infinity amp below. Whilst on the surface of things the watts per channel looks low and you instantly start to compare against your head unit - This power is delivered totally different and will be nothing like that coming from your head unit.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/ref5350a-5-channel-amplifier

Brand matching is tricky here, but infinity products are renown for their clarity and precision so it's worth doing a little reading and seeing what you can find. I know infinity manufactured a 6 x 4 product, they are just extremely rare to find! I know they do them as I personally have them as my front speakers! The link below gives an indication that there are some out there, albeit these are across the pond…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-6412cf-reference-speakers-NIB-/280540254294?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item4151809056

It's still to be confirmed by another forum member but they believe that you can fit 10cm speakers in the rear because the securing holes touch 4 points of car thus allowing you to make small pilot holes and custom fit securely… Will let you know how that pans out. If this is the case then something like the below would complete the selection beautifully. Well balanced, well powered and well matched.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/reference-4032cf-10cm-speakers

If I was lucky enough to source all of the above for good decent prices I would look to stretch the budget and try and get hold of an Infinity 10" sub. The smaller unit, again well balanced to compliment the above set up, would rapidly attack bass notes leaving a crisp and clean bass as opposed to a drone!

Hope this offers some food for thought mate.

Craig

Back to the top

scrag said

Oh and i have some good speaker wire copper stuff thick stuff and some gold fitments.

Thickness plays a big part, but with cars the shielding is also important given that most speaker wires share the same paths in the car as all the other electrics… If yours looks well shielded you should be good in that regard.

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

scrag said

Thickness plays a big part, but with cars the shielding is also important given that most speaker wires share the same paths in the car as all the other electrics… If yours looks well shielded you should be good in that regard.

Big thanks ill look into all that nice one.

Back to the top

scrag said

CraigSherriff said

scrag said

scrag said

CraigSherriff said

scrag said

The bass box i have is this http://caraudiosecurity.com/edb10a-10-active-bass-box will it work with the set up you suggested if so haw would i wire it up or will i need a new one.
im thinking off going for that set up.
Thanks again

Back to the top
Hi mate,

You can use your existing sub of course, however, in doing so you introduce more fuss to the equation. Have a quick look at the basic guide to wire your current subwoofer in.

http://www.edgecaraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/wiring-active.jpg

Notice that you need both a "Live" feed and "Earth" to run your amp. To run another amp alongside to drive your speakers you also need another "Live" and another "Earth". It's not a massive issue, it does mean though that you'd need an power block to split your live feed into 2 so you can power both amps. It also means that you'd need an additional earth cable in what would already be a very busy boot space.

Not to mention the issue about this being completely different to your other products (should you buy them) thus affecting the sound stage and overall delivery once your system is set up.

Personally, I'd look to sell the sub and contribute the money towards sourcing other products to match your system.

Craig

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Hi mate,

You can use your existing sub of course, however, in doing so you introduce more fuss to the equation. Have a quick look at the basic guide to wire your current subwoofer in.

http://www.edgecaraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/wiring-active.jpg

Notice that you need both a "Live" feed and "Earth" to run your amp. To run another amp alongside to drive your speakers you also need another "Live" and another "Earth". It's not a massive issue, it does mean though that you'd need an power block to split your live feed into 2 so you can power both amps. It also means that you'd need an additional earth cable in what would already be a very busy boot space.

Not to mention the issue about this being completely different to your other products (should you buy them) thus affecting the sound stage and overall delivery once your system is set up.

Personally, I'd look to sell the sub and contribute the money towards sourcing other products to match your system.

Craig

Cheers i sell mine then so could you recommend a bass box for that set up then and the front speakers from the USA .Ive email if they will post but no reply .so would need to know wot to put in front with that set up too . Thanks craig this is my name to lol.

Back to the top
Hi Craig :lol:You really want to be getting the Kappa 10" Subwoofer if possible. Had a quick scout on eBay and found this gem of one!! Don't think it will last to long though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infinity-Kappa-Perfect101-1-Way-25-4-cm-Car-Subwoofer-/171210577132?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27dcf214ec

This unit cost a hefty price when new & were an exceptional product, the link below shows you in a little more detail about the item itself, have a look at the customer reviews to mate!! :cool:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b6ar3GFxM39/p_108PER10VQ/Infinity-Kappa-Perfect10-VQ.html#customer-reviews-tab

As for alternative speakers…

If the cost of shipping is to much / Or they don't get back to you I'd keep searching eBay for one to come in the mainland mate. In the meantime just buy the cheapest 6 x 4 you can to make do. I wouldn't waste anymore than I had to.

Let me know how you get on.

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Hi Craig :lol:You really want to be getting the Kappa 10" Subwoofer if possible. Had a quick scout on eBay and found this gem of one!! Don't think it will last to long though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infinity-Kappa-Perfect101-1-Way-25-4-cm-Car-Subwoofer-/171210577132?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27dcf214ec

This unit cost a hefty price when new & were an exceptional product, the link below shows you in a little more detail about the item itself, have a look at the customer reviews to mate!! :cool:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b6ar3GFxM39/p_108PER10VQ/Infinity-Kappa-Perfect10-VQ.html#customer-reviews-tab

As for alternative speakers…

If the cost of shipping is to much / Or they don't get back to you I'd keep searching eBay for one to come in the mainland mate. In the meantime just buy the cheapest 6 x 4 you can to make do. I wouldn't waste anymore than I had to.

Let me know how you get on.

Nice one going to go for it bought the sub going to place order on the amp and rear speaker now . just one thing could you tell me the best wiring kit to go for and a big  Thank you if you need any cabrio bits let me know i may have wot you need ive broken 3 for spares cheers .

Back to the top
Just glad I can help mate : )

Quick question - Do you have enough speaker to wire your fronts & rears to your amp or do you need a kit with speaker wire to??

(On the other note, do you have the interiors from the cars? If so, what type are they? i.e. - Colour?)

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Just glad I can help mate : )

Quick question - Do you have enough speaker to wire your fronts & rears to your amp or do you need a kit with speaker wire to??

(On the other note, do you have the interiors from the cars? If so, what type are they? i.e. - Colour?)

I have lots of wire Craig remember i had six speakers in mind LOL.
I have some bits left. Wot do you need would need to check loft im mixing some bits to get wot i need IE rear cards with holes in . So no grill needed.no seats left may have dash . give me a list of wot you need im ebaying weekend ill be in loft and my 3 sheds LOL.
Cheers craig

Back to the top
Oh yeah, nearly forgot that for a moment lol :lol:It's a bit of a pain getting the wires you need… Buying the power and ground leads alone for the type you need is quite costly. A bundle deal (Giving you stuff you already have) looks to be the most cost effective solution here.

So dependent on exactly what you have, you ideally need;

1 x 5m run of 4-Gauge power lead (In-line fuse would be needed)
1 x 1m run of 4-Gauge earth cable
1 x Pair of RCA
1 x Remote lead

Or… You can simply buy the below and be safe in the knowledge knowing you got everything you needed.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_723215_langId_-1_categoryId_265888

I've spent most of last year buying all sorts.. I wish you had came along sooner :( - At the moment though I need a new handbrake lever (Full version, i.e not just the handle) & a decent parcel shelf :offtopic:

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Oh yeah, nearly forgot that for a moment lol :lol:It's a bit of a pain getting the wires you need… Buying the power and ground leads alone for the type you need is quite costly. A bundle deal (Giving you stuff you already have) looks to be the most cost effective solution here.

So dependent on exactly what you have, you ideally need;

1 x 5m run of 4-Gauge power lead (In-line fuse would be needed)
1 x 1m run of 4-Gauge earth cable
1 x Pair of RCA
1 x Remote lead

Or… You can simply buy the below and be safe in the knowledge knowing you got everything you needed.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_723215_langId_-1_categoryId_265888

I've spent most of last year buying all sorts.. I wish you had came along sooner :( - At the moment though I need a new handbrake lever (Full version, i.e not just the handle) & a decent parcel shelf :offtopic:

Great ill go with kit i have some halfords vouchers wot shade shelf do you need mate. and were are you.Also hand brake cover i might have to. You got a pic to be sure im on the right bit .

Back to the top
Excellent - You will be up and running in no time : )

Ideally the blue shade if possible?

Picture below - I need the whole part itself :(http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mUYYDi08-3OAhQTWM5ZLnwg.jpg

I live in Leamington Spa (Warwick)…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.