Skip navigation

ICE build help pl

Back to the top
Hi all I’ve had a look on here and can`t find the answers I need so I thought I would ask.
So I have an 85 plate cabrio and the inside is stripped out so I want to do my ICE wiring now.
But the thing is I’m not sure what I need I know what I want which is.
1.       Alpine CDE – 9880R Head unit (Which I Have but can change if need be) and my ipod.
2.       Front door cards will be 6x4s AS OEM
3.       Rear passenger  card speakers for when hoods down ( not sure of OEM size here maybe someone could tell me )
4.       Rear self  2x 6x9s
5.       And a sub in boot which I have one that I wired to the Alpine CDE – 9880R Head unit plug and play. But again can be changed if need be.
6.       And a amp to run it all which then leads me to the question 2`3`4`5`6`7`8` channel which one will I need
7.       Wiring diagram for above would be a big help to.
I`m only looking for good clean sound with some base and to run the six speakers and base box
Not looking to win any sound offs LOL
Thank all Cheers.

Back to the top
You need one channel per speaker that you want. I've recently installed new front speakers and amp to my MK2 and was a complete newb to amp installs and thought it was really daunting but it turned out to be really simply.

Halfords do a cable kit which is good and has all you need in it for the amp install. If you're not wanting to win and sound offs then I'd question if you really need 6 speakers as guess 4 is enough.

Here's my thread from the MK2 OC with lots of questions I asked - and answers which hopefully will help you ;)

http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31385&hilit=amp+install

It goes on a few pages but should help out  :lol:

Good luck with it ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

You need one channel per speaker that you want. I've recently installed new front speakers and amp to my MK2 and was a complete newb to amp installs and thought it was really daunting but it turned out to be really simply.

Halfords do a cable kit which is good and has all you need in it for the amp install. If you're not wanting to win and sound offs then I'd question if you really need 6 speakers as guess 4 is enough.

Here's my thread from the MK2 OC with lots of questions I asked - and answers which hopefully will help you ;)

http://www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31385&hilit=amp+install

It goes on a few pages but should help out  :lol:

Good luck with it ;)

Thanks just read it all wot is a cross over . Also i do need  six speaker set up and bass box for when my hoods down . So will i need 6 channel and 1 for bass box = 7 channels  O_o  also of memory my head unit only has 2x RCA outs i think (still in mk2 golf dash) .Also will i have to match all  the speaker watts to the app watts per channel.
Cheers fella

Back to the top
Just run 4 speakers off the headunit and a small amp for the sub why do any diffrent ? 

Back to the top

bugs-gti said

Just run 4 speakers off the headunit and a small amp for the sub why do any diffrent ? 

Just want to get a nice ICE in there . do the job ones and for all. :thumbs:

Back to the top

scrag said

Hi all I’ve had a look on here and can`t find the answers I need so I thought I would ask.
So I have an 85 plate cabrio and the inside is stripped out so I want to do my ICE wiring now.
1.       Alpine CDE – 9880R Head unit (Which I Have but can change if need be) and my ipod.
3.       Rear passenger  card speakers for when hoods down ( not sure of OEM size here maybe someone could tell me )
5.       And a sub in boot which I have one that I wired to the Alpine CDE – 9880R Head unit plug and play. But again can be changed if need be.
6.       And a amp to run it all which then leads me to the question 2`3`4`5`6`7`8` channel which one will I need
I`m only looking for good clean sound with some base and to run the six speakers and base box
Thank all Cheers.

Rear passenger size is either 8cm or 6 x 4 also.

I really wouldn't ruin your rear shelf with 6 x 9's. If you invest the money in a decent pair of components for the front and a small, subtle sub you will achieve a brilliant sound without weighing your car down with tonne's of ICE.

My best suggestion would be to hunt down the later door cards with the 13cm factory door pockets. At this size speaker you can buy a broad range of top branded components, personally I'd by the JM Focal… a choice of a few at that size to!

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
The crossover connects inline between the amp and speakers. My component speakers were only about £40 but the sound quality is far superior I've found to good speakers and no amp.

In my MK2 thread the crossovers are the two little black boxes stuck under the dash - these came with my component speakers.

I think you're right on the number of channels but as mentioned about perhaps best to not go for so many speakers.

Your RCA outs should be ok, as you can get splitters as far as I'm aware to double them up.

I'm not great on the sizing of amps but yes the speaker to amp size is important so you don't wreck your speakers!

Hope this helps, I'm sure there's many more qualified around here to talk about ICE as I'm a relative virgin to it all!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

scrag said

Thank all Cheers.

Rear passenger size is either 8cm or 6 x 4 also.

I really wouldn't ruin your rear shelf with 6 x 9's. If you invest the money in a decent pair of components for the front and a small, subtle sub you will achieve a brilliant sound without weighing your car down with tonne's of ICE.

My best suggestion would be to hunt down the later door cards with the 13cm factory door pockets. At this size speaker you can buy a broad range of top branded components, personally I'd by the JM Focal… a choice of a few at that size to!

Thanks when you talk about later door cards do you mean the rear cards and do you have a link to the speakers you are talkin about maybe thanks again.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

The crossover connects inline between the amp and speakers. My component speakers were only about £40 but the sound quality is far superior I've found to good speakers and no amp.

In my MK2 thread the crossovers are the two little black boxes stuck under the dash - these came with my component speakers.

I think you're right on the number of channels but as mentioned about perhaps best to not go for so many speakers.

Your RCA outs should be ok, as you can get splitters as far as I'm aware to double them up.

I'm not great on the sizing of amps but yes the speaker to amp size is important so you don't wreck your speakers!

Hope this helps, I'm sure there's many more qualified around here to talk about ICE as I'm a relative virgin to it all!

Cheers but whot does the cross over do

Back to the top
Hi mate,

Here's one version that house 6 x 4's and the grille sits on the outside of the car;

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mDGLG1iWR3HNN-CFsV0v-4A.jpg

This is the other type (Which I have) that have a little bracket to house an 8cm speaker and the sound passes through some small holes in the door card / speaker completely hidden;

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mjGLraJzdBPCWHkIG4lywKg.jpg

Hope these links have worked!

The front door cards also have 2 options - Do you have cards for these already mate?

Back to the top

scrag said

Hairyarse said

Cheers but whot does the cross over do

The cross over separates the 3 components of a speaker, bass, treble and mid range. Normally cross over speakers give greater focus to the midrange (where most of sound you like to hear comes from) - Thus giving you best sound possible. Components really are the bees knees mate!

Back to the top
The crossover splits the 'power' (I guess) or feed from the amp/head unit to the speakers.

On coaxial speakers (your standard ones) you just have two wires going from each speaker to the head unit. With component speakers you'd replace your front door speakers, for example, for components like these (random example) http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_865333_langId_-1_categoryId_265869

So you know have a separate woofer and separate tweeter - four speakers instead of two and now you have four cables to deal with not two per 'speaker.' These four go in to one crossover, then you have a two core cable from your amp in to the crossover, then your sound split to each speaker is taken care of, along with the RCA cable from head unit to amp

Here's a pic of my crossovers (before I tidied the cables!)

The big, flat, black cable is the single two core wire from the amp and the rest go to my component speakers in the front. I've got no rear speakers.

Here's a pic of the amp I bought, mounted under the passenger seat

I didn't want it in the boot so went for this option as there's enough clearance for it.

Finally, here's the cable kit I bought which is excellent and good quality. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_723215_langId_-1_categoryId_265888

Important to note is make sure you don't run the power cable next to the RCA cables or you can get interference plus make sure you fit the ground cable before connecting power or you can blow the amp. With mounting the amp under the seat I connected the ground cable to the lower seatbelt mount.

I was really daunted by it all as never done this before but after asking loads of questions on MK2 forum - and getting answers of course - it was ok and found it really easy to be honest, just a little time consuming being methodical with it all

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Forgot to send you a link to that brand I was speaking of, these are one of the best out there and compete in the highest levels of audio equipment around the home.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/speakers-subs_coaxial-speakers_13cm-5-25-speakers-1/manufacturer-focal

Let me know if you need anything else mate : )

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

The cross over separates the 3 components of a speaker, bass, treble and mid range. Normally cross over speakers give greater focus to the midrange (where most of sound you like to hear comes from) - Thus giving you best sound possible. Components really are the bees knees mate!

That's a better description than mine! But yes, components are the bees knees, was surprised at the difference

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Hi mate,

Here's one version that house 6 x 4's and the grille sits on the outside of the car;

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mDGLG1iWR3HNN-CFsV0v-4A.jpg

This is the other type (Which I have) that have a little bracket to house an 8cm speaker and the sound passes through some small holes in the door card / speaker completely hidden;

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mjGLraJzdBPCWHkIG4lywKg.jpg

Hope these links have worked!

The front door cards also have 2 options - Do you have cards for these already mate?

Nice one i have the ones with lots of tiny holes in
So i need some unrated speaker to go behind the card  
And also miss the window when wound down. could you tell me which you used please.

Back to the top
Of course mate, I used these:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/se322-8cm-speakers

I'm off to fit them in a couple of minutes :)

I literally got these for trial fit. I will be getting a decent pair in the near future.

Back to the top
Still need to know the best way to run a six speaker set up with a bass box anyone done it out there.
That could give me a diagram of the set up maybe or a link to a ice build maybe.
Also am i right in thinking if i use components with a cross over i have to have an amp or will they run of the head unit.:ocf_emoticons__dontknow:someone must have this set up out there.
Thanks

Back to the top

CraigSherriff said

Of course mate, I used these:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/se322-8cm-speakers

I'm off to fit them in a couple of minutes :)

I literally got these for trial fit. I will be getting a decent pair in the near future.

nice one could you put a picy up when fitted maybe.

Back to the top
If you have component speakers you must have an amp, you can't run them solely off the head unit.

Not sure on the set up you need to be honest, but guessing you need 7 channels at least. Do some googling, I found at the time I did mine a site with some useful info on installing the amp and I'm sure there's plenty more info and diagrams out there ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

scrag said

Still need to know the best way to run a six speaker set up with a bass box anyone done it out there.
That could give me a diagram of the set up maybe or a link to a ice build maybe.
Also am i right in thinking if i use components with a cross over i have to have an amp or will they run of the head unit.:ocf_emoticons__dontknow:someone must have this set up out there.
Thanks

In it's basic form it's very simple. It gets more complicated as you try to fine tune your sound. The basics needed are;

1 x Head unit with at least 1 x RCA out
1 x AMP wiring kit
6 x Speakers
3 x Pairs of speaker wire, long enough to run from AMP to each speaker
1 x Bass box
1 x 7 Channel AMP - The more channels the better, but these things don't come cheap!

Again, simplest form; you simply connect your head unit, connect your phono leads to your RCA out on the head unit and connect to the RCA Input on your amp.

Wire each speaker as per the amp set up (i.e - Front left positive, front right negative etc…) Wire your sub in.

Obviously the above is presuming you know how to wire your amp in (Earth, live, etc…)

The above will do the trick but will sound pants!! The sub will struggle for power, the speakers (as there are 2 many in a small car) will over power the bass. The amp will struggle constantly to drive all channels, especially if you like your music loud.

In terms of introducing the cross overs, it still doesn't effect the above. The cross over takes one feed from your AMP (i.e FL+ and FL-) and you then pair your wires off from the box to the corresponding component - Such as tweeter and midrange etc…

Hope this helps…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.