Skip navigation

1987 Cabby speaker sizes

Back to the top
As you say the weather has not been good in Somerset with all this rain so not had chance to get the side card off and have a look when I get home from work as well its dark. I'm planning to have a look Saturday.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I've just took my rear cards of so here's some pics for u.

6x4 speakers.

Back to the top
Thank you, I've not seen how the 6 x 4 connect before. Are they just screwed to the back of the door card?

I have the 8cm but I think 10cm fit, which is why I'm pestering mark1gls all the time : ) 

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
It stopped raining today and managed to get some pictures of what I fitted.
Pictures

I got rid of the bracket which was holding the old speaker in and fixed the new ones in 2 of the existing holes
They are Sony Xplod xs f1020

Door card back on so you can see what I have.

To get over the lack of bass I fitted this in the boot :ninja:
And fixed the amp to the back of the speaker box.

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thank you so much at mark1gls finally the riddle is solved! Need to save a bit of money to get the 10cm speakers that I'm after now : )

Absolute gentleman, cheers.

1990 - Cabriolet GTI 1.8 (DX)

Back to the top
Gents, I have literally just come to upgrade from the original 1989 VAG speakers, which are predictably terrible at this point.

I have sourced some Infinity's for the front (courtesy of Craig's post - thank you Craig!) and am just trying to figure out the biggest/best for rear mounting.

Mark1gls has got a couple of Sony's in there, but having checked through the specs, it looks like they have quite a shallow mounting depth (1.75 inches).

Is there much room behind the magnet of your Sony's mate? I am eyeing up some JBL GTO 429s, but their mounting depth is 1.9 inches…. Do we think they'll fit (in the stock location behind the card)? Or too deep (not usually a probleem I have)?

I live in Oz, so all parts will effectively be imported - thus I'm trying to get it right first time.

Recommendations welcome!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.