Skip navigation

newbie...

Back to the top
evening peeps,name is dave,just been given an 1983 Mk1 for christmas off my mrs………very happy bunny ..lol…this is my first golf and always had a soft spot for early one's….currently own a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 as well(2.5 V6 twin turbo)…..but back to the golf,been stood for around 10 yrs but managed to get her running pretty quickly,so there's an instant bonus……will get some pics when i get chance,have some on my facebook account,so,will try and export them across………..so be prepared guys for lots of questions and advice requirements…hope to become a regular on here,as i like to do the show scene etc…..ttfn

dave

Back to the top
Hello Dave and welcome along to the forum and MK1 Golf ownership.

Stick some pics up when you can and consider becoming a member too for discounts on parts, insurance etc.

Worth the money if you're going to be buying a few bits for the car which it sounds like you're going to be :)

Smudger

Back to the top

Back to the top
yeh,probably will become a member….do you need to a required number of 'posts' before you can post pics?

Back to the top
No mate you should be able to do it straight away…

All is explained in THIS thread.

Smudger

Back to the top
see if this works..

yay……………:thumbs:

Back to the top
Yup that works mate. She looks nice and clean.

Much need doing to her?

Back to the top
quick shot of interior……………

Back to the top
she's gonna need a few parts to get ready for the mot…….section of exhaust after downpipe is fooooked,a front screen(big crack),fuel filler pipe(neck) is knackered and leaks..offside inner headlight needs replacing and need to look at front wiper motor(not working)….had a full under seal before storing so,pretty good underneath…brakes need looking at(slight bind) which is to be expected after 10 yrs…..but generally overall i am pretty happy with it

Back to the top
They don't sound too mjor mate tbh especially if you are going to do all the work yourself.

Best of luck,

Smudger

Back to the top
Hi welcome along very tidy looking car we got a driver hidden away that needs to be restored….. maybe one day….

Anyway how come you got 2 stereo's? lol

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

Hi welcome along very tidy looking car we got a driver hidden away that needs to be restored….. maybe one day….

Scott

lol……….thought the same myself….neither work either…pmsl……..the car came with them fitted…..both will be seeing the bin…

Back to the top
Welcome Dave, that looks tidy - and what a cracking pressy from your other half - you owe her big time  :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Welcome Dave, that looks tidy - and what a cracking pressy from your other half - you owe her big time  :)

yeh,know what you mean………it was one of her friends cars,who moved to chicago many years ago and left it standing in her garage of the old house…she always knew i wanted to buy it from her but her friend said she was giving it to her brother when i enquired afew months ago….not knowing she and the mrs was scheming behind my back……gobsmacked was an understatement on chrimbo morning… :)

Back to the top

666damned said

arf333 said

Scott

lol……….thought the same myself….neither work either…pmsl……..the car came with them fitted…..both will be seeing the bin…

lmao fair enough…. where abouts you located if youre local ill take the one above heater controls off your hands ;)

my mrs got me a mk1 for xmas too……

although mine was 1 43 scale :D

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

666damned said

Hairyarse said

yeh,know what you mean………it was one of her friends cars,who moved to chicago many years ago and left it standing in her garage of the old house…she always knew i wanted to buy it from her but her friend said she was giving it to her brother when i enquired afew months ago….not knowing she and the mrs was scheming behind my back……gobsmacked was an understatement on chrimbo morning… :)

Well at least you know you wont get any complaints when you spend time working on it, it's her fault!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Welcome!

Back to the top
Thnx for the welcome guys…….first of many parts ordered…new down pipe,petrol tank filler and a brake light switch…….hopefully get to do a bit over the weekend………but she's bottom of the list ATM….daughters polo is priority…:-(

Back to the top
Welcome and nice present!

Looks really tidy, bet you can't wait to get it on the road  :)

Back to the top
hi guys………………………..very very long overdue update,well shes out and about with all her tickets needed,and has covered about 2000 miles since MOT fairly trouble free…..loving the reaction fromm total strangers coming for a chat about her………..the lads m8s also luv her….

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.