Skip navigation

Doing head gasket

Back to the top

Any tips along the way, any recommendations on jobs I should do aswel?

I always have them on my watch list but they always go for over a 10er! I don't mean to sound cheap but there's always something better I can spend a 10er on lol, eg fuel(when she's running) or small parts when she's not lol! Could someone possibly tell me the torque settings for the head bolts please lol?

Back to the top

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Is this the complete Book Jon???

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
See the problem there is im sure the book fails to mention the ability to swap the head for a gti one!?
I got my 1.8 ex head back today just bought both manifolds and now I read I need a gti head :P  O_o  :'(

Proudly suppliying Blackpool with a village idiot since 1977!

Back to the top
thats the mk2 golf bentley manual, it has a fair bit of useful mk1 stuff in there but nothing on carbs as its a US repair manual plus obviously anythign that is mk1 specific isnt mentioned.  

Keep looking for the MK1 Brown haynes its brilliant on a par or even better then the mk1 bentley! the mk2 haynes is complete garbage in comparison to it, you wouldnt know it was done by the same outfit unless you looked at the cover

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Sorry not been back for a while, had cash flow problems so not been rushing! We got if done anyway with no issues really, the only tricky bit for us was the cambelt tensioner and the tension of the cambelt, I may even take the car to a garage to make sure it's right lol! It started with one turn of the key, quicker and easier than sometimes previously so that made me smile :) ran fine and cooling system worked fine so that's all good! That was just sat on the drive though as it's out of tax! The only thing was while it was sat running we could hear a slight whistling type noise, couldn't find the source of it and haven't been back to it for around a week so still not any closer to finding out what it is….any1 got any ideas? Thanks for all the help along the way

Back to the top
If the whistling noise goes up and down with the rev, sound sort of like a super charger is fitted to the car it's because the cam belt is a little to tight, losen the cambelt just a little and the noise should go away.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.