Skip navigation

K-Jet Help Please!

Back to the top
Thanks guys, I shall try and do what you both have mentioned to do before I try the injectors etc, would you mind if I send you some links to see if they are all the right parts I need to order and if you wouldn't mind sending me the links of the things I cant find please guys just so I don't get the wrong parts? Thanks a lot fellas

Back to the top

Caddylove said

I have a problem with my 91 Gti Cab, randomly when im driving along it sometimes out of no where the car feels like it has just braked by itself, then furtherh along it will just cut out, the engine will turn over but not fire until its been left say 20 minutes. I have had a mechanic look at it and thinks it may be the Ignition Module, but he bought a new patterned one but the car will turn over but not fire with it in. should I just buy a genuine second hand one and get mine repaired? Or has anyone got any other ideas? It literally feels like my car has been starved of fuel then carrys on fine again,

Many Thanks!

Back to the top
Two things to check if the car has lost it's spark with the new module fitted then short the plug out on the distributor if you get a spark by doing this then replace the distributor or if you have a spark and it still won't start check the multi plug on the back of the fuse box they are known to have a poor connection within the plugs hope this helps 

Back to the top

Caddylove said

Thanks guys, I shall try and do what you both have mentioned to do before I try the injectors etc, would you mind if I send you some links to see if they are all the right parts I need to order and if you wouldn't mind sending me the links of the things I cant find please guys just so I don't get the wrong parts? Thanks a lot fellas

Sure chap :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
Im also uncertain on which fuel filters, because on a 91 gti they're not inline are they? Thanks again for the help:)

Back to the top
In your links
1st link - The in tank lift pump is right
2nd link - Could reuse your old one so dont really need that seal unless your old one is in bits or missing, it goes at the top of the filler neck by the filler cap. (never replaced mine)
3rd link - Filler neck for a tin top does not really fit the cabriolet (that why it say need modification) a filler neck for a cabriolet is going to be twice the price at least…

I'll find some links for the other bits tomorrow and a filler neck tomorrow as its getting late and I should really go to bed….
Picture of fuel tank and filler neck

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Some parts..
Filler neck  - No 4 in the picture
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Fuel-Filler-Neck-Golf-Mk1-Cabriolet-84-93-155201129C_act_shop.product_pID_59443539.htm?crumbStartPage=1

Rubber hose to fit from tank to filler neck. - No 20 in the picture
you might need to check its the right lengh. You will need 2 new jubilee clips for the rubber hose. - No 21 in the picture
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/186vg0160

Fuel filter, there is 2 types, thin and fat one if it is like mine (fat style) then you need this one.
You will also need some new washers, 3 in total, 2 are the same size as the sump plug washer and 1 more the same size as the one which comes with the Mann filter (slightly smaller the a sump washer)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANN-FILTER-fuel-filter-AUDI-SEAT-VW-WK-834-1-/390538521727?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5aede8ec7f

Picture of fuel filter (near the car battery)

With the lift pump you might need to replace the hose which connects the pump to the sender, I can't remember what size it is but it's only small just make sure you cut it to the same lengh as the old one or the lift pump will sit to high or low in the fuel tank.

These are the first ones I've found so might be worth checking the web incase you can get the bits cheaper.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Just read this….
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=fuel-systems-and_3%2Ffiller-neck-fitting&start=20

Seems Vw heritage is the wrong one!
This one even more money! I'll keep looking…..

I think you need part number 155201129B not 155201129C as listed.

http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/Items.php?cat=SLAREA&group=FUELFILLING

Back to the top
This really is very helpful guys, so are you saying the link to vwheritage for the filler neck is the wrong one?

Back to the top
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/293vg0130
This looks the same as heritage but no description, and a lot cheaper?

Back to the top
How long do you plan to keep the car ?

If it was me I would get a stainless steel one.

http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/Items.php?cat=ALL&group=FUELFILLERS

Not cheap but will never rot regardless of what you do to it !!

I fitted a tin top one to the wife's cabby a few years ago because no one made a cabby one - it was a right pain in the rear and never did sit right - save yourself the grief and get a cabby one.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

How long do you plan to keep the car ?

If it was me I would get a stainless steel one.

http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/Items.php?cat=ALL&group=FUELFILLERS

Not cheap but will never rot regardless of what you do to it !!

I fitted a tin top one to the wife's cabby a few years ago because no one made a cabby one - it was a right pain in the rear and never did sit right - save yourself the grief and get a cabby one.

I can safely say I have no intentions on selling it, so I agree the stainless one is the much better option, so I shall do that, is my fuel tank stainless? or will that rot eventually?

Back to the top
You will have to ring Rich at CrazyQuiffs as he is showing out of stock at the moment.

The tank is mild steel, they do rust but not as bad as the filler neck. It was a very bad design to put a lightly protected steel tube in the firing line of the road muck that comes off the wheels !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
ah just my luck then! is there anything else from there I can get at the same time mate?

Back to the top
Crazyquiffs will do most of those parts - ring them up and get a quote, remember to ask for your membership discount. He is also a VW parts desk, so he can order the same as a dealer can.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Just a quick update fellas! it turns out after cleaning my distributor out properly the problem hasn't come back (touch wood) thinking about it now it does make sense, as the feeling that the car brakes on its own before it cuts out would be the break of connection with the rotar arm would you say?

Back to the top
Might be worth getting a new rotor arm and dissy cap if they are more than a few years old and you think that might be the problem.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Might be worth getting a new rotor arm and dissy cap if they are more than a few years old and you think that might be the problem.

Im struggling to find it all new, as I want to replace it all

Back to the top
If you want Bosch stuff I can look up the part numbers as I've got my old ones as spares in boxes, I get my Bosch stuff from a Bosch dealer/motor factor, have a look on the internet or yellow pages to see if you have one local to you or check on eBay.
I'll get the numbers tomorrow if needed

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.