Skip navigation

Ok com'on then guys, definitive answer please....Im dying here! :D

Back to the top

Need help lol

I desperately need some things cleared up for me. as I'm about to throw my toys out of the pram lol
ive had the car for nearly 3 years and the only problem ive ever had is the auto choke (by everyones surprise)

its a 83 GX 1.5

my questions are

is the pierburg 2e2 and pierburg 1B3 two different carbs?

if they are, is one bolted on with 2 bolts and the other 3 bolts? as my 1B3 has got 3 bolts....

i want to do a weber conversion but some people are saying 36 TLP, others   34-ICH, 32/34 DMTL etc.
i know a lot of the time you can put different webers on but my question is, which one would replace my 1B3 and where (which one) can i get a conversion plate from?

the reason im posting this is because I've found and seems that there very popular asked questions asked by the GX guys and every single time theres a topic on something close to my questions, they also stop where the answer is about to happen LOL

if and when someone has the answer how does all the wires and pipe attach to the weber? for example do you just not use the wire? etc

*PALM FACE*

my failburg carb is driving my up the wall!

thanks guys!
:)

Back to the top
1b3 is a different carb to the 2e2 according to the haynes mk2 manual, as i said in your other thread you could fit a later 2e2 manifold worst case then a normal 1.6/1.8 weber would bolt on

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

1b3 is a different carb to the 2e2 according to the haynes mk2 manual, as i said in your other thread you could fit a later 2e2 manifold worst case then a normal 1.6/1.8 weber would bolt on

mk2 manual? i dont want to have to change the manifold it would be a pig! unless thats the only way/easiest way?

Back to the top
yeah in the mk2 golf manual it shows the 1b3 and 2e2 seperate, they look pretty different. its only 6 bolts for the inlet so no big deal :)

why are you so desperate to change the carb anyway, weber wont gain you anything unless the original carb is knackered. looking at it they seem simple enough to fix?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yeah in the mk2 golf manual it shows the 1b3 and 2e2 seperate, they look pretty different. its only 6 bolts for the inlet so no big deal :)

why are you so desperate to change the carb anyway, weber wont gain you anything unless the original carb is knackered. looking at it they seem simple enough to fix?

well its the c clamps as well which are pretty hard without the tool i think? my carb is fubard! lol its OK when its warmed up for AGES and i mean that lightly 'ok' lol
its a serious pain to live with considering the rest of the car is in such good shape with only 72K original miles on it  

can you come fix it for me then? lol
i just dont know which of problems is wrong with it! if that makes sense.
 putting the weber on will eradicate this problem as its only the carb :P

Back to the top
dont need to tough the exhaust manifold, I'm talking about the inlet manifold where the carb is bolted ;)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

dont need to tough the exhaust manifold, I'm talking about the inlet manifold where the carb is bolted ;)

oh i see lol
i thought the inlet manifold and the exhaust manifold were one cast iron thing?

Back to the top
nope inlet is alloy, exhaust is iron. there is a steady bracket between them but apart from that they are separate :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

nope inlet is alloy, exhaust is iron. there is a steady bracket between them but apart from that they are separate :)

oh cool! so what do i need to buy to convert? or what ever is cheapest? just want rid of this carb?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

ok still a bit lost tbh :/
i searched for 1.6 manifold and it came up with some with coolant holes on the back and one with out. also the bit where the carb goes, one was a square opening and the other was two studs sticking up for the carb?

so to say the least im a little confused?

plus on top of that there isnt any 1B3 guides there is only 2e2's?

help! lol

Back to the top

rubjonny said

can i use this one?

Back to the top
a later 1.6/8 carb manifold for 2e2 carb is what you need, you can ignore the coolant holes as they can be bypassed once you have a weber fitted.

as i say its a last resort if you cant find an adaptor to suit the inlet you have already. if your carb has 3 bolt holes it may work with a 2e2 kit as thats what the 2e2 has!

no guides for 1b3 as I've never owned one :lol:

Back to the top

rubjonny said

a later 1.6/8 carb manifold for 2e2 carb is what you need, you can ignore the coolant holes as they can be bypassed once you have a weber fitted.

as i say its a last resort if you cant find an adaptor to suit the inlet you have already. if your carb has 3 bolt holes it may work with a 2e2 kit as thats what the 2e2 has!

no guides for 1b3 as I've never owned one :lol:
coolio, what im confused about is this..

is this the manifold im looking for?

Google Sites: Sign-in

as i can see 4 bolt holes on the top of this? very lost lol

but i also found this

http://www.fastroadcars.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=214

but its 2 bolts  too four? SO CONFUSED! loloolo help lololol

Back to the top

Back to the top
the 4 holes are for bolting the rubber flange to the inlet, then the carb is bolted to that.

the ebay link is the 2e2 inlet, you'll need the rubber flange as well as the weber adaptor if you buy that one

Back to the top

rubjonny said

the 4 holes are for bolting the rubber flange to the inlet, then the carb is bolted to that.

the ebay link is the 2e2 inlet, you'll need the rubber flange as well as the weber adaptor if you buy that one

mine is this one

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/brobsGTIvr6/media/047000.png.html

as you can see its directly bolt to the manifold as you know. so i would (going by what you just said)
1.6 manifold and this kit with weber?

thanks again matey

Last edit: by Hegnirst

Back to the top
yeah 1.6/8 manifold, 1.6/8 flange then weber adaptor and 1.6/8 weber carb. 1.6/8 parts are the same except the weber is jetted differently, if you check my sig theres a couple documents for fitment, setup plus the jettings

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yeah 1.6/8 manifold, 1.6/8 flange then weber adaptor and 1.6/8 weber carb. 1.6/8 parts are the same except the weber is jetted differently, if you check my sig theres a couple documents for fitment, setup plus the jettings

sorry to be a pain bud, could you link me to the parts i would need because my carb has just blown its nut, its a gonna! :D

Back to the top
ebay or wanteds for the manifold, flange try to buy new genuine as pattern are a bit rubbish. then for carb again ebay/wanteds or try webcon.co.uk

Back to the top

rubjonny said

ebay or wanteds for the manifold, flange try to buy new genuine as pattern are a bit rubbish. then for carb again ebay/wanteds or try webcon.co.uk

as far as ive found there are two manifolds from the 1.6/1.8 and i dont know which part the flange is dude, never tinkered with mk1's before! :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.