Skip navigation

What made you Buy a MK1.?

Back to the top
^^true  :lol:
my uncle had a gti when i was 13
4 years later i had a 1.1 mk1 golf didnt fit in with the saxo boys
ive owned 4 since and still got 2 love them :)

Bobby

Back to the top
My MGA 1622 is great but you get a soaking even with the hood up , the Cabby just stays DRY and is good to drive, not modern and feels like a car not a  Three piece suite !!

Back to the top
Was walking somewhere when I was about 13 and saw a Gti Cabby outside the local paintshop.

It was tangerine orange with a white mohair hood and big bumpers. At the time, the most beautiful car I had ever seen bar none.

From then I knew I had to have a Mk1 Golf as my first car and luckily, bought one just before passing my test!

I have to say, to this day, Mk1 Golfs are the best looking cars… Timeless

Back to the top
This is my first mk1, saw it parked behind a service garage. About 6 weeks ago decided to go in and ask if it was for sale? It was owned by one of the mechanics, he had bought it about 3 years ago and started to work on it but has never finished, he was happy to sell it to me, i will try and finish the work and start using it.

Back to the top
Had a modified ford focus st,,,,, with car payments, depreciation, insurance, tax and fuel costs it was costing in real terms well over 500 a month.

just stupid for someone that drives <4000 miles a year.

sold it. bought a mk1 on ebay

55k 1.3 driver for a grand.

don't miss 300hp and enjoy driving the golf. get more looks in it than the ford.

i notice its all ages that look and point at the golf.

i have had someone follow me home wanting to buy and folk in supermarket car parks asking if its for sale.

i pressed the little red button

Back to the top

zorg said

Had a modified ford focus st,,,,, with car payments, depreciation, insurance, tax and fuel costs it was costing in real terms well over 500 a month.

just stupid for someone that drives <4000 miles a year.

sold it. bought a mk1 on ebay

55k 1.3 driver for a grand.

don't miss 300hp and enjoy driving the golf. get more looks in it than the ford.

i notice its all ages that look and point at the golf.

i have had someone follow me home wanting to buy and folk in supermarket car parks asking if its for sale.

People approaching you or leaving a note in your windscreen to buy your mk 1 is standard operating procedure but being followed home! Haha that's a bit creepy… Keep your doors and windows locked!

Back to the top

satans_creation said

I was fed up of welding up beetles
Agreed!
And I got fed up with dreadful heaters!
My aunty had one after another when I lived in west Germany. Liked them ever since. 

1992 Sportline Cabriolet in Red

Back to the top
I fancied reliving the 80's (being 51) they were so much more interesting times than today for me. So it was time to pick up another MK1, i have had my 83 Mars Red GTI now for a couple of years, and apart from my MK2 GTI i had back around 1985 its the most fun car i have had to drive. The car was solid when i got it but i have slowly tidied a few bits up, and like others here it is the only car i have ever had where people have followed me to ask if the car is for sale. So far i have managed to say no, long may that last.
Andy

Back to the top
My first Mk1 was GTI which I bought from the Auction no one was biding on it. I sold a few years later just as the insurance companies hike up the prices due to the Hot hatch back Er to the Neighbour then his son rolled it on a roundabout.   I got another one back in 2005 and sold it later and regretted it, so back in 2011 I bought a another which I'm returning to standard.

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
Bought mine for £400 14 years ago had loads of different ones since but for me it's the fun of driving it and the face it still surprises people :) there's lots of things really the looks and definate the smiles it puts on peoples faces :)

Banner

Back to the top
The reason I bought mine was simply because a MK1 Golf makes me feel good! Love the lines and its great to drive an old classic car that is loved and cared for. Also I want to be a little different to most people! I have a convertible which I love but hope to get a tin top GTI one day as well.

Back to the top
Fancied something quicker than my 1.3 Jetta, found it on eBay with 2hrs to go :lol:

Always wanted one, now I have one!

Back to the top
Bought mine because I owned a 79 gti 1.6 4 speed 24 years ago and got the bug, since then owned 2 other mk1's a mk2 gti a mk3 16v, mk3 vr6, audi a3 s line, mk3 scirroco, now the kids are all growed up and and got their own gti's (Mk2 and mk4) and the house is done up I got more time on my hands and the itch for a project just naturally led me back to a mk1, so a few thousand lighter in the pocket and some late nights in the garage here I am the proud owner of a mint one and loving every minute of driving it :thumbs:

Back to the top
bought mine because the 78 Scirroco i was driving had a slipping clutch and valve stem oil seal probs. My shortlist  in March 83 was an XR3i, Alfa Sud tii or a GTI. The golf was the fastest so that's what I bought. The Golf is still around being rebuilt but I would have swept up the Alfa Sud and put it in the bin years ago and probably the same with the Ford. 

Back to the top

Mailman said

bought mine because the 78 Scirroco i was driving had a slipping clutch and valve stem oil seal probs. My shortlist  in March 83 was an XR3i, Alfa Sud tii or a GTI. The golf was the fastest so that's what I bought. The Golf is still around being rebuilt but I would have swept up the Alfa Sud and put it in the bin years ago and probably the same with the Ford. 

You've owned it since new? Nice one!  :thumbs:

You're right about the Alfa - shame though, nice car

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
yeah had the GTI since new, I collected it on 10th May 1983 from Windrush in Slough which hadn't been open very long and it is probably the oldest existing car that they supplied. I nearly sold it in 1992 as I needed kid transport but instead put it in my dad's garage and left it there.
There are some other one owner cars about like a couple with a black GTI-an 82 car I think- that go to VW North West at Tatton most years.
Perhaps we should start a thread on who has owned their Mk1 longest as I'm sure there are people out there who can beat my 30 years  and 7 months.

Back to the top
That's fantastic, I bet you're glad you kept it! Would be nice to see some pics, esp. if you have any of it 'back in the day!'

It's DaveM and his wife that own the Black GTI, he bought it in Germany at the time, it's a cracking car and they're a lovely couple - they really love the car and who can blame them ;)

There must be quite a few long termers out there - I guess Jerry's (campaignjerry) ownership must be up to 20-21 years now. Mine's 'just' 10 years in a couple of weeks time

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.