Skip navigation

MK1 16v GTI Caddy

Back to the top

Back to the top
A small update for this week, the caddy is in the workshop, on its revolving stands. I have removed the front and rear axle, so i can get on with protecting the underside, as you can see its only been primed so far, apart from the engine bay and wheel arches that have been paint Lambo orange of all colours; unfortunately this wont be stopping at I have other colours in mind.

The fuel inlet has been moved the inside the bed, to conceal it and give a much tidier look as well as the inner side panels of the bed, which have been sheeted across the top, which I think looks far less commercial and overallmuch nicer.

Also got a good look at some of the front assembly, A pair of FK coilovers, and some BBS RS Alloys which I Believe to be genuine (Fingers Crossed) The seem to have the correct markings I:.

Back to the top
The shell looks in great shape, will look fantastic when finished  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

The shell looks in great shape, will look fantastic when finished  :thumbs:

Matt

Thanks Matt,
The shell was the main reason for me buying it, im far more interested in the mechanicals than the body work side of things.

Back to the top
Another update, not a massive change as i have been working on my daily for the last few weeks. but finially got the paint booth cleaned up the shell cleaned and got to with the body schultz, a little more work to do but certainly an improvement and hopefully long lasting protection.

Back to the top
That floor pan looks great  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks, its cleaned her up a treat and I surprised myself at how well it came out.

Back to the top
Body work is now in full swing, ive spend a good few hours so far  rust repair, priming sanding flatting etc, and tonight my mate came across to lay the colour down.
Hopefully it should be fully painted in the next few weeks.

I have gone for a porsche 911 colour off the 2009 range: Sport classic grey.

All feed back good and bad welcome.

Back to the top
I can see this caddy is going to be a show stopper if all these colours come together, have you looked as far forwards as seats? A front bench seat would look 1st class in my opinion…

I will keep a close eye on this build thread good luck!

Back to the top

Austin Line said

I can see this caddy is going to be a show stopper if all these colours come together, have you looked as far forwards as seats? A front bench seat would look 1st class in my opinion…

I will keep a close eye on this build thread good luck!

Ive not really considered seats yet, not really a fan of bench i would prefer bucket seats but we will have to see how far the budget will strech

Back to the top

MK1 Rogers91 said

Body work is now in full swing, ive spend a good few hours so far  rust repair, priming sanding flatting etc, and tonight my mate came across to lay the colour down.
Hopefully it should be fully painted in the next few weeks.

I have gone for a porsche 911 colour off the 2009 range: Sport classic grey.

All feed back good and bad welcome.

Can I ask how you knew where to put the engine mount on the left hand side as you look into the engine bay, or is it obvious when engine is some where near ……
Any info would be much appriciated
Cheers

Back to the top
The engine mount was in place i guess its the standard position for them.
I am under the impression that my mk2 gti block will fit into the existing place with some new unrated mounts.

Back to the top
Caddy looks sweet mate, good shell ya got there, just taken ownership of one myself actually so I'll be watching yer progress for tips, mines a good shell rust wise but I'm gonna need a cement mixer for the filler needed for all the dents :lol:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Recently I have had chance to put some time in on the caddy, a few pictures of the upgrades and work done.
Firstly I got my own spot in the workshop:

Also most of the body work is complete, finishing paint on Tuesday, just the rear quarters now to finish:

The front struts and hub assembly is now fitted in place:

I have dug out some big 310mm brake discs and calipers, which is where the problems began. As you can see from the pics below I discovered my hub is not from a MK1, so I would
appreciate any help with discovering what they are from? Also the disc I have appear to fit however the fixing screw the holds the disc in place does not have anywhere to screw into on the hub, would this be of major concern, I am debating just tap and dieing myself a fixing hole.

Back to the top

hubbadubba said

Caddy looks sweet mate, good shell ya got there, just taken ownership of one myself actually so I'll be watching yer progress for tips, mines a good shell rust wise but I'm gonna need a cement mixer for the filler needed for all the dents :lol:  :thumbs:

Yeah the shell was the whole reason for buying it really, I can sympathyse with you about dent repair, I detest bodywork and fixing the dent damage in my first caddy really made me push for the one I have now.

Back to the top
A few shiny bits n bobs to make her stand out a bit.

Got my manifold back from the powder coater. And fitted some sound deadening to the floor pan.

As well as this, im not quite sure how best to fit it yet but i think it should look good once i figure it out.

Back to the top
Well I have been away for a long time, finally I now have time to dedicate back to the caddy.

I have expanded the VW fleet though in the mean time, I got my girl friend a set of wheels to call her own, a bit of paint work, some hours cleaning, some BBS rims and shes ready for the road.
That makes it three VW's now then, I think there may well be a pattern appearing here.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.