Skip navigation

Buddy MK1

Back to the top

1983 Pirelli Edition

smudger said

How much for a dipstick and tube.  O_o  O_o  O_o  :o  :o  :o

Its a lot mate, but the orange plastic ones are rubbish, I've broken a couple and they get dirty very quickly because the plastic seems very porous and brittle. Also if you are going for the aesthetics in your bay its a must I think.. Really lets it down having an orange eyesore poking out. I dyed mine black, but under bright light its a very dark brown now. Looks okay though. The only other option is Gruvenparts here:
Billet 1.8T Dipstick and Tube Combo - Gruven Parts

No idea on price though, will be in the $100-150 region I would imagine.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top

AaronGTI said

Awesome project buddy, can you run the 1.8 non turbo cam cover ok with out any issues? Looks super clean and better then the 1.8T!  :thumbs:

Thanks guys. Yes you can run the non turbo cover without any issues. It certainly looks a lot cleaner than the standard 1.8T one.

Back to the top

Joe90k said

smudger said

How much for a dipstick and tube.  O_o  O_o  O_o  :o  :o  :o

Its a lot mate, but the orange plastic ones are rubbish, I've broken a couple and they get dirty very quickly because the plastic seems very porous and brittle. Also if you are going for the aesthetics in your bay its a must I think.. Really lets it down having an orange eyesore poking out. I dyed mine black, but under bright light its a very dark brown now. Looks okay though. The only other option is Gruvenparts here:
Billet 1.8T Dipstick and Tube Combo - Gruven Parts

No idea on price though, will be in the $100-150 region I would imagine.

They do look really nice but they're on back order will February :O

Back to the top

Mk1_rich said

AaronGTI said

Awesome project buddy, can you run the 1.8 non turbo cam cover ok with out any issues? Looks super clean and better then the 1.8T!  :thumbs:

Thanks guys. Yes you can run the non turbo cover without any issues. It certainly looks a lot cleaner than the standard 1.8T one.

What coilpack are you using then? How do you work around the 1.8t one which bolt down to the cam cover?

Back to the top

AaronGTI said

Mk1_rich said

AaronGTI said

What coilpack are you using then? How do you work around the 1.8t one which bolt down to the cam cover?

I'm using the stock coil packs. You need to cut a groove in each hole so that the coil pack doesn't rotate. I believe it's only the AGU engine that used bolt down coil packs. AUM and AUQ use push in, and quite possibly the BAM, APY etc

Back to the top
Few more updates:

Picked up some master cylinders from Rally Design and got them mounted to the pedal box. I'm changing gearboxes to an 02J box so will need to address the hydraulic clutch.

11836059766_9a4c384889_c.jpg

Iv also got the mk1 booked in for paint so set about getting all the windows out and taking the remaining trim off. Will hopefully be dropping it off at the end of this week.

11835691074_a1dac1c5ca_c.jpg

getting the rears out was quite fun. A mate and I found this was the best method:

11836060696_9aa153cd0c_c.jpg

Back to the top
Spent the weekend finishing a few more bits on the mk1 before it goes off to be painted. I made up some brackets to hole the intercooler in place and tacked them onto the front panel. I then used some bolts on the underside to act as adjustable feet so I can get it in nice and snug.

I also started to mock up pip routes. I ordered in some ally bends and hoses and set about getting thinks mocked up in place.

After a bit of trimming. Im going to get the four sections welded up so there will only be the 90* reducer onto the turbo, and a connector onto the intercooler.

I also managed to flip one end of the radiator so the filler neck sits on the gearbox side. This looks much neater and will make the hose routed much easier today.

The engine should be back out tonight then its off for paint. 

Back to the top
It's really coming together mate. Good progress :)

'82 c formel e - 1.8t 20v 

Back to the top
Bay's looking good, gonna be sweet when finished  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
I managed to get the mk1 over to the bodyshop today thanks to a man with a trailer. 

11977498855_4f5d2d1184_c.jpg

11977796973_dafb378019_c.jpg

Its was only when I pulled it out the way that I realized just how many parts I have to put back on   :wacko:

11978333096_06416bea8f_c.jpg

After dropping the car off I split the RSs back down so I can get them machined to fine tune the fitment. Feels like im back tracking a lot here.

11977499465_448228b7f1_c.jpg

11978333396_d7b035ea65_c.jpg

11978333226_972a00f5a3_c.jpg

Back to the top
Thats a great shot of the car in the booth, a monumental moment, when you get her back in new paint she'll look amazing  :thumbs:

Amazing how many parts you need to build a little golf  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top
Few updated from the bodyshop:

12068717136_e4c6dff434_c.jpg

12068717386_6849a42a05_c.jpg

12068495114_9d647c0cc0_c.jpg

12068382193_b60276563c_c.jpg

12068382163_86e8d20963_c.jpg

While the car is away im getting a couple of other parts ready and painting those myself:

12068087755_31b03d3ab6_c.jpg

Back to the top
nice progress mate,

what paint did you use on the engine??

Back to the top
nice work Rich, may have to break out some wrinkle myself actually ;)

Back to the top
Re test fitted the RSs having had them machined

12082845623_f18a1b1031_c.jpg

Back to the top
:wub:

Back to the top
Awesome looking  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Back to the top
Great photo, looks mean!!

Back to the top
Damn you and your wheels

Back to the top
Few more updates from the painters. When I got the car the passenger door had a nasty rust bubble on it. Ross stripped the paint back to reveal a rather nasty hole so set about cutting it out and welding in a nice patch:

He has also managed to straighten out the bonnet and tidy up the bay a little.

As you can see in the background I have also made a false floor to cover the rear. I made it in two sections so I can still carry a spare wheels and get it in and out without too much trouble. The floor will be covered in the same material used on the backs of the seats.

I also managed to pick up a few more parts ready for the rebuild

Dash inserts

A nice AN fitting to go on the inlet mani

And a nice big box of service parts

with not much in it lol

And finally some nice clean Hella lights

Last edit: by Mk1_rich

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.