Skip navigation

2E Carb?

Back to the top
Hello,

ive had my mk1 1.8 clipper about 10 months, when i got it it had been sitting in a garage for a few years so expected some work. Ive alwas had trouble with it cutting out on my, first i though it was electrical so i have replaced

rotor arm
dizzy cap
leads
ignition coil

while these seemed to make the problem better for a while it didnt go away completely.

i was then told it was fueling problem, i noticed the filler pipe was rusted through to replaced:-

fuel filler pipe
cleaned tank
replaced inline fuel filter (a few times, now stays clean)
fuel pump

I have also changed air filter, oil, oil filter, cam belt add pully seals as one went pop.

The car dirves better than ever.. when it wants to.. i will still be driving along and get a judder and it will die, if i wait 30 seconds it will start again and may do another 5 miles, or 5
yards. Its now getting dangerous breaking down in places where i cant pull over so i cant use the car and really a, stuck.

Ive been told it sounds like the 2E carb i splaying up.. i went to clean it and noticed the choke plate moves parts to the right (green arrow) but they dont seem to do anything.. like there should be a spring there or something, can anyone advise? or if anyone has one take a photo where the green arrow is looking for me?

i have seen a few 2E carbs on ebay from fords and other cars but not sure if they will fit? i take it i need one from a 1.8 engine and a lot dont say what engine thier from. I cant afford a weber at this stage.

Back to the top
could be carb icing, make sure you have the factory airbox andf the warm air pipe to the shroud on the exhaust manifiold is fitted. next check the vacuum pipes tothe warm air valve on the side of the airbox are all fitted, the one round the back can fall off. finally start the engine and look at the warm air flap to make sure it is actually opening

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thank you for the reply, the warm air feed and vacuum pipes are both fitted. I will start the car and check the flap is opening.
There is defiantly somehting not rite with the carb throttle plate if any 2e carb owners can help.

Iv managed to get a new carb which ill be fitting but im unsure of the engine size its for so will be swapping over the jetsafter  a good clean. Any other advice on this would be great

Back to the top
i dont have a good pic but what it is inside the choke housing there should be a spring which controls the choke flap, as the choke warms up the spring pulls the flap open. usually by now they are snapped, but take yours off and you'll see (you wont loose coolant or fuel, just be carefull not to damage the hoses)

then when you refit note there is a notch in the choke housign that lines up with a notch on the carb to ensure proper alignment, plus make sure the choke actuator in the housing is hooked over the choke flap lever correctly.

once you remove it you'll see exactly what I mean its all self explanation :)

Back to the top
Is the spring your speaking about whete the green arrow is pointing on my picture? Once i have the new carb i should be able to see the difference and see the problem, thanks for your help. 

Back to the top
you wont see it unless you remove the autochoke unit, its on the inside.

Back to the top
That explains it! Well yeah it must have broken as the plate is free to open as and when which is causing some issues! Although im not sure its causing my cutting out as it cant close completely when the throttle is down. I will investigate!  

Back to the top
alrighty either the spring has snapped or someone took it off but didnt fit the choke lever into the autochoke hole properly

Back to the top
Iv got my new carb and there is a spring on the outside of this one :-/ 

Anyway before i can fit it i need to make sure it has the correct jets, any idea what size they should be on my 1.8?

And if they are wrong how i take them out to swap them from the old  one?

Back to the top
if you mean on the outside of the choke unit it shouldn't have, pics?

to change the jets you have to split the carb, etka has some numbers but not sure what they refer to:

1.6 - 1st stage 110, 2nd stage 127.5
1.8 - 1st stage 105, 2nd stage 120

Back to the top
thanks for the numbers i think they were ok. yes on the out side, ill have to take a pic..

basicly i got the new 2E carb and its different!  :dry:  so couldnt use the hole thing, i split them both and used the top but the vacuum hose that goes from the top of the carb at the back to the air box is now gone.. and like i say there is a different mech on the auto choke, it runs but my throttle cable pedal grommet broke so now waiting for another one to try and test it. this carb also doesnt even have a hole for the airbox clip! ur the only person from several forums who has helped at all, seems people say get a webber because no one knows anything abou them, really am getting fed up of it.

Back to the top
hmm, is it definitely a 2e2 and not a 2e3...

Back to the top
Both just say 2E.

I thought 2E2 or 3 would be different. 

Back to the top
it is quite different but they do share some parts, it maybe you got an uber rare one for use with cat?

Back to the top
Several people seem to have 2E when searching online but just no info on them, its the correct one for the car. 

Would you suggest the weber rout if this fails? I didnt really want to and cant afford it atm but this seems hopeless. 

Back to the top
i meant the new carb ;)

the one in your pic is deffo a 2e2

Back to the top
Oh i see, well it would explain the slight differences but were they not stamped? It clearly says 2E on it  :'(

Back to the top
yeah they all have 2e on unfortunately, its up to you to look at them to see if its a 2e2, 2e3 or some cat variant or whatever :lol: auto ones slightly different as well on the linkages

Back to the top
That explains my problem then!  :thumbs:  Ill just clean up the old one and put it back on for now.. Then im not to sure. Thanks for helping me out.

Back to the top
get some pics up anyway :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.