Skip navigation

VW Heritage's Mk1 Jetta Coupe project.

Back to the top

Beige, lots of beige.

Our funny looking 20v stripped and ready for a good clean up.

Mount fitted

6 speed box and engine block painted black and test fitted. Small block engine mount drilled off and tacked into place in the correct position.

Back to the top
Some may have noticed the change of direction in this project, for those that haven't……..

The turbo on our pd130 is dead so we've replaced it with an ibiza pd160 unit.

Back to the top
Looking good!

Back to the top
Diseasal?!  :o

White 1989 Golf GTi Cabriolet - sold!

Back to the top

captainash said

Diseasal?!  :o

Oh yeah….

Back to the top
My current jetta project is going pd too, but using a 5 speed 02j not the 02m, didn't want the agro of working out my speedo issues! Should make a lush motorway cruiser with the 02m!!

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
Right, a cheeky pre x-mas update.

Loom removed from the the donor Ibiza and all its insulation removed,

Jetta039.jpg

Many hours removing all the unnecessary wiring from the loom for things we wont need....

Jetta040.jpg

I've extended the engine loom by over 1 metre allowing us to hide the wiring through the crossmember, along the top of the inner wing and into the car. I plan to run the mk1 ancillary wiring on the other side to free up some space and keep it looking tidy.

Jetta052.jpg

Jetta054.jpg

Jetta055.jpg

Jetta058.jpg

Wiring exiting the crossmember

Jetta049.jpg

Now greeted with this sight inside the car. once you remove all the unnecessary wiring you're not actually left with much to connect. Pretty simple really, no more complicated than an me7 1.8t conversion. The coiled up loom is for the dbw pedal and the other wires are all that's left to integrate in to the jetta. 

Jetta064.jpg

Engine had to be removed to drill the hole for the loom, used this excuse to reinforce the engine mount as it's going to have heavy, torquey diesel hanging off it. 

Jetta050.jpg

Compressor housing needed to be clocked to make the boost run look neater, the more we can hide the better. 

Jetta044.jpg

Jetta042.jpg

Back to the top
When I trial fitted my engine I noticed how close the turbo outlet was to the chassis leg, was wondering what I was going to do with it, didn't think to just turn the compressor
Housing round!! Easy fix!! Keep the updates coming guys, mine will be full steam ahead in the new year after having the bay painted.

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
Can't wait to see this beige bomber finished!  Please keep the beige.

Back to the top
Excellent work with the wiring.

:)

Back to the top
So, it's been raining… inside the workshop! In fact, the water was coming off the road and down the ramp into our unit.

New Year didnt get off to the best start with Benjamin getting a call from the alarm company on New Years day.. turns out 2ft of water had set the motion sensors off!

These are the pics after the back door was opened and some of the water had gone down.

As you can see, its a small set back!

Fortunately the TDI and box were up on the crane - the boot of the Jetta did get a little damp though.

Davids 28k Golf kept the water out, which was really lucky… could do with out soggy carpets in that to sort too!

We have spent some time having a clear up now, and hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly.

Andy

Back to the top
This looks interesting, bit different to the norm doing a PD conversion, although more and more seem to be jumping on the band wagon…

Still cool though!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Oh that sucks Andy!  :o
Mind you I hope the pump you used did as well!  :thumbs:

No serious damage I hope.  :)

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Oh no that's bad news, hope you can get cleaned up quickly and without too much permanent damage ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Sorry to see this mate. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Smudger

Back to the top
That water level is mental   :o  hope it hasn't cause much damage.

Matt

Back to the top
We lost a few bits.. like our cardboard display from the NEC :( and some electrical tools, welder, heater etc which were all on the floor, or low down.

We have dried it out as best we can, and are making progress again.

Will get some more pics up soon.

Andy

Back to the top
Right… Probably about time we updated this a little…..

I have spent a lot of time degreasing, cleaning and painting the components of the engine. It's amazing how much crud gets attached to diesel engine parts!

I have also set about modifying some of the cooling system parts. Since we are not running a heater matrix we can remove some additional pipework, for example I have chopped an outlet off the metal pipe that runs across the front of the engine from the water pump as well as shortening it and blocking it off. The water circuit will still be complete because we will be keeping the o.e oil stabilizer.

Also removed the coolant return from the hard lines on the rocker cover as we will be using a top fill rad so it won't be needed.

Also set about mocking up the charge pipe routing from the turbo, trying to keep it as tight to the engine as possible to give us enough room for the driveshaft. Looks like it is going to work rather well…

I then set about fitting some bits back on to the engine to see how its going to look. Roughly mocked up the intake route trying to keep it as tight to the engine as possible, I located the maf tight to the engine so the wiring will be nice and neat. We will probably run a subtle cone filter to keep it looking neat and tidy.

The engine side of the loom is connected now too.

Hopefully progress will be a little quicker from now as we're talking about a deadline to finish the project.

Back to the top
Lookin' good!

Back to the top
Any updates on the Jetta? Early Edition is rapidly approaching...:ocf_emoticons__eusa_dance:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.