White 5 door 1.8T 20v

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Nice photos, car looks great   :thumbs:

Matt

Thanks Matt ;) shes getting there

'82 c formel e - 1.8t 20v 

Back to the top
Good work car looks awesome remember the car from ebay myself. Hope you are sorted things in life are sent to test you , and that you have been good work.  Regards Martin.

Back to the top

Marts v dub said

Good work car looks awesome remember the car from ebay myself. Hope you are sorted things in life are sent to test you , and that you have been good work.  Regards Martin.

Thanks for the kind words, Martin. That is very true!
Kind regards

Back to the top
She's becoming a little more show worthy:

Back to the top
What's next on the list mate?

Back to the top
looking smart mate :thumbs:

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Thanks Ned  :thumbs:

Next on the list, Smudger is polished manifold, few more blue hoses/pipes, battery cover to tidy it up a bit, possibly a stainless one.
Also got to fit the 02j shifter which I'm going to mount inside the car. Will make gear shifting a lot more pleasurable

Back to the top
Hi,
I want to change the details on the logbook for the new engine, different engine number etc but I've had a look around the engine and cannot see the number anywhere. I'm pretty sure it's rusted away or something - how am I going to go about providing a new engine number for the logbook?

Thanks

Back to the top
You could make one up? How about 123456789?  :lol:

Or you can try to read it from the block, its by the oil cooler on the front of the block afaik. It will be full of rust and cr*p though so a wire brush might be your best bet.

HTH Joe

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Hmm I'm not sure that'd fly very well with the DVLA unfortunately  :lol:

Cheers, got a wirebrush on it but couldn't make it out. Going to try get info from the breakers I brought it from. Cheers

Back to the top
Great looking MK1, you should be chuffed with that  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Great looking MK1, you should be chuffed with that  :cool:

Thank you! I am :cool:  except when the engine and gearbox failed, have to say I'd have much rather spent that money on lots and lots of nice bits but these things happen!

Update: coolant temp gauge is wired up and workinf a treat, rev gauge still puzzling me though

Back to the top
have you got an adapter for the rev counter?

Back to the top

JonP said

have you got an adapter for the rev counter?

Not yet, have contacted qpeng to see if I need one for my loom or if it's able to just be connected up some how

Back to the top
Driving along and basically lose power, bogs and slows down, put my foot on the throttle and it kangaroos. Has done this once or twice before but never to the point where I have had to stop, before it seemed to jump back into life after a few seconds.
Just changed the spark plugs and gapped them correctly and doesn't have a maf so can rule that out.
Dirty fuel filter or possibly fuel pump? I'd hope not as it's a Bosch 044 and is only about a year old.
After it happened I stopped and turned the car off, drove off after a few minutes and seemed okay.
Any advice would be helpful, thank you

Back to the top

mortlock7 said

Driving along and basically lose power, bogs and slows down, put my foot on the throttle and it kangaroos. Has done this once or twice before but never to the point where I have had to stop, before it seemed to jump back into life after a few seconds.
Just changed the spark plugs and gapped them correctly and doesn't have a maf so can rule that out.
Dirty fuel filter or possibly fuel pump? I'd hope not as it's a Bosch 044 and is only about a year old.
After it happened I stopped and turned the car off, drove off after a few minutes and seemed okay.
Any advice would be helpful, thank you

Why doesn't it have a MAF? What management are you running? Whats the engine code? I'm guessing AGU? if so have you checked the coil amplifier? It should have continuity and similar resistance across all four terminals if you have a multimeter this is easy to test. That will rule out misfiring. These fail commonly on the older engines. Worth checking as I had a similar issue with my 1.8T, it feels like lack of fuel but actually its just a bad misfire.

Joe

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
It uses a MAP sensor instead as it is using Qpeng management. Yes, AGU so one of the earlier 1.8t engines.
Thanks Joe, that's very helpful, I will test the coils!

Update:

When I got the 02j gearbox it came with an 02a tower, slightly annoying, but anyway I got an 02j tower courtesy of a member off here and set about fitting it and the 02j shifter.
It's all in and working, gear changes are much nicer now.

The shifter is mounted inside the car now instead of underneath so makes for more room for the exhaust and more comfortable shifting.

Also upgraded the headlight bulbs to Ring Xenon Ultima's - a vast improvement over the standard bulbs

Back to the top
Wow those bulbs look very bright. Looking good mate!

Back to the top
They are very impressive for £12.79. Thanks a lot!

Back to the top
No updates as I'm at Uni at the moment, but coming back next week to do a few bits.
Fitting a new radiator as last time I drove the car the overflow pipe decided to break off when driving along, making a nice mess under my bonnet!
Also have some heat insulation/sound deadening stuff to fit on the firewall as there's no heat protection currently and you can hear every little noise from under the bonnet when driving, and also under the tunnel to reduce exhaust and road noise.

Around the time the new shifter went in I also fitted rear seat belts and made a parcel shelf and carpeted it in the same Suede material as the headlining etc :)

I plan on fabricating a nice stainless expansion tank too, I hate the current one as it looks dirty and is secured with two random pieces of metal. As well as a stainless cover for the battery! Lots of plans :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.