Skip navigation

White 5 door 1.8T 20v

Back to the top
Great news mate. Well done. Hope it all goes in ok :)

Smudger

Back to the top
very nice mk1, shame about the engine but good luck with the new one :thumbs:

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Thanks guys :) hopefully now I've sorted the vacuum leak it should run a lot better and quicker. Going to take the old head off the old engine and gas flow/port it all up and make her nice! Then either sell it to make some money back or fit it to the new engine

'82 c formel e - 1.8t 20v 

Back to the top
Hi, I want to replace the baileys dump valve with a forge recirc valve as have heard dumps are bad for this engine?

Last edit: by mortlock7

Back to the top
7/12/13 - Not much to say other than I came back from uni a few weeks ago for the weekend and managed to get the old engine out. I finish this semester this time next week so when I'm home I'll crack on with the car and get the replacement engine in.

When removing the engine though I found that there is no cat on the car (a qpeng downpipe is fitted) so when it comes to having the car MOT'd again in a few months I am going to have to fit a cat. What do people suggest? Will a weld in universal 200cell cat get it through emissions? And also do I have to fit the cat before or after the lambda sensor? (iirc there was only one 02 sensor, so can't have one upstream and downstream?).

I'm also considering a wideband AFR gauge, so when it comes to welding the boss on for the sensor, I've heard it goes before the cat?

Any help would be great, thanks :)

Last edit: by mortlock7

Back to the top
Any advice on the above^ would be great

Back to the top
I don't think a CAT is needed mate due to age of car. I could be wrong though.

I know mine hasn't got one. :)

Smudger

Back to the top
Quite right, mk1 golfs do not need a cat what ever the age of the engine ( at the present)

Back to the top
Oh that's good news! Thanks for that guys :) that's a hundred pounds I can spend on something else then…. an AEM afr gauge  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Another question for other people with 1.8t's… what have you done about ground clearance? The engine hangs about 3 inches out the bottom of the car and it's so easy to scrape it. What have people done to sort this? Dry sump, mount spacers?
Thanks!

Back to the top
Thought about a shallow sump? That may give you an extra bit of clearance? 

1983 mk1 golf driver, small block 4 speed goodness. 

Back to the top

MattKirk said

Thought about a shallow sump? That may give you an extra bit of clearance?

Oh i didn't know they did one! May look into that then, thank you.

Also what have people done about positioning of the shifter box? Currently it's mounted under the car and the gear stick is pretty low, even for me (long arms) to reach, especially with the huge amount of throw! So what's the best way to go about mounting the box inside? I want to sit it inside and have a custom stainless surround around it, similar to this:

but don't know the best way to go about it.

Back to the top
New engine is in and running but after being driven round the car park the gearbox is making a horrendous noise apparently. I find it odd how it's doing it now after they put the new engine in but never did it before. Even still, I'm trying to source a new gearbox. It currently has an 02a box but my question is, could I not just the 02j box that normally comes on 20v? What would I have to do to make it fit? I'm not sure what shifter I have but it's cable operated and so is the clutch peddle.
I need my car for work so the sooner I get it fixed the better!
Cheers

Back to the top
Got my hands on an 02j box and 02j shifter so that will be going in very shortly. Also got some rear parcel shelf holders and rear seat belts.
Does anybody know what fasteners are required for the parcel shelf holders? And also what size/thread the bolts are that are used to secure rear seatbelts? Is it m10x1.5?
And starting to gather parts to convert to hydraulic clutch!
Thanks!

Back to the top
Since last update the engine is in, gearbox is in and new clutch is in. So… I finally have her back and she's finally running again! :DHad the day off work so been catching up with things I wanted to do to the car, so:

Polished dash vents in

C Pillars carpeted and parcel shelf supports fitted. Seat belts next

Also sorted a boost leak which was caused by an old split pipe.

She's running pretty well now but have some new Bosch Super4's on the way which will hopefully resolve the occasional misfire.

More updates to come soon :)

Thanks

Back to the top
Small details

Back to the top
looking good. i recognise the car from ebay aswell

bare with me, im new to this!

Back to the top
Cheers! Yeah, was on there for a while.

Back to the top
A few pictures I've taken:

Back to the top
Nice photos, car looks great   :thumbs:

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.