Skip navigation

The 'UNOFFICIAL' Road Trip Wörthersee 2015.

Back to the top

'Unsupported', so who's up for it?

I'm also thinking the week before….going to try and incorporate the scottish region trip to the lakes (depending on final dates) then head for the ferry at Newcastle and start euro trip. Looking to stop at Porsche museum in Stuttgart on the way down to Worthersee and in by Wolfsburg on the back before heading for the ferry. Might go in by the Nurburgring too for a looky.

Will get everyone details closer to the time so we can hopefully meet up for a beer  :thumbs:

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
OK not messing around I've booked and this is where you will find me from the 19th of May until the morning of the 24th.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/parkhotel-portschach.en-us.html?aid=303948;label=portschach-am-worthersee-_f8uyviw6_OApfvkWqEB0AS8394708981;sid=39777bee2954e6efb15fd43e38d74077;dcid=2;label=postbooking_confpage

Not for everyone but that's where your find me slumped up against the bar or face down the the sand, whichever one comes first.
That of course depends totally on whether the Wife and dog (Winston, a field spaniel) join me.  :lol:

Private sandy beach by the way, check out the location of this Hotel with Google maps, right on the pointy bit of the Lake.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

golfcabrio said

OK not messing around I've booked and this is where you will find me from the 19th of May until the morning of the 24th.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/parkhotel-portschach.en-us.html?aid=303948;label=portschach-am-worthersee-_f8uyviw6_OApfvkWqEB0AS8394708981;sid=39777bee2954e6efb15fd43e38d74077;dcid=2;label=postbooking_confpage

Not for everyone but that's where your find me slumped up against the bar or face down the the sand, whichever one comes first.
That of course depends totally on whether the Wife and dog (Winston, a field spaniel) join me.  :lol:

Private sandy beach by the way, check out the location of this Hotel with Google maps, right on the pointy bit of the Lake.  :thumbs:

The Park is a good hotel, probably one of the biggest on the lake. Its also convenient for catching the boat accross to Reifnitz..

Back to the top

addicted said

golfcabrio said

The Park is a good hotel, probably one of the biggest on the lake. Its also convenient for catching the boat accross to Reifnitz..

That's what I like about it's location is the boat and it's smack bang in the middle.  :)
Balcony over look the whole Lake as well, can't be bad.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

stretch said

I'm also thinking the week before….going to try and incorporate the scottish region trip to the lakes (depending on final dates) then head for the ferry at Newcastle and start euro trip. Looking to stop at Porsche museum in Stuttgart on the way down to Worthersee and in by Wolfsburg on the back before heading for the ferry. Might go in by the Nurburgring too for a looky.

Will get everyone details closer to the time so we can hopefully meet up for a beer  :thumbs:

I'll drop a Line to another member from your part of the World (Craig) when I find his club name and see if he wants to join in.
Smashing bloke, even rode his Motorbike all the way over with a friend and installed my stereo and alarm system.
They were doing a bit of a tour and stopped off for two days where I live to do it. Blazing heat, +35 degrees and worked his Ar$e off!

There's not many that would do that!
Just found his name and it's 'Craigt'.

Hey Craig, if you read this, are you up for this one?
Should be just up your street mate.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hi Mike

Yeh. I met Craig earlier this year when Scottish region had our May weekend trip up to the isle of Skye. Top bloke.
He mentioned about about popping in and seeing you.
That was spot on getting your audio equipment sorted. I tip my hat.
Would be great if Craig could make it.

You hotel choice looks like a winner. :thumbs:   

Cheers

Gary

April 14, 2005

Back to the top
Just thought I'd post up a link or two with some useful advice on driving through Europe and in particular Austria.
Most people will know this already but there maybe one or two that are toying with the idea for the first time.

Compulsory equipment advice from the AA.
Driving advice and guides to keep you moving | The AA

Austrian Motorway Vignette (tax Sticker)
http://www.austria.info/uk/how-to-get-there/austria-by-road-1134817.html
You should get one of these just as you enter Austria!
Stop at the first fuel station you come across and buy one there or stop in a town or village and go to a 'Traffik' (paper shop/news agent) they sell them.
Pay attention to where you place it on the windscreen, if it's not in one of the designated places the camera's might not register it.
Each time they don't, you'll get hit with a 160 Euro fine, simple as that.  :o

Short term parking.
Many towns and cities have short term parking schemes, so watch out where you park.
Read the signs carefully and if you park in an area marked with blue lines then you are definitely in a short term parking zone.
This link relates to Vienna but it's pretty much the same for the whole of Austria.
http://www.wien.gv.at/english/transportation/parking/parkvoucher.htm
Pay attention to the following:
"YOU CAN NOT use more than one 15 minute parking voucher at the same time, use 15 minute parking vouchers in combination with red, blue, green or yellow parking vouchers or use several parking vouchers adding up to more than the maximum admissible parking duration."

Breakdowns.
In the unlikely event of a Mk1 breaking down.  :lol:
Call either the Automobile Association 'ÖAMTC' by dialing just 120.
The operators do speak English and they will send help but as you're non members you'll have to pay.
Or call the ARBÖ by dialing 123. There not anywhere near as big but….

Emergency Services.
Last but not least the main emergency numbers.
112   General emergency call
122   Fire
133   Police
140   Mountain rescue
144   Medical emergency
Not one number like back home but if there's an accident and you call the police for example and say that in the accident someone has been hurt.
They will dispatch Ambulance, Fire and police. So you don't have to call all three but do tell them, it helps!  :thumbs:

Hope you find some useful information here.  :)

Back to the top

Book a place to stay sooner rather then later if you want to stay on the Lake itself is my very best advice.  :thumbs:

I'll try to find other things happening around this time and will post them up as and when I find them.  :thumbs:

Last edit: by golfcabrio

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Can a moderator please delete these two posts please :)

To save GolfCabrio's blushes…:thumbs:

Last edit: by addicted

Back to the top
Delete

Back to the top

addicted said

Delete

I do now!  :$
Deleted.

An Austrian mate of mine sent me the link and I just had a quick look and I posted it up.
Should have paid more attention to it!  :P

Thanks Mate!  :lol:

Back to the top
Just to wet your appetites.

I mean of course you can sit on the Motorway and puddle along until you hit the lake or you could take the high road and choose from one or two of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_mountains_of_Austria

Worried you might not make it over one of them?
Met a Guy yesterday at a coffee house. Circa 65 and weighing in around 15 stone and he was riding this little guy.

Had chat with the guy because I own a Honda Monkey, 1973 Met Blue with 3,500 Miles on the clock. (bad photo In know)

Taken 10 years ago and that's my Son Daniel on board, he's over 6.1" now at 15! :lol:

Anyhow, that guy road that 1967 'Honda Trail' from Vienna to Großglockner the highest of them all and back (3798m).
If you took the Motorway (which he couldn't) it would be 450km one way and then over the Mountain and back again.

So get your thinking caps on good people and pick one but don't forget to tell us which one or one's your going to do!
Nearer the time I'll PT all those that are coming with my private handy number and will act as a 'Base Camp' contact should someone have a problem or need help in anyway.  :thumbs:  

Back to the top
hi guys, literally just came across this post and it all sounds great.
After my trip to the Algarve in my Mk1 earlier this year, my wife had no hesitation whatsoever in agreeing to take to the alps in 2014, in the Mk1.  thus… I may not be able to cover the Wurthersee trip in May as it'll likely clash with the annual euro bike trip and family holibags.  If I can squeeze it in, I will. I'm reading each post, following every link and I can see that it will be an excellent trip.
A stop over at the Nurburging is good shout too, lap costs have soared in the last ten years, but there's always something to do and see there.
The Hull-Zeebrugge ferry is a little closer to your destination and has always been a favoured route of mine as you're off and rolling by 09:00 the next morning.

As for Mikes audio… we kind of ran out of time on that one, two days, my own tools and a 24hr autoparts shop would have completed the task in a more professional manner. Nearly made it :-)

I'll keep an eye on the thread and may plan to find my way south by south east in late May!

Back to the top

Craigt said

hi guys, literally just came across this post and it all sounds great.
After my trip to the Algarve in my Mk1 earlier this year, my wife had no hesitation whatsoever in agreeing to take to the alps in 2014, in the Mk1.  thus… I may not be able to cover the Wurthersee trip in May as it'll likely clash with the annual euro bike trip and family holibags.  If I can squeeze it in, I will. I'm reading each post, following every link and I can see that it will be an excellent trip.
A stop over at the Nurburging is good shout too, lap costs have soared in the last ten years, but there's always something to do and see there.
The Hull-Zeebrugge ferry is a little closer to your destination and has always been a favoured route of mine as you're off and rolling by 09:00 the next morning.

As for Mikes audio… we kind of ran out of time on that one, two days, my own tools and a 24hr autoparts shop would have completed the task in a more professional manner. Nearly made it :-)

I'll keep an eye on the thread and may plan to find my way south by south east in late May!

Hey Craig, I was wondering when you'd get a sniff of this mate!  :lol:
See if you can't squeeze it in Sir, it'll be a real good crack.  :thumbs:
You know it makes sense!  :thumbs:

As for your work, to think of the miles you did just to get to me (Scotland to Vienna, Austria) and back.
The heat wave that we had (35+ degrees) and the tools you had to work with.
You did an OUTSTANDING job Sir and I'm not just saying that!  :ocf_emoticons__notworthy:
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top

golfcabrio said

addicted said

Delete

Deleted.

An Austrian mate of mine sent me the link and I just had a quick look and I posted it up.

Curiosity killed the cat!! What did i miss!!  :lol:  :lol:

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

golfcabrio said

addicted said

Delete

Deleted.

Curiosity killed the cat!! What did i miss!!  :lol:  :lol:

Oh darn it.
I was hoping no one would ask me that especially you!  :lol:  

Well a mate of mine heard about our trip next year and came across an event that will take place at the same time and sent me the link (that what mates do after all).

I looked at it for all of 5 seconds and posted it up, no problem so far.  :ocf_emoticons__eusa_pray:

Now 'addicted' the observant Guy that he is actually clicked on it clearly read it in more detail than I did.  :thumbs:
Only to discover that the location happened to be in America!  :$

In my defence.
To save my blushes, the timing was right and it was a VW Festival but just on the wrong Continent!  :lol:
I was naive enough to think there can only be one, how wrong I was.  :P

SO know you can mock me!  :ocf_emoticons__withstupid:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I'm interested in going, not 100% certain but hope to be going

Andy,I heard you're gonna debut the mk1 there…For that i'm defo going…..

Back to the top

campaignjerry said

Hairyarse said

I'm interested in going, not 100% certain but hope to be going

Andy,I heard you're gonna debut the mk1 there…For that i'm defo going…..

Good for you, the more the merrier!  :thumbs:
I'll be posting up over the next few weeks a bit more Info on where looks good to stay etc…   :)

Back to the top
I'm half tempted to make my track car road legal and drive that down, if only for the Grossglockner, Malta and Wurzenpass.. :)

Back to the top

addicted said

I'm half tempted to make my track car road legal and drive that down, if only for the Grossglockner, Malta and Wurzenpass.. :)

Dare and double dare ya!  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.