Skip navigation

Boot Build Sticker

Back to the top
Ive searched, but can't find anything on this.

I'm trying to recreate the boot build sticker. The old one has been carefully pealed off before spraying, and is very grubby.

Is there anyone that does these? or, does anyone know what the font is for the left hand side of the sticker? The bit that start with 'SORT. NR, FAHRG. NR etc.

Thanks for your help.

If you want the PSD Boot Sticker file, it's here: Boot Sticker

Back to the top
speak to brown stickers on ebay, they maybe able to do something for you. Also hugh (Shugy) knows how to decode the details on there if you dont

cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
It is just a sticky back prices of paper, if you can scan it in then I can recreate it for you

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for that peeps. I was really careful taking it off, and took a picture of it, and left it at the garage, so I can't scan it at mo :P , However, it's very grubby. I was going to 'photoshop it, the old dot matrix stuff is easy enough to replicate, it's the printed font I'm having trouble with.

I'll have another go with 'photoshop. wanted to get a 'clean' new one to put back in after respray.

How do you go abot recreateing one jb? in word?
I have a lazer printer, I was going to print it off and get it laminated.

Thanks for your input chaps. It's getting a bit toasty here, and I'm getting dilecsic fingures typing!

Back to the top
i have a font find that figures out if its a listed font, if not then it can recreate it if there are enough characters to figure it out

scan it send it over i'll suss it out :)

Banner

Back to the top
Okay, Ta, I'll try and remember to bring it home tomorrow.

Thanks.

Back to the top
I can help to decode it for you to - work out your build date and when it left the factory. There is a post somewhere which has all the option codes broken down.  ;)

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top

Shughy said

I can help to decode it for you to - work out your build date and when it left the factory. There is a post somewhere which has all the option codes broken down.  ;)

Thanks for that, I did de-code it a while ago, but a refresh would be cool. thanks for all your help guys.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Some little toe rag nicked my GTi badges from my 'secure' location. I have an idea who it is. Both grille badges and the boot badge! Messed me up for a couple of days, however, here are the results of the 'Build Sticker'

After trying to locate the font, I came up with a couple of possibles, but they were'nt perfect, so I decided to 'photoshop' the 'photo I took. I'm happy with the results, what do you think:

Before

After:

I purposely did it just as the factory, not in the box at the bottom, and using the same techniques with the old style 'dot matrix printer' letters and numbers on the right.

If any one wants the 'PSD' file to play around with, make a template for theirs etc, PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

Actually, after looking at it on here, I can see a couple of faults, however, when printed off, it looks better!

Got to radius the edges yet.

Back to the top
Superb work. Can I have a copy p.bacon@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks in advance Paul

Sticker Pig

Back to the top
I'd a stab at this a few years ago (2009) and after much searching I've finally found the old images buried deep in the PC…

I did mine from scratch so the font and spacing aren't going to be an exact match. Having said that it's only fractions out and unless your holding the old sticker beside the new (While reading it upside-down in the boot) they're indistinguishable.

This is the font (Dot Matrix) I used for the vehicle specifics - http://eknp.com/fonts/dotfonts1.php but the download's now gone. A quick Google brought up tons more similar freebies.

This is a blank of the sticker background onto which was added the dot matix detail… You might be able to use / refine it.

And here's one of the final draughts. The Sticker font has been darkened / bulked up and the dot-matrix lightened as per the original…

(I'd be a bit careful uploading all your vehicle details on an open forum, there may be piccies of your car on other threads showing it's registration etc… potentially open to abuse)

As an aside… posted this link elsewhere recently but you may not have seen it. It lets you work out the exact date of manufacture (as opposed to it's later registration) of your car.

Can't vouch for its accuracy but using the info given it dated mine to the day before that on the paint inspection sticker so seems to be good.

http://home.clara.net/hallvw/dating.htm

Using yours as an example…

'E' is the year (1983 in this case)

'23 - 4' are the week of the year and day of the week in that order.

Days of the week are calculated from Monday to Sunday therefore Monday is '1', Tuesday '2' and so on. Yours is '4' which is Thursday.

The weeks themselves are calculated from the 1st January regardless of what day of the week this falls on.

In 1983, the 1st January was a Saturday, but that doesn't matter. It's the week, in your case Monday 27th December - Sunday 2nd January that counts. (Remember the same week will be '52' for 1982 cars.)

Count forward though the year starting from 1, so the week Monday 27th December - Sunday 2nd January is week 1 not 'Zero'.

Your car was therefore manufactured on Thursday 2nd June 1983.

The same info can be obtained else where… For example here's the manufacturing plate from mine, sited behind the grille.

Back to the top
Would anyone be able to make me one of these if I provided my information so I could print it ?

The sticker is present in my boot but has at sometime been painted over  :P

Thanks in advance

Sticker Pig

Back to the top

Bacardincoke said

I'd a stab at this a few years ago (2009) and after much searching I've finally found the old images buried deep in the PC…

Thats Superb. I have the VAG font, as most Office programs seem to have it as standard.

I've put the Photshop file on Google drive now, so if any one wants it, it's here:  Boot Sticker.

I have added some radiusing on the edges, as a cutting guide, but I've just noticed there abit out, so I'm going to edit it it in a mo.

The dot matrix font is 'perfect' and looks very good, however, I was after trying to replicate the standard of the original, and if you look very carefully, the dot matrising on the original sticker is all over the place! it just gives an 'idea' of the original letter or number.

For example:
I'm hoping 'photobucket will load this properly, as I've been having issues with the blurriness on there, but that's another story…

This image is magnified 200%, If you look at the dot's you can actually see slight impressions where the dot matrix printer hit the paper. What I did was to use the paintbrush tool set to 17 pixels (which is about the same dot width) and individually painted a blob on each dot. (some dots are a bit smaller)

Like this:

I reckon by 'copy and pasting' the letters required should give the effect required.

Or, you could take a 'photo or scan and create a new layer, import the scan/photo into that layer, then create another layer in front of that, hide the original and do the 'blobs' on the second layer, then remove the old layer(s) as required.

This is really anal is't it. I love the detail trying to match the original stuff, but it is anal!:lol:See what your saying about security of id of car etc, I did think about that, however, the car is in Spain, and it's lhd, To duplicate the reg number, someone would need to go to great lengths, including copying the log book, to get another set of plates made, whilst it's not impossible, I don't think it would be worth the bother. Although, as the colour is not listed on the log book, I was thinking of having 2 cars on the same reg! Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. you never know who's out there :ninja:like the gits who nicked my badges. (soon to be found attached to the false reef just off Gibraltar)

Nearly forgot. What type of paper was the original? My Laser paper is a bit too modern.

Back to the top

9double9 said

Would anyone be able to make me one of these if I provided my information so I could print it ?

The sticker is present in my boot but has at sometime been painted over  :P

Thanks in advance

Have you got Photoshop? you can download a trial copy at Adobe, then download the file (the link is here at the bottom) and then enter in your own details. Or, copy barcadiandcokes image without info in, above (right click and copy) then download a dot matrix font and click in your own details.

If not, pm me with a list of the details and I'll see what I can do. I'm still on my ' 3 week rebuild of one of the Cabriolets at the mo though and I've just had some goodies from Amazon arrive, so it may take a back seat till I've got a space!

Back to the top
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh634/PGBACON/1ba15a2c-6bbf-4701-83c8-145bfed8a6eb.jpg

Does this mean my car was made was made on Thursday 25th February 1983 or have I misunderstood.

Date of 1st registration is 18/4/1983.

Sticker Pig

Back to the top
To tired to work it out at mo, this is alos a useful tool:

http://www.mk1vw.info/vin.php

Back to the top

9double9 said

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh634/PGBACON/1ba15a2c-6bbf-4701-83c8-145bfed8a6eb.jpg

Does this mean my car was made was made on Thursday 25th February 1983 or have I misunderstood.

Date of 1st registration is 18/4/1983.

I work yours out as Thursday 17th Feb 1983

Back to the top
Cheers! :)

Sticker Pig

Back to the top
Lot of day '4's cropping up here, even the one given as an example on the link I posted… Has to be more than coincidence!

I wonder did VW just sign off cars from the preceding week on Thursdays?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.