Skip navigation

Advice required, to buy or not to buy?

Back to the top
Hi all, still looking around at the moment but found a mk1 '79 which is a runner for a decent price. The problem is its a five door. I'm just seeking advice, would you buy or not as really I wanted a 3 door? What do you guys reckon to this, it's just such a good price, but wondered if I'd be wasting my time doing it up and selling to fund a 3 door might be an option?

Back to the top
All depends if you want MK1 series 1 or 2 with the series 1 very rare however with series two lots around and if your wanting a 3dr just wait for the right one.

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
i jumped the gun two years and purchased a 5 door and regretted it the second i payed for it.
Just hang in there for a 3 door like above its a s1 your after you might have to wait but at least your budget gets bigger  ;)

West moreland caddy & series 1 gti

Back to the top
Ok will have a think but at £300, runner and a sill only needs replacing which I can do myself I figured it'd be worth it?

Back to the top
£300 sounds like a steal :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
That's what I thought so will see how viewing goes Monday.

Back to the top
if it is not the car you want it is not cheap,
act in haste & repent at leisure !
there is a 3 door waiting for you out there!!
be a bit patient  it will be worth it

Back to the top
At £300 though I would have it, do up and make better to flog on and have some more cash for the right 3 door. As long as you're not in any rush that is ;)

Back to the top
For £300 id expect a pile of rust.

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

For £300 id expect a pile of rust.

As would I but there's been a few guys recently posted on here who have got a half decent MK1 for a few hundred quid.  :o

Back to the top
were they 3 door ????

Back to the top
Hi, went to look at it and its in really good nick! Shame it's still a five door but have left it with him to see what the best price he'll take. Otherwise I'll wait for a three door I reckon. Thanks for the advice :)

Back to the top
from past experience with cars this has to be best , good luck with the search, we were not looking for another car and then the mk1 cab said hi to us so we bought it , it sits well with a 1960 MGA and a 1958 A35  and the every day mk5 TDI GT plenty of choice but prefer the older stuff

Back to the top
if you dont take it, did you take any pics, might be worht popping them up as i am sure someone on here might be interested :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Let me know if you aren't buying the '79, I will definitely take it.

Cheers

Adam 07914119351

Back to the top
Ok will upload pics but still waiting for him to come back to me :)

Back to the top
any news or update on this as i will def take it if your not interested, thanks Rich

1.8T CABBY

Back to the top
:lol: The vultures are circling again  ;)

Back to the top
x 2 ill have it as spares

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
also red-or-dead has a nice S2 3 door tintop for sale for a good price

scptt

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner
There are too many online users to list.