Skip navigation

Oil pressure light flashing

Back to the top
they seem alright for parts but no complete engines unfortunately,
i was quoted about £280 from vw for 3 hours of diagnosing what is wrong with my head and changing the head gasket, does this seems like the right thing to do?

'83 1.3 Golf Driver GT - Project thread
Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
I did my first headgasket on a mk1 1.1 following the trusty haynes manual, learnt alot and wasnt as bad as i thought.

you could have a try and see how you get on. i did it on a weekend with the help of my dad.

Ask around for a head to swap, you never know.

Plan B

Put a post up see if anybody on here fancy's giving you a hand in your area, or recommend a local garage with vw background on the older stuff.

:(

Back to the top
yeah im starting to think thats the best option because it will sort out the main current issue and i only really need a new torque wrench and i should be able to do it. Is there anything else ill need other than a new headgasket to replace?

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Timing Belt would be worth doing while its off
 :thumbs:

Back to the top
yeah good point! not looking forward to taking off the exhaust manifold as the bolts are all rusted and looks well seized to me :/

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
I have a German made American spec 1976 MK1 with 1588cc engine.  Here is a link to some experiences I incountered with Dash lights.
http://www.the152.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5053&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 

Back to the top
I did hope it was just a broken sensor like yours but with the smoke, brown in the radiator and loss of coolant ect. I'm sure it is the head gasket :/

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
if you put in the full gt lump with injection yes there would be wiring, but if you dropped it in but kept the old carb/fitted a later 1.3 carb from mk2 golf or polo then it would pretty much drop in.

as i say though need electric fuel pump (simple to wire) if you use the GT cam as it has no lobe to drive the mech pump. if you fitted a 1.3 carby cam from a later lump you would be sorted, slightly less power though

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
ahh right I understand, do you not need the gti fuel tank if your fitting a fuel pump?

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
for carbs a facet pump will do which afaik it will draw fine from the carb tank, the alternative is a post-84 cabrio/scirocco or g40 shape polo lifter pump assembly which will drop straight into the tank and should feed your carby just fine :)

Back to the top
ahh that doesnt sound too bad then, thanks rubjonny  :thumbs:

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Sounds not a bad job, keep looking at doing it myself GT conversion, but i havent drove the driver on the road yet so will see what the GF engine is like first

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
main thing is double check if your old inlet will fit the gt head, im pretty sure it will :)

Back to the top
Will do, I've decided to get the head gasket done and skimmed by a local garage that was recommended to me but the GT conversions will still be in the pipeline for the future  :thumbs:

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
Cool glad its working out Mazzza

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.