Skip navigation

Purchasing a New Daily..... Help Needed

Back to the top

jellybelly said

Yea got 18k max 

Needs to be a hatch back ideally

JB, for that money you can have my 'Daily' pictured left.
It has a Megga 'Hatch' if you peel the roof off.
And I bet you there's not another one in the World with this Spec!

Shame you will not see him at the weekend but I'd part with him for 17K and drop him off at your door.
Simply because you are real good friend of mine!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You and everyone else have a great time at the AGM, I'll be wearing my AGM T-Shirts here to show solidarity with you all.  :thumbs:

Stay safe and don't forget the 'Aspirin'!  O_o

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
well today i have mainly been dealing with car salemens and test drives

allow me to start…

BMW 1 series, on the hole ok really with both the petrol versions and deisels, but thats just it "ok" plus alot of money for not a massive spec, higher spec things are out of my range

vw golf gti, impressed with top end of my budget for a high mileage one, rocco i love but simply cannot afford, on another note, they guys at the vw garage were not helpful really

seat cupra very interesting thing to drive, the dsg box is a right laugh, its just point it in the right direction and pin it and goes like a rocket, not really the build qaulity inside as the vw but this is shown in the price

need to do more thinking  O_o

Banner

Back to the top
What I have found with VW dealerships is that when they are family run they are excellent - the Stafford one is excellent at the moment but was a pig when under the Rycliff banner.

There doesn't seem to be many Roccos in the dealer network but there are loads at the independents in your budget.
345 Used Volkswagen Scirocco Cars for sale at Motors.co.uk

Have you considered an A3 - all well specked and great to drive

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top
I think I did not put my point across very well.
What's an old mk2 oil burner go for these days? You've bought that as your daily. I'd hazard a guess it's no-where near £18k
So all of a sudden you've had a bad run on a car that has disappointed you/didn't quite live up to the dream.
So you've got £18k burning a hole in your pocket and you want to buy a car. You think to yourself that you are sick of driving to work in a rattily less than ideal motor, you can't really afford to use a 911 as a daily and running two cars is also a PITA.

What do ya do? I know get a newish car and drive that with all it's mod cons and reliability!

On paper that is a good decision.

Here's some experience though. Every semi-reasonable car I've had for a daily has skinned me (the last one suffered a bent conrod/swirl flap issue that wrote the engine off over £2k's worth of problem or sell at a massive loss I ended up with the second). I had a 6 month old last of the mk3 astras that had massive issues that I couldn't get the dealer to take any responsibility for so sold that on for a drastic loss.

Every banger except one I had cost me the £400-1000 I spent on buying it and little else. My best was a rover 220 SDI that I did 50k miles in and didn't even change the oil. My mate who gave me back £300 of the £400 I bought it for did another 30k miles in it. Then he sold it for £300 and that dude only stopped driving it the second time he crashed it into a wall!!

I've had various dream cars, some have been very expensive mistakes (bought the wrong 600bhp car and let the wrong man tune it). I only ever sold them to fund a "decent family car" which each one cost me more than the dream cars ever did.

So I've learnt a couple of things.
You want a nice car don't drive it daily if you do lots of miles
Don't expect to continually buy low impact cars that are newish and not end up with an utter nightmare of a car at some point that will really hammer you. Any car that is out of warranty has the ability to develop an issue that has to be fixed up to 3/4 of its value and on £18k that is up to £13.5k bear that fact in mind!!!

Onto another issue raised earlier… If no-one bought new cars there would be none… I would say this… No new cars coming on the market would in a way be a good thing! Companies and the rental market will always buy new cars and sell them on as nearly new so a certain supply will be available. Imagine if you will that less and less cars were available to buy second hand. What would that do to the value of your current car? It would obviously increase it as supply/demand would start to reverse on what it is now. If second hand cars were worth more our repair and maintenance industry would improve (now remember that we no longer make cars in this country but we do maintain and repair cars here). Older cars would start to become worthy. Now remember that we all already own old cars!!

Back to the top
To add to what I was saying above take a moment to review this advert http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?291007-TRD3000gt-single-6-speed-Aerotop

Then browse ebay for a £500 sh*tt&r and bob is your aunty £18k spent in a way that will properly bend your lips upwards and expose all of your teeth!!!

Back to the top
I'm going to have a thick over the weekend ade :)

A3 are nice and did take a look at some today whist on my rounds

Didn't find one as spec with as many bhp as the seat 

Banner

Back to the top
Brain I hear what your saying

But I'm not after a silly tuned supra so that way off topic

Yes I would agree that the mk2 has lost me no money and served me well an will continue to do so if I carried on with it

But it hasn't been any cheaper that a modern under warranty who be… Your issues with the mk3 Astra if it was under warranty should have been repaired

You never make money in modern motoring and I'm fully aware of that but neither does retro motoring

Banner

Back to the top
I understand your concerns regarding a previous experience with a car supermarket mate , but on this sort of car only a few years old with no high mileage, surely a full check over and read of the warranty T&C's etc could give you re assurance, especially if waranty is high level and covers alot?

You will be paying much higher premium and dealers vs independants potentially.

It sounds a bit random but what about fully maitained car from the motorbility network if they have some DSG box stuff, or trying to find a source of  1 owner ex lease cars

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
my friend recently bought an Audi A3 TDI black edition, thats really nice, re map and jobs a good en :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

jellybelly said

Brain I hear what your saying

But I'm not after a silly tuned supra so that way off topic

Yes I would agree that the mk2 has lost me no money and served me well an will continue to do so if I carried on with it

But it hasn't been any cheaper that a modern under warranty who be… Your issues with the mk3 Astra if it was under warranty should have been repaired

You never make money in modern motoring and I'm fully aware of that but neither does retro motoring

Absolutely agree. Wide completely of ark. But an eye opener none-the-less on what £18k will buy you.

I presented the example to show you what is out there for that money. I also presented it as an alternative opinion on what you could keep as well as your daily if you chose to spend nowt on that daily.

You are right that the issues with that astra "should" have been dealt with by the dealer but having the damn thing into 4 separate dealers with the same lack of power and dreadful fuel economy resulted in no computer diagnosis which cost me £50 a time to prove nothing. And so we get to the actual value of a warranty. If you can rely on a major manufacturer to do their best to welch on a warranty where do you stand with an aftermarket warranty that is even more woolly?

My advice for what its worth if you are truly after an economical motor that is comfortable enough with a lot of the bells and whistles but costs cheapness id buy a rover 25 /220 sdi and bank £17500 of your money in the unlikely event it costs you a few quid to repair. 50,000 miles ought to get you a few years :)

Back to the top

richyhill said

my friend recently bought an Audi A3 TDI black edition, thats really nice, re map and jobs a good en :-)

That's what I've got as a company car, awesome car and lots of decent standard kit and it looks spot on…

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.