Oh there might be a load of hairyarse builders after you if you take it :lol:

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
So wise me up a tad here! You have a 60mpg mk2 golf that cost you pennies and now you want to change it for an £18k daily new motor? What the mother FFFFFF!!! I've heard of some crazy leaps of car ownership but Neil Armstrong would be proud of that leap!!! £18k will buy you a sh*t load of motor from Porsche to serious Jap speed metal with heritage! I struggle to understand why people would go and buy a new any new or less than 3 year old motor that they may change within 5 years as the losses are just horrendous!

Last edit: by jellybelly

Back to the top
Be a bit of a problem if no one bought new or less than 3 year old cars though !!!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
whats your daily mate?

i've been rattling around in the mk2 for a year now, i've done 9000mile in it, felt every bump, cant hear the radio for all the rattles, frozen through the winter in snow and ice, a right pain in the butt for both driver and passenger…. i'm all for retro motoring but it's blinking hard work what I have saved in deprication it's cost me in repair time, tickering time, spare parts and more expensive insurance and tax

if you buy a 13k 3 year old motor the deprication works out at around £1000 a year if kept over a 3-5 year period, that isn't far from whats been spent this year keepin the mk2 on the road if you include my hours spent repairing it

retro motoring is cool but its a drag at times and you could argue equally expensive as modern motoring

Banner

Back to the top
I have this argument with best mate.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to run a new or nearly new motor and swap around 4-5 years and 50-70K miles.

Running mainstream Ford/Renaults diesel hatches keeps depreciation to just over £1000-1250 a year. Tax is £20 and mpg is 55+. Annual service is £120-£200. Have not bought a battery or exhaust for decades. He thinks this is expensive but never really works out what hes paying…..

He runs old bangers that require new clutches, exhausts, batterys, alternators, etc etc. Regularly fail MOTS for welding and balljoints etc. Tax is £125/250 and economy can be pants. He doesn't need to front up with a large amount to purchase but prob spends more than me on running cars and every other weekend is spent fettling. As he moves to more modern cars that are festooned with electronics they are slowing becoming un-DIYable.

I just spends lots of time and cash on two old Golfs !

Last edit: by Early-1800

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

jellybelly said

Yea got 18k max 

Needs to be a hatch back ideally

What about a Mini Cooper SD?

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
Well tomorrow is the test drive say

Seat in the morning in a ibiza cupra

BMW at lunch in a 1 series 

Vw shortly after in a golf gti and a rocca

I shall report back :)

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

Well tomorrow is the test drive say

Seat in the morning in a ibiza cupra

BMW at lunch in a 1 series 

Vw shortly after in a golf gti and a rocca

I shall report back :)

Sounds like a good line up mate. You'll like the 1 series.

Back to the top
Don't shoot me down but that new kia pro cee'd is a pretty car! 

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
I found the 1 series cramped, very good handling though - ugly to look at in my opinion, the booted version looks the best.

The Cupra should shift along nicely :-)

The shift to independent rear suspension on the Mk5 Golf (and Rocco) transformed the way the cars handle.

I loved my MK5 GTI - just a shame the tax man didn't agree and takes far less for an oil burner.

The Rocco is a good looking car, except for one angle from the rear, where it can sometimes look odd, as though one side is lopsided !!!

JellyBelly heads to the sweet shop - we will expect a full report later :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

funk-star said

Don't shoot me down but that new kia pro cee'd is a pretty car! 

I was going to slap you but Kia are on the rise !!

Looks very much like a Focus

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
That Kia funk looks a lot like a fiesta, a nice looking thing tho

I have 2 worries the dsg gearbox in the seat cupra! 

And

Vw being so expensive for no spec!

Banner

Back to the top
Aye and you would be right to be worried about the DSG

You get a good one and they seem to last - but a lot of people have experienced bad ones - my A3 had to have all the electronics and solenoids replaced under warranty, for an eye watering cost of £5k otherwise.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
5K  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Thank God for the warranty  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Yea I read that early dsg were a problem but since have sorted them out slightly 

This is all seat cupra and bocenagra have dsg as the only gearbox available to have

A lot of gti are dsg and also rocco's

Banner

Back to the top
Don't be fooled by the early DSG reports - they still have a lot of issues today, the A3 was an 08 plate car.

The issue is that VW don't provide individual repair parts so you have to have a whole unit hence the cost.

DSG is a hoot to drive though and excellent it you do a lot of motorway driving, ie stop - start :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
The thing is the dsg is a way that vag goup can offer high performance with low co2 and better mpg

So surely most things will end up going that way, I know manuals will always be there but if its a way for vag to look better in the stats then they will do it

The thing I've read is that dsg change between 09 - 10

Banner

Back to the top

dangerous_brain said

So wise me up a tad here! You have a 60mpg mk2 golf that cost you pennies and now you want to change it for an £18k daily new motor? What the mother FFFFFF!!! I've heard of some crazy leaps of car ownership but Neil Armstrong would be proud of that leap!!! £18k will buy you a sh*t load of motor from Porsche to serious Jap speed metal with heritage! I struggle to understand why people would go and buy a new any new or less than 3 year old motor that they may change within 5 years as the losses are just horrendous!

I disagree, sorry, just my opinion.

I too spend a fair bit of cash on my daily, 10k every 3yrs plus servicing, running cost, repairs etc and wouldnt think of buying a Porsche or quick Jap thing.

Its a work horse, a means of reliably getting to work to earn a crust.

I've 'lived my dream' and drove older cars whatever the weather, great at the time, but lost a whole load of money by doing so.

The good thing about a newish modern daily for me is its starts, stops, and if a light comes on the dash it goes in for repair. I'm not interested in anything else other than keeping it clean & maintained, i'll save my precious time for something older for when the sun comes out that I actually enjoy repairing and maintaining myself.

I'm not overly concerned where I park at the supermarket, or what the kids are having to eat in the rear.

The mk1 Golf or the splitty is another story, its precious metal.

I suppose I'm lucky that I can afford to do this, and for that I am greatful.

Go fill ya belly Jelly, get something new-ish and save the classic car for classic times.  :thumbs:

Mrs Choc Rolls Stock!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.