Skip navigation

Morgie's 81 GTi restoration - Engine bay time!

Back to the top
pretty sure i was parked next/near to this at west side VW .. the yellow looks great in the sun good work :D

Back to the top
Gorgeous mk1, what colour is the yellow? looks great in contrast against the black trim

Back to the top
Thanks again for the comments :).

I've had a blast driving it these past 6 months when the weather has permitted :cool:.

However a few weeks ago the downpipe split, leaving the end of it jammed in the new part of the exhaust… doh!

I embarrassingly nursed it home VERY LOUDLY :lol:.

The next week I half-arsed an attempt at removing the manifold, without success; old, awkward, rusty etc so I made the executive decision (bearing in mind this would be my first summer driving the car) to remove the engine, and then while i'm at it, smooth the bay O_o:lol:.

I haven't really done anything other than servicing an engine before so called upon a few mates to help take it out and advise on getting it looking nicer whilst still running! (This has now turned into them getting stuck in with the bay as well so its now very much a joint project between us haha)

The starting point:

Bit of labelling, not that a lot of it will be re-used anyway:

Didn't have the tool for the driveshafts and couldn't remove the hub nuts sooooo alley oop:

Quick choppy of the raintray:

Nice rust hole:

That's the current state, more work tomorrow :thumbs:(Sorry about some of the iffy mobile pictures)

Back to the top
Nice work of getting the engine and gear out  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice work of getting the engine and gear out  :thumbs:

Thanks Hairy  :).

Did a quick refurb of the steelies, couldn't decide wether to go gloss black or satin black so did 2 of each. Will decide which one I like and then do the other 2 to match  :cool: :

And also pulled the whole loom out to de-bodge and lose everything I wont be using:

Back to the top
love a yellow gti  :thumbs: hate wiring  :'(

matt

Back to the top
Well it's been 6 months since doing anything to the Golf so I thought it was about time to blow the cobwebs off and get started again! :lol:

The starting point and what's to come:

Will be fitting 2 new inner wing fronts and making the sides of the front panel to match

Back to the top
Cut a few bits out and cleaned some sealer and the remainder of the rain tray off:

More work tomorrow with any luck :thumbs:

Back to the top
love this thing. makes me want to paint mine yellow now!!

Back to the top
Awesome work :D love the colour :D

jamie

Back to the top
…… 2 years later :lol:.

So as is the case with most of this project, the engine bay took longer than expected!

I seem to have misplaced most of the mid-work pictures unfortunately but I'll show you what I can find

Welding up extra holes/rust patches/inner wing fronts:

Back to the top
While I was working on the bay, my mate Taylor mentioned he had a 9A engine that he'd sell. Only problem being it was in many, many pieces and I'd never done anything more than a rocker cover gasket on an engine before! Luckily he agreed to guide me with the rebuild of it and so it made it's way home with me :D.

I really wanted to do most of the work myself so asked him to show me the start of each step and then I'd continue with it. Worked great and can't thank him enough for his help and patience! :thumbs:.

Again, unfortunately I can't find a lot of the progress pictures so here's just a few:

Said Taylor:

Little test fit in the bay:

Back to the top
Engine back out and more progress on the bay:

After many hours of filler and prep work and losing my fingerprints a couple of times over it was ready for primer

Now by this time I no longer worked at the bodyshop but my old boss kindly let's me use the facilities still, and so I booked a week off work and went with the car to continue the final stages of prep and to have it painted

My friend Craig was trusted with the gun skills as he is an epic painter!

Primer:

And the paint job, he was literally sitting on the floor in the bay painting it :lol:.

He's done a superb job too :cool:.

Back to the top
Lots of fast forwarding now:

Refurbed and painted all the suspension, steering and brake components:

Got me some carbs:

And had an exhaust manifold made by Dave at EMP performance which is a work of art:

Few more pictures as the bay was coming together:

The battery in the boot and a temporary carpet:

Back to the top
And finally after another 2 and a half years off the road, it was back on 4 wheels again! Complete with some TH lines I bought :D

Special thanks to Colin, Benson, Malley, Barry and Travo for their helping hands at various times! Couldn't have finished it without them  :thumbs:.

Also currently refurbing these as an alternative (narrower and more manageable) to the Schmidts. Sand blasted and hand polished so far, going for paint very soon ;).

Still got some tidying to do in the bay, and then the interior needs some attention, but happy for now :D

Last edit: by Morgie

Back to the top

Morgie's 81 GTi restoration - Engine bay time!

Awesome.. Good Stuff..

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Back to the top
Just read this thread, awesome car.

Whats the stats on the Schmidts, love the look they give the car?

Back to the top
Just found this thread...wow this car is awesome!!

Back to the top
love this thing.

mk1's suit yellow so well  :cool:

Back to the top
Thanks very much folks! :)

The Schmidts are 14x8" with 195/40/14s on the front and 14x9" with 195/45/14s on the rear, I don't know the offsets though I'm afraid
There are too many online users to list.