Skip navigation

Morgie's 81 GTi restoration - Engine bay time!

Back to the top
Nice one Dan, will be good to have you at the meet - you can see if you can find another pink Golf!  :lol:  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Some top restoration work there, car looks great now, but a bit scary to start with when your floor pan is a vast hole.  :lol:  Good luck with the rest of the restoration, keep the pictures coming. Matt.

Can I ask what anti stone chip you used?

Haha tell me about it!  :lol:

It's only light protection which I used on the interior and the underside of the sills, I'll have a look at work tomorrow, we're bound to have some laying around somewhere  :thumbs:

This is the texture it can give:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice one Dan, will be good to have you at the meet - you can see if you can find another pink Golf!  :lol: :cool:

Paha how very dare you! :lol:

Back to the top
Doors, bonnet, tailgate and rear arches primed:

Out of the booth and with the inner wings protected:

And the front wings rolled, undersealed and primed:

Much more rubbing down later… it's ready for paint! Apologies for the dodgy phone pictures here:

Back to the top

Morgie said

pazwaa said

Some top restoration work there, car looks great now, but a bit scary to start with when your floor pan is a vast hole.  :lol:  Good luck with the rest of the restoration, keep the pictures coming. Matt.

Can I ask what anti stone chip you used?

Haha tell me about it!  :lol:

It's only light protection which I used on the interior and the underside of the sills, I'll have a look at work tomorrow, we're bound to have some laying around somewhere  :thumbs:

This is the texture it can give:

Cheers dan. Car looks great all primed up, looking forward to seeing it in colour!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
So… the colour…

I was very particular about the type of colour I wanted; it had to be light as I hate looking after dark coloured cars, it had to be straight, non-metallic, non-pearl and most importantly I had to absolutely love it!

This decision took me about 2 years and the full restoration time to make!

and here it is…….

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back to the top
You're so lucky to be able to use work facilities, that's a right bonus! I'd paint my car pink for that!  :lol:  Sorry chap, last pink joke I promise (as I still don't know what they're on about, it doesn't look pink to me!)

Have you chosen what's happening to the rest of the car yet? i.e. engine, interior, wheels?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
To continue the trend I thought I'd have a go at painting it myself, turns out I could have chosen an easier colour for my first respray! :lol:After the first 4 coats it still looked green and it eventually took another 3 to bring out the right colour!

Amazingly the base turned out ok :wub::

Then came the lacquer, it all seemed ok in the booth but once out after a couple of days to air dry it turned out the finish wasn't amazing :(.

You can see the dryness on the rear quarter there ^^^

Forgetting about the shell for a while I concentrated on the removable panels and got them painted:

And hung on the shell, it's looking like a car again!:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

You're so lucky to be able to use work facilities, that's a right bonus! I'd paint my car pink for that!  :lol:  Sorry chap, last pink joke I promise (as I still don't know what they're on about, it doesn't look pink to me!)

Have you chosen what's happening to the rest of the car yet? i.e. engine, interior, wheels?

Haha the yellow makes it look less pink anyway  :upsidedown:

Coming up  ;)

Back to the top
Obviously I wasn't happy with my finish on the car so decided to redo it:

or more specifically to save my wallet getting another paint material based pounding I asked my workmate Ray to re-lacquer it for me and he did a brilliant job :cool:

Back to the top
That yellow is a superb colour, I'm guessing you don't need to do the inside of the doors and tailgate to match the rest of the interior because the metal isn't going to be on show.

Back to the top
wow love the colour, this is gona be great when finished, few yellow mk1 projects about at the mo, look real nice :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Wow, great patience and attention to detail  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Love a yellow MK1  :thumbs:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Back to the top
Cheers folks  :)

I haven't seen any other yellow ones in the making, better start reading some more builds  :lol:

Volksangyl said

That yellow is a superb colour, I'm guessing you don't need to do the inside of the doors and tailgate to match the rest of the interior because the metal isn't going to be on show.

Ahh now a lot of the inside of the doors and tailgate is on show but I'm hoping with the interior all built up it should look ok. If not I can always paint the insides grey to match  :cool:

Back to the top
Now I'll share with you the lowest point of the project :(.

Before it was painted I was in the process of moving house. I kept everything I stripped from the car in the garage in a giant box as you do. I came home one day to find the garage empty where my dad had cleared it all out to move to the new house and, you guessed it, the whole lot had been chucked!! I lost headlights, tailights, sidetrims, every single seal and rubber, most of the glass, mirrors, handles, locks, carpets, headlining, most of the dash, arches, clips, screws and gaskets for everything, numberplates and holders and who knows what else, I was absolutely gutted and couldn't understand how it had all been thrown away without even a thought to what it all was! :(.

That was a bad day for sure and it took a while to blow over.

Anyway that's now passed and it brings us to what I've been doing for the last 18 months; buying new parts and building it up!

Here's some pics from when it was painted to now

On the trailer leaving my work where it had spent the last 2 years:

With the GTi grill which I thankfully had stored somewhere else (the engine bay is a job for another year):

Think it needs lowering a bit :lol::

Having fun with the wiring, need to get some sort of CD player in there at some point:

The first of the new seals :D:

Back to the top
Shame your old man binned all the stuff mate. I'd be :P:P:P.

Good luck getting her finished :)

Back to the top
I bought some wheels:

Tried them on:

Before

After

Rolled rear arches ;)

Decided they were a bit too big and heavy, so I bought some more wheels :lol::

Tried them on:

And with some new arches courtesy of Funk held up to the car along with an old bumper just to give me an idea:

And how they currently look :lol:

Back to the top
Oh no that would be a tough one to forgive!

Liking seeing this come together ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Those rims suit the car very well mate. Nice purchase
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.