Skip navigation

Replacement DX won't work

Back to the top
Turns out my mate had mutalated the dizzy 3pin to fit….which it didn't. Tried by turning ignition on and plugging pin into my original dizzy and the fuel pump went. Swapped dizzys and put dizzy where it should go but won't start up. Gonna line dizzy up where old one was to see if it fires then

Last edit: by Birtymeek

Why did I start this

Back to the top
so long as the HT leads are going to the right cylinders in the firing order it should fire. 1 -3 -4 -2 is the correct order cylinder 1 being the furthest left by the pulleys then working right 2,3,4.

failing that you will have to start from the begining with timing, checking its all ok and the valves are in the right place when the marks are lined up.

There is a good how to on here if you search for it.

Last edit: by pearcestu

Back to the top
No such luck just a loud bang
 :-(

Why did I start this

Back to the top
I don't think it matters what position the dizzy is in as long as the rotor arm is pointing to no.1 lead when at tdc on the cam pulley and crank pulley timing mark is set. Then put your leads in firing order 1342 clockwise. Sorry if I,m telling you how to suck eggs. You could always pull dizzy out and turn around when timing marks are set if you're not happy with the position. Also I agree with Rubjonny that the rotor arm looks poor in the picture, check dizzy cap also.

Back to the top
No worries. Put my new dizzy cap and rotor on to be sure. It doesn't want to fire despite fuel and spark most bizarre

Why did I start this

Back to the top
that's right its not where the dizzy points as such that's important just the fact that it points to a lead on the dizzy at TDC.

That lead is then connected to cylinder 1

the rotor arm turns clockwise (right) so the next lead round goes to cylinder 3 then cylinder 4 then 2.

that should get it started provided all is ok with the timing marks and the engine is correctly at TDC.

Back to the top
Got it to fire now but it's dies after about 5 seconds

Why did I start this

Back to the top
all the base idle and co settings will be out of whack now, will it stay running when revved? does fuel pump run on for a few seconds after it cuts out (suggesting ignition fault rather than fuel)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Yeah it'll stay running when revved and fuel pump whines once its died

Why did I start this

Back to the top
ok sounds liek you need to get it hot then reset base idle and co. wind idle screw out a bit to keep it running

Back to the top
Thanks all. I do have a constant buzzer though with flashing oil light

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Is the engine ticking? 

Have you tried grounding the wire that goes to the high pressure sensor? 

Is the earth wire on the rocker cover??

Back to the top
if it buzzes at idle summat up with the clocks but as said check the switch wiring.

you should have a white 1.8 bar switch in the filter housing, and a brown/blue switch in the side of the head.

one thing, how long has engine been sat, and was it drained of oil?

Back to the top
Well after a while the buzzer went off today whilst I had an attempt at an MOT.  the coolant light stayed on though! Unfortunately no matter what I tired with the idle and co adjustment it wouldn't pass

Why did I start this

Back to the top
For the setup you can either take it to someone for a tune up or buy a strobe light £20ish online.

You need to setup the dynamic timing when the engine is warm then adjust the mixture and Idle once you know the timing is correct.  Good online tutorials if you search google.

Your coolant light could just be an airlock or faulty sensor if you try bridging the connector wires that should tell you if the sensor is faulty or if its a wiring issue.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.