Skip navigation

My Black Sportline - Update on my sold car :-)

Back to the top
Just out checking the connections on the coil for the rev counter and gave the underside of the bonnet a 1 minute wipe with a cloth and what s difference.

Back to the top
Big difference but the OCD in me wouldn't be able to stop there! I'm no detailing addict (to me you just clean a car) but the last time I 'wiped' an engine bay quickly I ended up cleaning the whole lot!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Big difference but the OCD in me wouldn't be able to stop there! I'm no detailing addict (to me you just clean a car) but the last time I 'wiped' an engine bay quickly I ended up cleaning the whole lot!  :lol:

And u think I wanted to stop !! My wife is away with work and I had to get my son to bed so I couldn't do anymore BUT when I finish work at 1300 on Friday right until Sunday lunchtime for once I'm not doing anything so its mk1, mk1, BMW,BMW and grass cutting time.
I hope to have all the cars sparkling by Sinday and shorter grass :-)

Back to the top
Wowzaz, thats clean underneath!! :cool:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Wowzaz, thats clean underneath!! :cool:

Its like the dirt/grime version of  waxoyl :-)

Back to the top
Chris you wont sleep tonight! You'll put the boy to bed, get to bed yourself and be lying there thinking "well if I just do that…and that…and…"

and before you know it you'll be out of bed and in the garage!

Put the pics up in the morning of your overnight cleaning stint!  :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Chris you wont sleep tonight! You'll put the boy to bed, get to bed yourself and be lying there thinking "well if I just do that…and that…and…"

and before you know it you'll be out of bed and in the garage!

Put the pics up in the morning of your overnight cleaning stint!  :lol:

I do exactly that before I go to sleep, only I'm thinking about ways to weld stuff :lol:   I call it 'restoration insomnia'

Back to the top
Yeah I have that too - although I've spent more time thinking about it than actually doing it!  :$

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
.....I.......must........clean........the.......bonnet................................help.............

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

…..I…….must……..clean……..the…….bonnet…………………………..help………….

LMAO!

Sweet dreams!  :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nice work Chris. You're getting quicker with each Sportline you do :lol:  Bonnet and boot have come up a treat.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Massbad69 said

…..I…….must……..clean……..the…….bonnet…………………………..help………….

LMAO!

Sweet dreams!  :lol:

Did you sleep well Chris?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Slept brilliant Andy.

Ordered a starter motor as well.

1330 tomorrow and it will be all systems go right through til Sunday on it. Just need 2 litres of G13 for the coolant change from VW and fire away :-)

Dave I haven't done much to be fair but I hope to get a good bit done with my 15 yr old helping this weekend.

Back to the top
Been on the car with my son for 6 hours today, doing all the daft things.

Spark plugs
Dizzy cap and rotor arm
Coolant change with new thermostat
Rocker cover off and cleaned and new gasket on
Door jams cleaned
Underside of bonnet cleaned
Engine bay surround cleaned
Carpets tidied up
All window stickers removed
Glass cleaned
New gearstick gaiter fitted
New handbrake cover fitted
Scuttle tray area cleaned
Rear badges removed

On closer inspection it might need a good bit of paint, I'm no expert but I would think from mid trim line down, both doors, both rear quarters, both bumpers, front panel pulled out a bit and painted and then the remainder paint corrected.

After all that today, it wouldn't start, starter motor I think but how would I know, I'm only good at cleaning ???

After all that it won't start

Back to the top

Back to the top
Smashing work Chris. She's beginning to look much better now :)

Back to the top
great pic of all 3 of them mate :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Cheers boyz

Never done much on the cars today, took the side trims and clips off and cleaned the area.

Need to wait for the starter to turn up then get it booked into my garage for the manifold gasket and inspection, fingers crossed.

Ordered new side black trims with clips and s rear lock seal.

Can't wait until its running fine, so I can get to the bodyshops for some quotes for full lower half paint with bumpers, bonnet and bootlid and a top half paint correction.

Wonder how much that will be ????

Back to the top
In all fairness mate, if you want to get bottom half painted etc, i would say you would be better hanging on and getting whole car blown over. Like you said no rush with this one ! ! :-)

I would say for what you are going to want painted would cost you £700 min for a good painter, then perhaps £200+ on top for the paint correction. It is likely the pro's in the paintshop might not wana take on the paint correction and just stick to paint, so then someone else may need to measure depth of paint all round then start doing paint correction. I know 2 people who have had full paint jobs for between £1000-£1200 ones not sprayed yet, but other one paint is really good, so might be worth the extra few quid then you know you have new paint all round and the thickness for in future when you want to mop it etc

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
I don't want the hassle of the whole car painted with getting all the glass etc out and roof ……

For me the top half of the cars paint is fine just needs buffed, the bonnet is okay tbh and the only issue with the Bootlid is the bottom 2 corners.

I will let the recommended bodyshop give me guidance but for me its as little paint as possible and hoping that the cost will be no more than  £1200 incl buff for a quality job as I'd rather pay a bit more at the bodyshop that did Dal's mk1 driver than save a couple of hundred quid and be disappointed.

As I got money off the car I can use that to get it looking as good as it can without breaking the bank.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.