Skip navigation

K04 upgrade question.

Back to the top
thanks for the advice

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

My car is just for road use mate, I do want more power though. I didn't realise you could hybrid the K03, that might be a better option, I really need to do some homework on this before I start buying bit's I don't need lol.

Read that a hybrid k03 is no better than a stock mapped k04. horses for course.

Back to the top
Sorry to revive a 6 month old thread, I am in the midst of trying to work out what to do here, a K03S is a much simpler upgrade in terms of literally just changing my stock K03 and having the car mapped as all the other work has been done, including my stainless down pipe that I would have to modify!  :P  

But is it worth getting a K04? I know in a heavier car it would be beneficial but is it really that much faster in a Mk1 being that its so light? Or does it just light the wheels up? My K03 even with a stock map spins the wheels right into third if I want it to…

Thoughts?

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
I went for the KO4 as one came along at the right time at the right price with manifold.

You are right in that it will light the wheels up in fact i think pretty much all 20vt do in 1st and 2nd without a diff in place.

I think a KO4 is the way to go if you want flexibility in upping power over time but there's more cost to factor in with injectors, fpr, oil and water lines to turbo and manifold.

As Jon says above it's horses for courses really. It all comes down to money. Another turbo to consider of course is a franken turbo :)

Smudger

Back to the top
no need to modify the downpipe. ko3 is the same turbo as k03s.

k04 upgrade is a massive expense.

i plan to stick with a remapped k03S, as you say you can light up the wheels in 3rd on stock power.

Back to the top

JonP said

no need to modify the downpipe. ko3 is the same turbo as k03s.

k04 upgrade is a massive expense.

i plan to stick with a remapped k03S, as you say you can light up the wheels in 3rd on stock power.
Sorry Jon, I probably didn't make that clear, this to me is the big advantage that its a bolt on mod, it usually at least requires (On a Mk4 platform anyway) FMIC, Decent Induction/Air Filter and Decat Exhaust to comfortably see 220 horses. All of which, due to the conversion I have in place already as most will.

I think 220bhp in a car that weighs sub 1000kg will be more than adequate lol But will it get boring…

I may go K03S for a while and see how I get on, as you say K04 can cost a fair amount of money, but if you are in the right place at the right time like Andy says you can do it on the cheap.

Whats a Franken Turbo? **Goes to Google it…

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Peteg60 has one on his 20vt. Think it's a hybrid setup. Don't know much about them tbh but Pete loves his :)

CLICK ME

Back to the top

Love the look of that cast high flow manifold, I'm not a fan of the welded items, too much heat IMO for the welds to handle constantly, it will break eventually unless you spend fortunes on a manifold…

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

smudger said

Peteg60 has one on his 20vt. Think it's a hybrid setup. Don't know much about them tbh but Pete loves his :)

CLICK ME

Beat you to it lol

Whats the damage on the kit imported Pete?

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
yeh a ko4 adds up if U already have ko3/ko3s. Alot to change. Ko3s with a diff is what U want

Back to the top
lol there was nothing cheap about his turbo.

I think if you were to price it all up to go k04, you'd be getting close to a grand.

downpipe £300
remap £250- 300ish
stock turbo and manifold and oil/water lines £300 (rough price from ebay)
injectors £80

in a way its almost cheaper to start again and source a k04 engine complete, rather than just buying the good bits.

Back to the top
Best thing will be then send your ko3 to beach buggy turbo in UK and he make U a hybrid. These are pushing 300bhp. Injectors need changing and larger maf. The f21 is a good set up aswell but the oem mani U have flows the best so I would send turbo of to be hybrid. You might need forge rods if pushing into 300bhp

Back to the top

peterg60 said

yeh a ko4 adds up if U already have ko3/ko3s. Alot to change. Ko3s with a diff is what U want

Might be the way I go for now, I'm still not 100% though… How much was the import etc for the Franken Turbo? $999 looks like a solid deal if the import isn't too expensive.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Helps if you know someone out there who can package it properly for you Joe ;)

Back to the top
I paid 76 quid import tax . the f21 U be looking 280 BHP. It still add up say 700 for kit injectors tax shipping. If u wanna do it one time just slap k04 hybrid on and have 3 boost setting :)

Back to the top
Check my build thelread in next few days frankenturbo sent me turbo and manifold to test :)

Back to the top
That K300 looks nice, seems a good way to go but as I have found with Hybrids, everything needs to be running spot on to make sure they are running properly and not over boosting as that will end them lol

That might be the way I go now, cheers Pete! I will have a look on Audi-Sport.net and send him a PM. The main thing that puts me off of K04 is the down pipe modification, my exhaust was custom made by Roy at Powerflow in Bromley and it is a work of art, I don't want to mess with it if I can help it as I've moved now and I don't fancy a 300 mile drive to have the down pipe altered, which means getting someone else to change it for the K04 and I don't fancy that…

I'm not over bothered about the cost, I can save up for as long as I need, I will never sell my Mk1, too much blood, sweat and tears have gone into it so I want to do it right.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

peterg60 said

Check my build thelread in next few days frankenturbo sent me turbo and manifold to test :)

What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking mate? PM me if you like.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
I've got a full set up im putting up for sale next few days. A v3 rentless manifold and trackslag 3 inch Dow pipe both only done 500 miles and a ko4 oem turbo done 73000 miles all U need then is injectors. nice 280-300bhp set up

Back to the top
All was sent free to test :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.