Skip navigation

Can my old cabby be a 1978 T plate ?????????

Back to the top
A strange one.

Before I had any clue about mk1's, I bought a cabby 9 yrs ago.

It is on a T plate or 1978 and its got a later 1.6 GTI engine in it.

I sold it after a year as I was moving to a house with no garage and my wife's workmate bought it. He's just been round tonight as we have not seen him for years and he still has the car.

Its sat in his garage for 4 yrs not moving, so ongoing to se it soon as its overheating and the brakes are jammed on.

My question is this - How can it be a 1978 car as I thought cabbys never came out until 1979/80 ???

Its got a V5 and is legal so I am lost ??

Chris

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

A strange one.

I sold it after a year as I was moving to a house with no garage and my wife's workmate bought it. He's just been round tonight as we have not seen him for years and he still has the car.

Its sat in his garage for 4 yrs not moving, so ongoing to se it soon as its overheating and the brakes are jammed on.

My question is this - How can it be a 1978 car as I thought cabbys never came out until 1979/80 ???

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well I'm no expert and 78/79 was even before my time with VW.
What month was it registered?

The reason I ask is the production of cars then normally started well before official release and most likely still do to this day.
So maybe VW UK got there hands on one well before the official release.

Now I had as a demo the first Mk2 5dr GTI in the UK and that was about four months or so before the official launch!
There was another one but that was kept by VW UK.

Now if this Cabby was registered in the last 1/4 of 78 I kinda could believe it as production runs might have started in October of that year.

Either that of the DVLC balls it up and there's a Typo!  :lol:

Of course this is all pure guess work.  O_o

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
I don't know what month it was registered until I go round and see it soon.

Then I will see the V5 and photo it and try and work it out but its very strange.

It's all legal though as its got a V5, gets taxed, moted and insured but as I haven't even seen it for 7 yrs I am intrigued.

And when I owned it I just never knew enough about them to doubt anything or investigate.

Back to the top
Scroll down to 1978 and you'll see that the US began the Rabbit production in April 1978 and Karmann in January 1979 so guess it may be a typo with DVLA. 

Timeline - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top

Dano said

Scroll down to 1978 and you'll see that the US began the Rabbit production in April 1978 and Karmann in January 1979 so guess it may be a typo with DVLA. 

Timeline - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Hi Dano,

Not sure if that's completely correct because the Golf Mk1 (from what I understand) was launched as the 'Rabbit' in the US which would of been 1975. It was launched a year after European production began and got the name the 'Rabbit' because that was the Chinese New Year animal, which of course was the 'Rabbit'.
So one can assume that for the first fews years of production the Cars were built in Germany and exported until the Westmoreland plant was up and running.

And let's be thankful they didn't apply the same idea in Europe and named each new Model in the same way!
Because the Mk2 would have been known as the 'Monkey' and if there's a new model in 2015 it would be the 'Goat'. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0002076.html   :lol:

I'll stand corrected on this but that was always my understanding!  O_o
And I've probably missed the mark by a mile on this, but it's interesting as only yesterday I discovered that my 1990 Cabrio has the Mk2 GTI engine in it just turned down power wise!!!  
'Digifant II' fuel injection, CAT etc… :lol:

Chris, keep us posted on this please and are you going to buy it back?
Say for the same price you sold it for!  :lol:

Back to the top
The mk2 digifant (PB engine code) never came with a cat
i suspect someone has fitted a later engine to your cabby possibly from a mk3 if it has a cat

Back to the top

theclash said

The mk2 digifant (PB engine code) never came with a cat
i suspect someone has fitted a later engine to your cabby possibly from a mk3 if it has a cat

OK we are officially :offtopic:  but that's my fault.  :$
Honest mistake but I'm not in the UK.
I'm in Austria and you have to believe me when I say, my car as it stands is as it was straight out of the factory (apart from the wheels and the new hood color). It's now only done 55k from new, just replaced the original clutch!  :lol:

If you pm me I can send you all the proof you need but let's get back to the Topic in hand and Chris's really interesting question.  O_o

I'm certain that someone on here will know the definitive answer but that's what makes this Club the best Golf Mk1 forum in the World!  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

A strange one.

Chris

Cabrio production started in 1979 - your car will have been on a private plate

Banner

Back to the top
Haaaaaaaa your in Austria, my mistake I was referring to uk cars:$sorry for getting off topic but I now believe you :lol:

Back to the top

theclash said

Haaaaaaaa your in Austria, my mistake I was referring to uk cars:$sorry for getting off topic but I now believe you :lol:

No problem Mate.  :lol:

So Chris, are looking at buying back and starting a whole new project?  :thumbs:

Go on, now you know you want to…..! :ninja:

Back to the top
UK mk1 cabs with the digifant engine had cats too, which is what he has ;)

back on topic!

the very first mk1 cabrio rolled off the line 31.01.1979 according to etka, with VIN number 159 2800001. maybe compare this to your VIN?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Cheers

I will go round to the lads house who bought it from me next week and get the lowdown on it.

I will check out the V5 and see what the crack is as I am a bit baffled.

If its a private reg its nothing special, just an everyday reg so that would be pointless ??

I will phone the guy later and see whne he can let me see it ?

Chris

Back to the top
Private reg or not, the registration date on the log book will still be the same. I think you will find the car was probably just registered at the end of 1978. I work for Ford and Mazda and have seen this before. Years ago you could tax and register a car before it came off the production line. All you need is the chassis and it can be done. The first owner of this car probably wanted it ASAP.

Banner

Back to the top
I have still not been round to see his V5 or my old car yet, hopefully soon so I can figure it all out  O_o

Back to the top

Red-or-Dead said

Private reg or not, the registration date on the log book will still be the same. I think you will find the car was probably just registered at the end of 1978. I work for Ford and Mazda and have seen this before. Years ago you could tax and register a car before it came off the production line. All you need is the chassis and it can be done. The first owner of this car probably wanted it ASAP.

You've just jolted my memory and your absolutely right there!
It was also done from time to time to boost Monthly or quarterly registrations.

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

golfcabrio said

Red-or-Dead said

You've just jolted my memory and your absolutely right there!
It was also done from time to time to boost Monthly or quarterly registrations.

Correct. It is still done now from time to time. So there is every chance the car could be a 1978. Thats only the registration date. Not the day the build was completed or it was delivered to the customer.

Banner

Back to the top
im sure there would be dates on parts of the trim etc? i noticed the other day my alloys are stamped 1983! maybe worth having a little root around see if the is any dates on the trim parts

Back to the top
I was meant to go round last night but my mate never got home til late, so hopefully I will get round coon and see the V5 and the car and get the answer to the reg, whether its a 78 or a private plate etc.

It shows u how much attention I paid when I bought it many years ago  :$

Back to the top
To be on a T plate (and not a private plate) the car would have to be registered before end of July 1978. Production started in 1979. VINs were allocated on BIW production. Thus it must be private or DVLA error.

Banner

Back to the top
Now, its amazing what I now know and have learned about mk1's in 9 yrs.

It's not a T plate its a 1984 on a private plate, its done 64k miles still on its original engine.

It's had a big bumper kit put on it and smoothed in !!

The guy with it now has had it the sprayed and its not a bad job.

It's got the original seats I think but white door cards.

After 9 years its still got charm :-)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.