Skip navigation

Jamiegolf's mk1 tintop resto

Back to the top
Hey guys, haven't been on here in a while, just bout myself a new project,a Y reg mk1 tintop gti,

Plans are to sort the rot in the shell, wings, rear panel, front panel, slight bit around the screen, rear arches, spare wheel well.
im planning on fitting a polo openair electric sunroof, lowered, banded steels, baby blue paint, small chrome bumpers, possibly a roof rack, single headlight chrome grill.
basically euro spec, the last one I build I regret selling it to this day, this one is guna be better…….

Last edit: by jamiegolf

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
Nice project you have got yourself mate by the looks of it. What's the timescale for getting her back on the road ?

Smudger

Back to the top
No real timescale really, I've got a 20vt conversion to finish building for a customer first, so it's going into storage for a while, I need to collect some parts for it so while I'm building the customers one I can collect bits for mine, I've got a rough plan in my head as to what I want to do with it, so I'm goings to steam ahead With the 20vt and get that done!!

View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Doing a 20v KO4 conversion myself at the moment with JonP. On the finishing straight now with it :)

Back to the top
Well finally moved my new mk1 into its new home where it's guna stay for a few months, until I start gathering panels that I need……..
List so far is
Wings (looking for drivers, found passenger)
Rear panel ( complete )
Front panel ( complete )
Rear arches repair panels  (have passenger looking for drivers)
Fuel filler repair( found)
Lower windscreen corner driver side (found)

Last edit: by jamiegolf

Back to the top
Not that big of a list mate, looks a decent car! Good luck with the resto :cool:

Back to the top
Double post!!

Back to the top
That's all i can see for now, I know there's a small patch needed Inside the front arch, small patch needed behind the rear shock at the bottom, sills looks like new! Inner sills feel good and solid, when I get it to the workshop I plan on fitting the shell into a jig and rolling it over to clean up the floor pan and inner arches, I'm tempted to get  the shell sandblasted to see what's lurking beneath the sealer but I know from my last tintop the shell it was solid, dirty with 30 years of road dirt but solid none the less, my theory is, if the sealer has lasted this long leave it alone as its obviously doing its job!! Until I spin it over I'm undecided!!

Back to the top
Well the panel collection is growing, the new rear panel arrived today,

drivers wing and drivers rear arch to get, guna replace the inner arch lips too as there not in perfect condition, front panel is also on the to buy list, still undecided weather to repair the fuel tank filler recess or to smooth it off and relocate it into the boot??

Back to the top
New stuff, always good to get new stuff :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

New stuff, always good to get new stuff :)

+1. Great when the postie arrives with MK1 parts :)

Back to the top
My plan for the car just gets better and better, things just keep falling into place!! I've got my openair sunroof working perfectly, so that ready to be fitted when work gets underway, I've also managed to blag a written off bora tdi PD 130 highline for the donor wiring loom, engine and gearbox for 300 quid! Result!! Just need to find some detailed info on the bora wiring so I can strip it down to an engine loom and get it to fit the mk1 somehow, I wasn't really at the stage to buy the engine and stuff but it was too good an operatunity to turn down!!

Back to the top
Result Jamie :)

Onwards and upwards mate  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Well  small update tonight, got the bora donor car back to the garage on Monday, stripped it of its good bits to sell, leather interior, alloy wheels, front end conversion and had started to tackle the wiring, I've decided ( on berts recommendation) to get hold of vagtronics in stoke n Trent, there going to delete my immobiliser from my ecu and build me a wiring loom from my whole harness, I'm sure I could chop and sort out the loom but I really don't fancy it!! So for 300 quid it's all done for me including  deleting the immobiliser! Not worth the time and agro to do it myself!
Few pics of today's progress
Engine ready to come out

The loom ready to be sent off and modified

Engine will be out by tomorrow night, need to give it a good clean, strip it too bare block and paint it, it has a small oil leak from the plug for the injector wiring, nothing a new O ring won't fix, will be ordering my conversion engine and gbox mounts soon, still undecided if I'm going to keep the 6 speed or change to a 5 speed, 5 speed would be much easier for speedo cable and driveshafts, the 6 speed will be custom shafts and some way of running the speedo…..

Back to the top
£300 including an immob delete is money well spent mate IMO. At least you have peace of mind when it comes back.

As for the gearbox depends on what you are going to be using the car for really and what ratios you want. 5 speed would be easier to do as you say but 6 speed is a bit different with this conversion ;)

Good luck with it mate :)

Back to the top
Going to watch this......I would love another tintop mk1 but with a tdi in it would be the be great

Vw golf 1980 cab (girlfriend's)
Vw T25 1.9dg auto hi-top autohomes camper
Alfasud 1.5ti green cloverleaf
Alfa 155 2.0 16v
Alfa 155 Q4 lhd 1 for 13 in uk
Alfa 155 2.5td lhd the only 1 in uk

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

£300 including an immob delete is money well spent mate IMO. At least you have peace of mind when it comes back.

As for the gearbox depends on what you are going to be using the car for really and what ratios you want. 5 speed would be easier to do as you say but 6 speed is a bit different with this conversion ;)

Good luck with it mate :)
I thought 300 quid was a good price, I could do the loom myself, but just for the fact it will save me so much time I would rather spend the money and send it away, it also means I can concentrate on getting the bodywork sorted while not having to worry about the loom,
I wanted the 6speed purely for the fact I had a  speed in a mk1, but I will be happy with the 5 speed. Going to use the hydro clutch conversion setup from the caddy forum, run as much wiring and pipework hidden within the chassis as possible.
I going to be clearing my mums garage out this weekend, so I can get the car out of my storage container and into somewhere that I can work on it. I want to trial fit the engine and then remove it to crack on with the body incase indeed to modify anything

Back to the top
Sounds good to me mate. Best of luck with it. Sounds like she's going to be minter when done :)

Back to the top
The engine is out, started to strip it for cleaning and painting, decided to go with the 5 speed 02j gearbox, I can't justify spending that extra cash on a set of custom shafts and still had the issue of a speedo drive,
I traded the 6 speed box setup with a friend of mine who wanted to fit it into his mk4 non pd 110bhp tdi, suits me! I can now use cabby 100mm shafts, guna convert the steering column and run hydro clutch, I've heard horror stories of ppl using the seat conversion thing and it gives a heavy and stiff clutch and even more of a risk of it ripping the cable into the bulkhead! Mean a cleaner look in the engine bay too! Will post some pics once its all clean and painted. Oh and I'm still collecting panels!

Back to the top
Nice project with nice plans. Im looking forward to the updates :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.